Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my noobness on this, I've made several searches on this without finding my answer. I'm going to look at an 07 Touareg today, and want to make sure it's an FSI. I've heard there was some overlap in that year model. Is there a VIN or any other difference with an FSI vehicle to indicate which engine it has? What's throwing me off is the 07 I'm looking at has the same headlight of an 06, and I've seen other 07's with the newer looking headlights.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
There are no 07s with the newer front end..the 04-07 look the same on the outside. All 07s have the FSI engine.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If it's a V8, the motor should look like this:

image-1701316767.jpg

·
Registered
774 Posts
Forgive my noobness on this, I've made several searches on this without finding my answer. I'm going to look at an 07 Touareg today, and want to make sure it's an FSI. I've heard there was some overlap in that year model. Is there a VIN or any other difference with an FSI vehicle to indicate which engine it has? What's throwing me off is the 07 I'm looking at has the same headlight of an 06, and I've seen other 07's with the newer looking headlights.
I assume you are in North America. However, if you aren't it could be why you are seeing differences. The Touareg was facelifted in 2007 in Europe and the rest of the world and 2008 in North America. So, you will see two different looks in 2007.

The best way to tell is the headlights and front end. If the headlights have the round drop out on the bottom of them, it's a T2 (facelifted version). If they are rectangular, it's a T1.

In North America, in 2007, both engines were FSI. The 3.6 FSI was new in 07 (from the 3.2 previously) and the 4.2 was new as an FSI as well.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Given all this, I encountered some T1 with T2 headlights! The owners like to have the looks of a newer car..

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
For North America, the 04-06 engine has 40 valves, the 07-09 engine is a 32 valve.

The newer engine gets significantly better fuel economy and is 40hp more powerful

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The 4.2 liter 40 valve V8 from the 04-06 and the 32 valve 4.2 FSI V8 share the same displacement and that's about it. The FSI V8 in the Touareg is basically a detuned motor from the RS4, it shares many of the same components.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Just jumping onto what Perry said, its the same Audi engine found in the S4/S5/Q7 and also in the R8 and RS4 (albeit they have different camshafts and dry sumps).

Totally different engines, and they also sound quite different. You can hear the tapping of the FSI injector pumps when the hood is open....its a very cool engine.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yea, it's a cool engine. The RS4 got the FSI V8 with a whopping 450 HP and a redline of 8,000 RPM. The FSI V8 in the current RS5 has a redline of 8250!

That's a high revving V8 and a lot of HP for a normally aspirated 4.2 liter motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts