Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hopefully he won't have any trouble driving it into Canada with my tags.
I've driven through the border with NY state and Mass plates before (lent to me by their owner, much like you've done with tref)...nobody cared. All the border patrols care about is making sure that the vehicle leaves the US legally, and on the Canadian side, that they collect all the duties/fees and taxes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've driven through the border with NY state and Mass plates before (lent to me by their owner, much like you've done with tref)...nobody cared. All the border patrols care about is making sure that the vehicle leaves the US legally, and on the Canadian side, that they collect all the duties/fees and taxes.
That's good to hear, he's had enough fun already, he doesn't need any more surprises.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks to Mark I was able to drive the car back to Canada, he was kind enough to let me use his license plate from Florida to Ottawa. US and Canadian custom do not care how the car gets to the border but if you drive it it must be licensed in some ways. I see 4 possibility:
- don't drive it, have shipped, I did not like that, could be cheaper if you factor in gas, time, hotel, grumpy wife, Martin Luther King extra day, ....
- have the owner let you use the existing plate, thie is best but not easy with a dealer.
- get a temporary license from the state it is last registered in, seems like some state don't let you do this, in Florida I would have had to pay their 6% tax before I could get a temp license plate.
- get a temporary license from your province, I'm not sure if that is possible but it can be looked into
- number5 which I don't recommend is to just drive it and take a chance. Wow did I just say that ;)

Anyhow, I crossed the border this morning, US side took 10 mins, CAN side took 20mins. I paid less than I expected but I did not review the paperwork.
Not I need to do the RIV thing and get the Quebec safety and pay the PST and whatever else. Hours of fun and entertainment!

F.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I edited the instructions at the top to include the "green Levy" (aka gas guzzler tax) which applies to vehicles put into service after March 19 2007.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Drove the 08 V6 Touareg to Canada, US customs car export office stamped my original Title Certificate and matched it with VIN on the car, less than 5 minutes. (You must fax them title and VIN number 72 hours prior to your arrival.)

Then off to Canadian customs, told the border guard that I am bringing the purchased US car for personal use and he directed me to the building. There I filled Part 1 form, he asked for the sales receipt, asked if that car was for me not for resale, if it has AC, how many doors, and color of vehicle, no gas tax for V6, then completed and stamped the form, and I paid taxes (less than expected) and received RIV info form directing me to pay RIV fee online. (20 minutes).

Registered and paid RIV at home online and instantly received Part 2 form online (5 minutes).

Provincial Safety test was done, and next is the Emissions and RIV test at Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does driving around with a speedometer in MPH bother anyone? I know you can vagcom the digital gauges and get a Km/h digital read out- but is anyone who imported a USA vehicle a little disappointed by that little detail or am I too OCD?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am testing the waters considering this vehicle. As a long distance buyer do you have any additional recommendations on the types of questions to ask or details to be extra concerned about?

Link

What do people here think of the price (auto trader price is 48995, dealership website price is 47995 and upon inquiry they may offer as low as 46000 w/o CPO).

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
You are not alone, it bugs me too, a lot.
Can you vagcom 04's ?
On longer trip I use my Garmin for a speed readout.
Cheers.
Does driving around with a speedometer in MPH bother anyone? I know you can vagcom the digital gauges and get a Km/h digital read out- but is anyone who imported a USA vehicle a little disappointed by that little detail or am I too OCD?

·
Registered
29 Posts
vwDavid, you get used to it as the digital display shows Kms in speedometer, tripmeter, etc. as well Celsius for temp. Also keep in mind if you purchase the US based 2010 Treg you mentioned here, the warranty will not be valid in Canada, you will have to drive back to any US VW dealer for warranty service. Only 2008 and older VW's warranty is valid on both side of the border.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, I understand the 2010 warranty is defunct in canada. The dealer is willing to sell w/o CPO which may be a cost benefit.

Does the 2010 TDI tregs have factor prescribed service intervals covered by warranty for the first xx miles?

Lastly, are there specific instruction for the vagcom trickery that needs to be done to turn on DRLs (if off) and change odo to km/h etc or is it straight forward and verbose in vagcom?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Price is a bit expensive considering you can likely get a brand new highline or execline for the same amount at your local dealer, but if you want/need air suspension and you like the overall package then its fine. I personally like it quite a bit...

The newere Tregs have long coding and the VCDS software for the most part guides you..ross tech also has a wiki site which can help on specific procedures.

·
Registered
316 Posts
thanks for your thoughts on price nickm. Yes, I was shopping for air susp. Although I think you'd be hard pressed to get a 2011 TDI for under $55K CAD.

