Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn! No one to blame but myself. ](*,)

I was in a bit of a hurry this AM and started backing out of the garage before the overhead door was completely up. The door ripped the roof antenna off my '07 Touareg. I know the mast just screws into the base but the piece it screws into was pulled out of the base.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm assuming that the base has to be replaced but how does it come off? I'm hoping that the entire headliner doesn't have to come off!

Thanks!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
THere's a large nut (19mm or 21mm if I remember correctly) under the headliner holding that base on. Its a pain in the a$$ to get to. yes you'll need to drop the back end of the headliner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the solution I suspected but hoped that there might be a quick & easy fix.
Thank you for the quick response. Much appreciated!

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
If you search for the thread "How to replace rear hatch struts" there is some great pics by NickM and a video by yours truly that will get you the headliner dropped.

·
Registered
489 Posts
How come my 05 V8 doesnt have a roof antenna?

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
No Satellite Radio...Mine doesn't have it either...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to drop the headliner and get the broken antenna base removed - a replacement will be ~$70.
Without the antenna, AM & FM reception seem to be fine. The car doesn't have GPS or satellite radio so I'm thinking that the antenna serves no purpose except to get in the way of the roof rack.
Does anyone know what that antenna is for?

Instead of buying a replacement, I could just get a dummy shark fin antenna and stick it on there.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
AM/FM antenna's are integrated into the rear side windows. The shark fin on top was for Satellite radio. Maybe they put it on all of them, even if it wasn't optioned as such?

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
AM/FM antenna's are integrated into the rear side windows. The shark fin on top was for Satellite radio. Maybe they put it on all of them, even if it wasn't optioned as such?
That's my guess too...my 07 didn't have sat radio but it had that same antenna.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey globe man was anything connected to it? I was looking into upgrading mines to a t2 they have the shark fin and i have the base radio.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey globe man was anything connected to it? I was looking into upgrading mines to a t2 they have the shark fin and i have the base radio.
Yes, The antenna assembly has about an 18" lead that plugs into a connector on the right side of the roof. My radio doesn't have satellite reception but everything's there if you upgraded the head unit for it. I don't plan to ever need the antenna so I ordered a dummy shark fin antenna ($4 ebay) just to cover the hole. I'll use silicon sealant to be sure (I Hope!) it doesn't leak.

Here's what the connector looks like. The antenna lead is the wire with the yellow tag:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rear antenna

Mine was bad also when I bought my 06. I was told by my local VW dealer it is the antenna for the remote door locks. $70

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my '07, that antenna appears to have no function. It has been removed and everything (that I'm aware of) still works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was damaged when I bought it. If I walk up from the rear the key fob works from 10 feet. If I walk up from the front it is 5 feet or less. The door handles always work when the Fob is in my hand. I was actually looking at some of the BMW shark fin antennas in the junk yard at it looks like they my have the same hookups as ours. If I find out anymore I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The roof antenna is for the remote door locks. I take mine off sometimes when hauling my kayak. When it's off the remote won't work more than 15-20ft from the car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Can anyone tell me where in T1 or T2 does the factory install the satellite antenna? I am planning to put the RNS-510 in my 06 so the antenna is an addition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts