Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R Line V8
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a guide to assist you to update the RNS510 Firmware.

What's an RNS510 (MFD3)?

It is one of these:

The method to successfully update the required firmware is detailed, and MUST be followed step-by-step.

Firmware files won't be supplied via this thread. They are complex, region specific (Europe, Australia/NZ).

WARNING: North American firmware updates are extremely difficult, and you should discuss firmware update with your preferred VW Dealer.
Some can be obtained by searching through region specific forums for VAG specific cars. These can include

www.vwgolf,net.au
www.watercooled.org.au
VWnavi.com

Neither I, nor this forum accept ANY responsibility for firmware that you download from these locations, nor do 'we' accept any responsibility in respect to unexpected results.

For what it's worth, I have not had any problems with firmware I have downloaded and installed. For Australian members, I can provide all required firmware, maps and Points of Interest files.

Also this is definately NOT suitable for North America units.

DISCLAIMER

User accepts all responsibility for modifying their RNS510.
Loading firmware will possibly delete your map data and music. You have been warned.
Please read all the warnings here before continuing.

Additional warning:
DO NOT attempt to load firmware 4120 on a unit with HW radio version 0003 or below (check in test menu under version information). You could permanently damage your unit!

Installation instructions:

1. Firstly, have your VW map DVD on hand ready to install. You will need this to reload the mapping data onto the RNS510 hard drive.

2. Download the .iso file from the links above. Burn to a CD at the SLOWEST possible speed using a program such as imgburn. The RNS510 units are notorious for being very picky about cd media. If your firmware load fails, its more likely than not that it just can't read the CD. Try again with a different brand of CD, try a different burner, or use a DVDR. NOTE: I have had good success with burning using xpcdburner onto TDK CDR media using Track At Once recording method.

3. Unlock the car. DO NOT put the keys in the ignition. Turn on the RNS510 and let it start up. Insert your firmware CD and follow the instructions on the screen. The unit will reboot a few times. The whole process can take an hour.

4. Insert your map DVD and load the maps. In order to use custom POIs you need Aus/NZ map DVD version 4.1 or above.

Any questions?

Reactions: VWT0UR08

·
Registered
2010 R50
59 Posts
Hi Steve
Can you please point me in the right direction regarding my RNS510-MID After using VCDS to scan the Car the unit isnt working it comes up with the welcome page for10-15 seconds then blanks out
Ive tried a soft reset with no luck This is the Blue R50 from Pickles Victoria I dont have any map dvd or the code
unit is 7L6 035 680 B up til the scan everything was fine
Thanks for any suggestions John

·
Registered
2015 R Line V8
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, it seems strange that the unit no longer works after a scan has been completed.
I can call by during the week (Wednesday - Friday day time) or maybe next Saturday/Sunday afternoon after 2pm (work commitments up to 2pm on weekends).
Let me know what suits.

·
Registered
2015 R Line V8
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John,

I'm required for grand father duties on Wednesday afternoon. (Tomorrow). Is the morning ok? Or Thursday or Friday better.....will take about 1.25 hrs to process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.