Did you get your V6 TDI in canada or the USA? At that point you already had had a V10 with air- was going back to non-air a big compromise in your mind? Do you prefer the memory seats better (assuming you bought it in Canada)?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I bought my V6 TDI in Canada (got a great deal from my local dealer). memory seats are a must have item for me, I also like the power fold mirrors that the US models don't get. I also like the next to impossible to find color combo I found this one in.

I had the V10 with air at the same time as the V6 TDI..air was great although steel is very very good. As neat as it was to have, I have to admit that I have yet to run into a situation where I miss not having air suspension. I find the sport suspension offered in Canada for the '09-10 MY is really good...handles very well but still is an extremely comfortable ride. If I could get air I would absolutely, but then again I wouldn't pass up a great vehicle just because it was on steel springs. Again this is specific to my driving and my situation so get what's right for your use conditions ie: if you offroad or tow then get it, I don't do either with my Treg so no need for me.

I haven't towed with it which is likely when I'd miss A/S, but I have a dedicated tow vehicle so my Touareg doesn't see towing duty..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks Nick,

I am really on the fence with air- for a couple reasons. But because I know if I do want air I have to shop in the USA I have been looking at US vehicles. Hence the reason this is in this thread. If its the wrong place let me know.

The reasons I am looking at 2010 is of course air and low range/locking center diff. I've had a number of mid-level VW cars and want my next, which would likely be a treg to bet decked out. I'm tired of not having all the neat technogeek features.

Other real reasons I want air, but probably don't really NEED it:
-the odd snowy winter ski trip, added clearance is just further insurance against getting stuck, and with a young family I'm not as keen about being stuck in the snow as I used to.
-also center locking diff is an added margin of not getting stuck.
-I also want to test the trails once in while and do a tiny bit of offroading here and there. These too features would just make life easier and increase the margins for error in my opinion
-lastly, I do tow, but not at capacity. Small boat and utility trailer. I would like to rent a travel trailer now and again.

I'm sure all these things could be done with no air, but I'd really like to go whole-hog this time. I would like my analog speedo in km/h though. Memory seats and power mirrors are a nice feature too. Its hard to decide.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am importing a 2008 v6 Touareg this week coming on transport from vw dealer in Florida (Kuhn vw and honda). Although the v6 is exempt from gas guzzler tax I am pretty sure the gas guzzler tax is only for brand new cars.
I plan to meet the truck on US side of lewiston border go through us get title stamped go to can side get form 1 then go with my wifes car and her to ontario license office get temp permit and then go back and get truck. a bit of a pita. Florida dealers won't get temp permit unless you pay state tax. anyone know how long the ontario temp permit lasts?
looking to add ipod integration considering GROM integration.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Incorrect, the gas guzzler tax applies to all imported vehicles (new OR used).

You can't get an ontario temp permit anymore without all your registration & import docs stamped (ie: it has to legally be in the country), so you better figure out something else for temp plates.

The us border needs to have the title for at least 3 business days so you better have a plan B. all they will do is take your title and tell you to show up in 4 days, that you can't export the vehicle, and that you need to find a place to store it.

Not picking on you but this is a great example of how to be ill prepared for importing a vehicle. Basically you'll be looking for a place to store your vehicle because you don't have temp plates, and since the US border won't stamp your title clear for export unless they have had it for at least 3 full business days...and you can't leave it at the border (they will dispose of the vehicle if you attempt to leave it there. When I say dispose I mean crush it...no kidding)...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pardon me Nick M(moderator) but this and many other of your posts are rather condescending. This will be my 3rd vehicle imported from the US second this year. how many have you actually imported?
I have already sent an email to Buffalo Vinny office which has accepted my vin and told me that I can bring the car in this week (after the 72 hours) on wednesday as planned. where did I say that I was just gonna show up? all you need to do is email them your vin, no bill of sale nor title needs to be sent ahead. (email address is [email protected])
so I won't be looking to store my Touareg.
regarding the gas guzzler tax which does not apply to the v6 model; everywhere that I have read about it, it clearly states NEW vehicles. has anybody had to pay this on a used vehicle?
regarding the temp permit; with the form 1 and Florida title stamped will they sell me a temporary permit? this may pose a problem for me but I think I have a solution anyways.
Nick; I do realize that you are the moderator here and appreciate your help but I have read numerous posts where you are attacking a member, you should ask more questions first or deliver the info in a less attacking way.
I look forward to using this forum for my new truck and will post pics when I get home with it.
I am curious if it will have the DRL enabled and how easy it will be to display kms.

·
Registered
46 Posts
got the Touareg home last week on Thursday and licensed it on Tuesday. I will post some pics in the next few days. The DRLs were already active and the digital display shows km on the dash. is there a way to change the guage to kms? I am enjoying the new truck but am considering adding an aftermarket integrated NAV ipod unit. anybody done this?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts