Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I recently got my 2014 180TDI Touareg and I love it. It came with the genuine VW tow hitch fitted so figured I would be all good to go with my carried over Hayman Reese Hitch for my caravan in use behind my previous L322 Range Rover Supercharged. I would just slide it in and all good. Well not so. The HR hitch slides in ~30mm and gets stuck at that point. The hole is clear it just goes no further. I spoke to my tow hitch supplier from when I got the forged HR hitch previously and he was surprised to hear this. It is possible that some light relief with grinder may ease it into position - might just be a high spot. In any case it was an easy fit into the Range Rover hitch receiver and I thought these receivers were made dimensionally to an international standard 50mmX50mm.

Anyone else have experience with this or any comments to offer?

Regards

Pete.

:confused2:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome to the site.
I have a forged HR hitch in my '08 which fits into the OEM towbar with no issues, fits into the 50x50 hole with a couple of millimetre clearance, you say it goes in 30mm so why don't you measure the HR tail to make sure it's of uniform diameter for it's whole length, that should tell you if the problem lies with the hitch or the receiver.
I did have a problem lining up the hole nearest to the tongue as the 50x50 receiver is not all that deep, I had to grind off 12mm from the HR to get the 1st hole to line up.

Tonyb

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'll do that Tony with a vernier calliper and check it dimensionally and see if I can specifically locate the high spots. As you say it is quite a short 50X50 section and so I may have to lop a piece off the end to allow the first hole to line up with the cross pin. I ran out of patience at the time as I was excited to look over the car which I had just received (shipped from Vic to WA). As I am FIFO time is very limited for me so it is a task for my next swing out home.

Regards

Pete.

:wink2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts