Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Treg people,

One day 5 months ago I was blessed with the dreaded AFS check vec wallet problem.

After 2-3 afs swivel motor replacements I managed to fix the issue. The motor for some reason was dead.

Now I was receiving the afs issue on random times once a month and with a restart it was away.

But why the problem occurred in first place and why the motor was burned?

Please check the first attachment for the reason [dont know how to insert inline pics]
Thats really some quality wires :)

Check the second attachment with the harness plastidiped, yes plastidiped.

No issues from then till now, headlamps work really well, I will be able to do it till summer when the temp will go up enough to melt the plastidip.

Why I did the jerryriged solution?
I bought the replacement harness from the dealer to solve the issue once and forall BUT when I plugged the new harness headlights with all errors on. Was not able to do basic setting or other stuff due to impedance difference with the old harness???? !!!

Anyways, I hope the above are helpfull for treg people.
Best,

N

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You don't fix that. You buy a new harnass from the agents. They aren't that expensive.

Part Number : 7L6 971 071

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not a bad idea for a temporary fix, though I'd have done it over really well. I now have the same issue and I can say with certainty that this is an issue with ALL older VW's around this age (12 to 14 years) so make sure to check yours before you have a complete failure. I had a 99.5 VR6 GTI and had the same issue and was hoping VW got wiser by my now 2014 Treg but alas no joy. I attempted to purchase a new harness but in spite of the description saying it should fit my vehicle it was 3 wires short of a full bushel so had to send back and order another one, this time I ordered a both sides as a package and saved a bit of money by doing so. I have 2 Tregs both I just bought for cheap, one is fairly good condition outwardly and one isn't but only for parts to help me make my other whole again and have been doing a full on resto more less. The good one has KESSY issues, now mostly sorted, thanks to some great advice from here, had A/C issues also turned out to be high pressure switch issues (that happened on my test drive but someone had been fiddling with the climate control before I bought it that was evident probably didn't know about the pressure switch, so helped me get a big discount on the purchase). Have disassembled and rehabbed the buttons on nearly my entire dash etc. looks awesome now, windshield wiper issues, headlight issues, needs a new timing belt but fortunately has not broken so not driving it until I get to it, will do water pump and tensioner also, has leaking valve cover gaskets and will do them as well as inspect and possibly replace timing chain slides if they have too much wear (hope not, that seems a pain in the butt job) but all in all I'm making great progress, also new serpentine belt.

I pulled my headlamps to inspect and came up with exactly the same thing as the above picture shows, couldn't pull my left headlamp yet because the gear broke off and so far none of the remedies I've read have helped get it out, access is a bitch due to radiator hose so will likely do this when I pull the rad to do the timing belt. I removed both of the headlamps from my parts Treg in hopes of new buckets and wiring harness but no joy on both counts as the bucket slide tracks are broken even though the locks work properly and the harnesses are also junk. On my other Treg, in the process of trying to remove the harness from both ends the fragile holder on the bucket broke so now I have to manually plug the harness in before reinstalling it but the harness isn't long enough to allow for me to have may hand in there and connect at the same time. The problem with the wiring is that it is cheap Chinese wire and then it runs into the connector where there is too much resistance at the plug for the electrical transfer so it heats up the wires and degrades the cheap insulation. VW manufacturers many parts in China so don't be surprised, it's one of their biggest manufacturing facilities. Depending the part (especially trim pieces) I often buy OEM parts from there much cheaper than anywhere else knowing they're still OEM and will be good for the life of my ownership, you just have to buy wisely.

Having said that, my plan now is to take my old harness and use the wires to extend my new harness so that the color code and gauge is correct using only the center portion of the harness which has not overheated. that overheating not only degrades the insulation but also the actual wiring if you look closely it is very thin and discolored so no longer viable for the loads it has to carry especially with Xenon lamps. I'll let you know how it goes, there is degradation on both ends but not serious in the headlight end so I intend to only cut once and any wires that have some slight degradation I will use heat shrink to re-insulate so as to only cut and splice the harness once to prevent too much resistance, though in theory solder should be very low increase, it's also possibly avoidable double work. :nerd:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You only get 30 minutes to type on here. So if you do a long post like the above do it elsewhere, edit, and then copy and paste!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
In my opinion, VW should have to fix defective wiring as a safety recall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my opinion, VW should have to fix defective wiring as a safety recall.
I agree, this is not poor upkeep this is a bonafied safety issue and potential fire hazard or head light failure when driving at night and it is absolutely a short coming (pardon that pun) of the product quality demonstrated in the last 3 VW's I've owned and is certainly in many others too only likley unknonw which is why I decided to post my findings and suggest that any VW owners let alone Treg owners have an inspection of theirs.

I got it noobytoogy, thought it may be due to my being a noob..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts