Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Pardon me Nick M(moderator) but this and many other of your posts are rather condescending. This will be my 3rd vehicle imported from the US second this year. how many have you actually imported? .
current count is 16

regarding the gas guzzler tax which does not apply to the v6 model; everywhere that I have read about it, it clearly states NEW vehicles. has anybody had to pay this on a used vehicle?.
Yes, most recent one was on a used '08 RRSS

Nick; I do realize that you are the moderator here and appreciate your help but I have read numerous posts where you are attacking a member, you should ask more questions first or deliver the info in a less attacking way.
Not my intention, maybe it comes accross that way because its written text instead of a real conversation. Aplogies if perception was that it was an attack. I appreciate the feedback though (seriously)

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks for clarifying Nick. Anyway all you have to do it email the VIN 72 hours ahead to us customs and you are good to go.
here is two pics of the truck.
does anybody have experience with a local (GTA) shop to sell and istall an aftermarket NAV system?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Turbodan, I was actually looking at the same vehicle you purchased from Kuhn, but we purchased ours from New Jersey VW dealer since it had remainder warranty + CPO warranty for USA and Canada, and no state tax off the lot. See photos...

Hope you're enjoying it and I am on the same page regards to updating stock radio to Nav unit, possibly Kenwood. How is everything else with the car, is it your first Treg?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
importing into canada

Nick-just a note to say that any vehicle you import into Canada has to pay most of those fees anyway. Right now the canadian dollar is high so exchange wouldn't be so expensive. The one fee that you have to pay is the 6.1 % duty. That is on vehicles that are manufactured outside the usa, I believe. The hst has to be paid even on any vehicle you buy in Canada. Is your VW warranty transferable to Canada? Larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
All sounds great and info very useful...I am driving my 2008 V6 Tuareg from Miami to BC and all the calculations ask for purchase price which was new in 2008 in Miami ..so ... How to calculate the value for all these taxes and duties?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Value is calculated on the amount you pay, not the original list price. They do verify, they expect evidence, and they are not dumb. Show them original listing, bill of sale, bank draft copy, evidence of electronic transfer...basically throw all the paperwork at them.They will look all of this up anyways, so save yourself the time and hassle and have it ready.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Finally narrowing my search to 2012 Lux Treg TDI.

With VW not honouring the warranty, do you advise to purchase extended warranty (in the US?) that is honoured in Canada? Alternatively, pocket the savings and keep it for a major issue.

It appears that I would be purchasing from a VW dealer in the US, so I am wondering if a) they offer an extended VW all-inclusive warranty and b) it makes any financial sense.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Finally narrowing my search to 2012 Lux Treg TDI.

With VW not honouring the warranty, do you advise to purchase extended warranty (in the US?) that is honoured in Canada? Alternatively, pocket the savings and keep it for a major issue.

It appears that I would be purchasing from a VW dealer in the US, so I am wondering if a) they offer an extended VW all-inclusive warranty and b) it makes any financial sense.
Nobody biting....so let me re-phrase:

How do you recommend to address the NO WARRANTY situation?
a) do not worry; just drive it across the border (or tow it across the border...) to a US VW dealership for all warranty repair issues
b) get an extended warranty that covers everything and is good in Canada and the US right away when purchasing the car in the US?
c) same as b) but get it in Canada.

·
Registered
316 Posts
what I'd really like to know is if your C and D exist.

Is it possible to get any ext. warranty the US that is honoured in canada?

And even perhaps more difficult a CDN ext warranty on a USA import. Is it possible. Someone has had to ask the questions before....

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
a). b) will never work since any aftermarket warranty only takes effect after the OEM warranty expires. bringing it into Canada does not expire the warranty (its still good in the US).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keep in mind Diesels are exempt from the "green levy"
I had to pay the Green Levy on my 08 V10. I argued for a week over it. In the end I just paid. Still not happy about paying it but I love the V-10!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am testing the waters considering this vehicle. As a long distance buyer do you have any additional recommendations on the types of questions to ask or details to be extra concerned about?

Link

What do people here think of the price (auto trader price is 48995, dealership website price is 47995 and upon inquiry they may offer as low as 46000 w/o CPO).
Don't need to VAGCOM anything, you can pick the display readout form you want, metric or obsolete through the MFD. Even the language of the display, English, German, French, Spanish, perhaps others.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would always run the VIN through a reporting service such as Carfax. Do not be surprised if the car is a VW buy back for some issue or another. This is where buying from a VW dealer pays off - they can lie to you, but only to a point.
Buyback is not a bad thing in itself; the dealer should be forthcoming in pulling the records and letting you see the details of the complaint(s). You decide if you would accept it at all, as is, or accept it as a CPO only etc. You are already stepping out of your warranty in Canada. Any warranty activity has to take place in the US. How much more risk are you willing to take on your 40k investment? How much incentive do you need? You decide.
A VW dealer will also save you some work in getting necessary documentation (i.e. recall confirmation) that you need in any case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
US OM warranties honoured in Canada?

