Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for the Links,
The Shifter Rod bushing could the culprit, i will get some audio/video and post it.

I'm pretty sure its not engine knocking or the sensors.
The engine did have two intermittent codes stored P1696 & P1625 which i think are minor and unrelated. i cleared them and will see in they come back.

So far have only used premium fuel (MON+RON= 91~94 in Canada), but who knows what the last owner used.

One other bit of info is that i put in a NanoTech Oil additive 4 months ago. It has lowered the engine Oil temperature to around 80 (from 90) which i feel is good but still a change in the operating conditions for the engine.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I wouldn't use any additives. Never used any. The vr6 can handle a lot of heat. I drive mine sometimes to 120. No problem. Next oil change get rid of the additives in my opinion.
In my case I will first replace the bushings and drive test. Then change to higher octane fuel SP98. Then go for the sensors if the marbles don't calm down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Update: I upgraded the intake manifold shifter rod bushings with the gruvenparts ones and noise is gone. I had a noise at 1500 rpm and when I went wide open throttle I had a rolling marbles noise around 4000 rpm and above.
Now I can enjoy a clean engine noise and the VR6 feels much healthier.
Here is the gruvenparts bushings for the VR6 24V:

Installing the bushings needs some pushing or even using a 19mm socket and a hammer.
If you have allreay installed and an upgraded intake variable shifter rod repair kit form VW the gruvenparts bushings will not work as the new shifter rod will be stuck. I found out after trying to fit the bushings with an upgraded shifter rod I removed from a used intake manifold I bought off ebay for testing. I had a hard time pushing the bushings in and ended up with a stuck, non-rotating shifter rod. I went back to my original shifter rod, installed the bushings with some grease. Bushings are tight and you have to rotate them a few times to make sure the shifter can rotate freely.
The rolling marbles noise made me suspect the knock sensors, the RON95 fuel, the timing chain but it ended up being the variable intake manifold shifter rod bushings. I did and Ravenol 5w30 VMP oil change, reprimed the timing chain tensioner and I'm now enjoying a smooth running VR6.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts