Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The button to start/stop the engine is starting to peel at the "N" in engine. It is just a small piece that peeling, but man is it sharp, I have shed blood because of this.

I am going to purchase a new button, but wanted to know if I can just pop it off or do I need to take the center stack apart.

Thanks
Marc

Reactions: antonroland

·
Registered
350 Posts
The button to start/stop the engine is starting to peel at the "N" in engine. It is just a small piece that peeling, but man is it sharp, I have shed blood because of this. I am going to purchase a new button, but wanted to know if I can just pop it off or do I need to take the center stack apart. Thanks Marc
Exact same thing happened to me. It's really sharp.

You will have to remove the center console trim to pop out the button. I taped a watch screen protector on mine to stop further peeling...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
To both of you - and any others who read this:

This is becoming a common complaint.

One guy in the UK had the broken piece embedded in his finger tip.

Tell your dealer to replace the switch FOC [I think it has been modified] and raise a formal complaint for personal injury with VWoA.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I glued a dime over mine as a temporary fix unit member Spockat here had replacement ones in stock. It was an easy fix with instructions included in his kit.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
A video arcade button (80s-90's era) will fit nicely over it, too. You can even cut off a bezel and glue it on top of the chrome surround. I attached mine with silicone sealant so I can easily remove it if I want. If you use the transparent colored buttons, your start/stop switch will glow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer wanted $300 to replace button.

I ordered part (7P1-905-217-A-3Q7) from this place Discount OEM VW Parts & Accessories | Volkswagen Parts Nation. I used Icon instructions above to take console apart, popped out old, popped in new and 30 minutes later, I have a new button installed.

I think I am going to look into doing the autohold retrofit.

Marc

Reactions: antonroland

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi All,
As mine is starting to do this, I was wondering if anyone had experience with some kind of sticker or replacement cover for the button that could go on the existing hardware. Is removing the rest of the flaking silver material an option or something that has been done with success?

·
Registered
320 Posts
got my replacement button from ECS

the central trim can be pulled by hand, not tool required. Just be careful with the connector underneath, otherwise pretty straight forward.

while you are at it, I highly recommend to get the auto-hold switch

·
Registered
764 Posts
What's the benefit of the autohold switch?

Also for those that replaced the start stop switch. I wonder if some clear epoxy or clear coat over the start stop switch would prevent it from peeling.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Also for those that replaced the start stop switch. I wonder if some clear epoxy or clear coat over the start stop switch would prevent it from peeling.
You don't have to hold the brake when standing still at a light

·
Registered
350 Posts

try this

I started to put this on all my vw’s from day one

·
Registered
White 2011 Tdi 4,2L V8
261 Posts
Mine also did it. I, too, can confirm having lost a few drops of blood😂.

In my case I MIGHT have sped up the situation with some potentially overzealous deep-cleaning when I got her...😉

Thanks for the links and advice shared above!👍🏻

1 - 13 of 13 Posts