Excuse the newb question, but I read in posts on this forum dating back to 2011 that US warranties OM from 2010 onward are not honoured in Canada. Has this changed at all in the past year or two?

I've imported quite a few vehicles from the US to Canada, but they were old - way beyond what a warranty would cover. I want a used TDI (2012 - 2013) and would like to import for a variety of reasons (more choice, no salt damage, better price), but if I am buying something that new...the warranty becomes an issue, and perhaps I would be better buying a used Canadian vehicle from a province that doesn't salt its roads in the Winter as Quebec does.
Thanks in advance to anyone responding.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If buying from a private party (like someone on Ebay), suggest they deliver vehicle to an authorized VW dealer for tech inspection/repair and handoff to transport company. Dealer can prepare for border crossing/inspection ie. recode for DRL, seatbelt thingie and the other Cdn stuff, and they can message VW USA that vehicle is going to CDA and recode your VIN for Cdn dealerships. If your car is exported without VIN transfer you may not get TSBs, warranty and dealer support (though experiences vary). I exported from USA without VW VIN transfer and have had to pony up for even routine TSBs that should have been covered by VW AG. None of the dealer nor VW AG, nor VW USA want to know me with fingers pointing all over. Thousands needlessly spent and lesson learned.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
since the early 90s VW of Canada and VW USA merged to form VWoAmericas. Around 2007 the VW distribution changed, where the VWofAmericas went back to VW Canada and VWoA. The OEM warranty is provided and paid for by VW America - so VWC won't pay for anything related to a US vehicle unless it belongs to a US resident and is registered in the US...the same applies the other way around.

VW germany doesn't sell people vehicles, they sell them to distributors - these distributors are the ones you are dealing with when it comes to warranty work and such

The current exchange rate is crap, so to be honest with you Touaregs are cheaper in Canada than in the US right now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am driving a '12 T3 TDI from the US which I bought last spring. A Canadian VW dealership will not honour the US warranty on a late model VW from the US, however, the VIN will remain valid for warranty work in the US.

I would say that the prime consideration needs to be how far you are from the nearest US dealership. For me it is 2 hours and I determined that it is worth it for me to have all the warranty inspections performed in the US. This worked fine; I play it by the book and even declare my "zero dollar" invoice at the border upon return to Canada.

The US VW dealer did not give me any grief regarding the Canadian license plates and the vehicle appears to be fine in their electronic system.

In case of a major breakdown under warranty, where the vehicle is no longer driveable, you may have more of an issue or cost, if you need a tow to the US dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nikas, Cattlerepairman and NickM - Thanks

Thanks to the three of you for your (blindingly quick) responses. Guess it shows how passionate Touareg owners are about their wheels!

So...if I understand right Nikas, after buying in the US I should take the vehicle to an authorized dealer for an inspection in order to get them to inform VWOA that the car is going to Canada, and to be "on the mailing list" for recall information, etc.

Cattleman, i am in Montreal. No VW dealer in Plattsburg NY. Think the closest dealer would be Burlington Vt - which is approx. 2 1/2 hrs away. I would be OK driving down for regular service, but repairs that took more than the day would be a pain.

NickM - thanks for the warranty info. Disappointing really in this era of free trade. Wonder if VW gets away with this in the European Economic Union. Even with a $0.90 dollar, my spreadsheet still shows that it would be worthwhile shopping south of the border. A low mileage 2012 or 2013 can be had for around $42K USD (Ebay - with cheaper ones listed on Car Guru) - or just north of $57K CAD landed with duty, GST and PST paid. If I buy used from a dealer her in Quebec, I still have sales tax to pay, and haven't seen much similarly optioned on Auto Trader.ca that compares pricewise.

However, I just spent a couple of hours yesterday reading the 65 pages of Posts on Steering Wheel Shake, and have to admit that I am getting a little gun shy. At least if I buy local I can drive the car prior to closing, and will have the benefit of dealer support and a warranty.

Any thoughts on this steering shake thing?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
There are more available vehicles in the US...so the decision is always with the buyer. I would never do this to save $2 grand, the hassle isn't worth it...if you're saving 15% then its worth it - for me anyways.

On the warranty, its not a VW only thing. Toyota does the same thing, as does BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus and others. Its a mechanism that was brought into play to protect the dealer networks in Canada when the CAD dollar was worth $1.15 USD not that long ago.

Be glad its a VW, BMW and Mercedes force you to pay $5000 in modifications to bring their vehicles to CDN standard...remember the automaker tells RIV what modifications need to be done and where the need to be done. For VW - they say all vehicles are importable with no need for modifications.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
19 Participants
NIKAS
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing