Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I've only been able to find pictures of it failing, but none that are "good". I can't tell if my center carrier is good to go for another long road trip while towing. It has some cracking but it looks like they are cracks on a glazing of some sort, rather than the rubber itself.

It was last replaced 20k miles ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Doesn't look too worn to me. I haven't had mine fail on my yet, knock on wood and I'm at 95K on my 2008. That looks to me like it's in good condition.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Edit*** if it was replaced 20k ago you really should be good***. Actually looks pretty good. However, it is hard to see any separation from a still picture. Under the Treg push firmly one way then the other (side to side and up and down) on the driveline and watch for any separation in the areas where rubber bushing meets metal (carrier and bearing housing).

VW did a poor job in making the metal to rubber contact points substantial enough to take this type of repetitive movement over many, many years of ozone exposure. Once separation starts it gets exponentially worse very quickly.

If you really are concerned remove the metal plate (I think it is like six screws) and you can get a better visual. This will allow a gentle manipulation of the carrier bracket (as it will no longer be bolted to body, you can use less force).

All the above in perspective, your CMB does look to be in good condition.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you want to see what a failed bearing support looks like check this video of my Mercedes:

Note that the support failed because the u joint went bad, creating a lot of vibration. The shaft should show no vibration / wobbles when things are working properly.

-J

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
Common part. Used in non-VW vehicles also. Stupid things always rip apart sooner or later.

They are good until they are torn.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The bit that lets go, in most cases, is the thin rubber in the "diaphragm" between the two solid parts of the rubber which are a] the bit up against the carrier itself and b] the bit up against the actual bearing.

The diaphragm in the middle of these two lumps is where you should be looking for cracks and splits.

At first sight, yours looks fine . . . so far!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts