Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since we see this thread pop up quite often, I've decided to post this sticky based on my recent experience with importing a V10. This thread assumes you've located your vehicle and are ready to buy, it just deals with the import process and not negotiating/financing/etc.

Before you start all this, if you are intending on driving the Touareg then make sure you've taken care of temporary transit permits. Since this varies by state and province, I won't include it here:

Step 1: All US model Touaregs are eligible for import into Canada. For further details go to Registrar of Imported Vehicles No modifications are required to the vehicles. You MUST obtain a recall clearance letter. You can get this from a dealer or call VW directly.

Step 2: You must get the original US title and original bill of sale to US customs at least 72 hours prior to importing. Your title must be clear (no liens). IF there is a lien this must clear and original lien release documentation must be sent from the lien holder to the border. They will NOT release your documentation until this lien is cleared. To locate a border crossing go here: U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Contacts

Step 3: You must present the vehicle to the US border crossing that has your bill of sale and title. They will verify the VIN, verify your paperwork and if it all checks out they will stamp it cleared for export. IMPORTANT: they do not provide for any vehicle storage, so if your paperwork hasn't been there 72 hours or if you have other issues (ie: lien) you must find private storage elsewhere.

Step 4: drive the vehicle from the US border crossing with stamped title and bill of sale to the Canadian border. Let the border guard know you're importing the vehicle you're driving (or towing, or whatever). They will direct you inside.

Step 5: You need the original bill of sale, original clear title with US "cleared for export"stamp, your drivers licence & passport. The guard will charge you the following:

-6.1% duty on the purchase price converted into Canadian dollars -they use the exchange rate in effect at the time of import
-GST/HST on top of the purchase price AND the duty charged (you are taxed on duty as you are if you buy the vehicle new in Canada)
-$204.75 CDN for RIV (for current rates go to Registrar of Imported Vehicles)
-$100.00 CDN for A/C tax
-You will have to pay additional excise taxes (Green Levy) only if your vehicle has a weighted average fuel consumption rating of 13 or more litres per 100 kilometres and is put into service after March 19, 2007. The green levy fees are as follows:
  • At least 13, but less than 14 litres per 100 km: $1,000
  • At least 14, but less than 15 litres per 100 km: $2,000
  • At least 15, but less than 16 litres per 100 km: $3,000
  • 16 or more litres per 100 km: $4,000
  • According to this list http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whtsnw/tms/lst_vh-eng.pdf the Touareg V8 is subject to a $2000 fee, The V6 is not subject to a fee, and the V10 is not listed (I would suspect no fee)
They will hand you a RIV form. BE SURE TO GIVE THEM A CORRECT EMAIL ADDRESS, this works out in your favour later.

Step 6: You will get an inspection form sent to you by email within a day or two (this is why you need a valid email address), if not -they mail you this form (can take up to 3 weeks). Take this form and your Touareg to Canadian Tire. They will inspect the vehicle to ensure it complies to the standards required on the form RIV emails (or sends) you. You must get an emmisions test (varies by province) and a safety test (again, varies by province). In ontario these cost me approx $100.00

Step 7: take your mountain of paperwork (which now includes your RIV forms stamped by Canadian Tire, original title, original bill of sale, and receipt from Canadian customs) to your provincial licence bureau. You will be charged as follows:
-Registration fee (varies by province)
-PST (varies by province). PST is charged on sale price converted to CDN dollars + duty paid.

Step 8: RIV sends you a sticker to place inside the doorframe on your Touareg. Its now a Canadian vehicle.

Items for consideration...before you get yourself incredibly excited and decide US pricing is so much better, do the following math:

1. Take Vehicle price (in this example 25,000)
2. Convert to CAD (in this example exch rate is 7% so you're at 25,000 x 1.07 = $26750)
3. Add 6.1% duty (eg $26.750 x 1.061 = $28,381)
4. Add GST/HST (in this example PST is 8% so 28,381 x 1.13 = $32,071)
5. Add RIV fee $204.75, add A/C tax $100 and e-test/safety (varies, but for this eg its $100 ) is: 32,071+204.75+100+100 = $32,476

So this is how a $25K USD vehicle becomes a $32.5K CAD vehicle after its imported. Do your financial homework and be well funded...

·
Registered
26 Posts
For anyone looking at importing a Touareg, remember that VW will not honour the warranty on 2009 and 2010 models. Anything 2008 and earlier is fine.

Also, I think your calculation is a little bit off. PST is not charged on the CAD price plus duty; it's calculated based on the CAD price before duty. Doesn't make much difference but brings the final price down a bit.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my case they charged PST on top of Duty. Price of the vehicle as far as MTO is concerned is purchase price in CAD + Duty paid.

When you buy a vehicle as a Canadian vehicle VW Canada has already paid the duty and included it in the price of the vehicle, so you are paying taxes on duty when buying new as well.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll put a call into MTO on monday and see what they say. I've seen that calculator but its just an unofficial calculator thingy, so while handy its not "the source" of info in any way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just noticed that the calculator also shows no GST on the duty, which is definitely incorrect. As ridiculous as it sounds, the feds charge tax on top of duty...

However, I did do a ton of research on this a few years ago, and I'm pretty certain that PST is calculated based on the selling price before duty. Wish I had some better links to help you with MTO.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking through the MTO site and couldn't find it either...when I went to the licence bureau I did argue my point but the rep and the manager both assured me that PST is charged on cost + duty (they take the CAD rate shown on the customs form, as you pay GST at the border, and PST at MTO)....

GST is definitely charged on duty, I have the customs form in front of me where they convert selling price to CAD, add duty, then charge GST...that's the way I've done it in the calculations above as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fees

Hi guys. I'm new here since I am trying to import a 2008 touareg VR6 for my wife from Mass to QC. I read at a few places that this vehicle might be subject to the high emissions excise tax? Is this true, and if so, how much does it cost?

Another concern I have is I will be picking it up myself and driving it home from Boston Mass, crossing the Lacole border in VT and driving up to Montreal. Is it true I need a temporary permit for every state I cross from the DMV?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the info you need is in the first post...See the steps above re: what you have to pay. There is nothing more to pay other than what is stated in the first post. i don't see how the info can be any clearer.

You do need some sort of vehicle permit when travelling... If you are buying it in Mass, a mass temp permit is fine. Keep in mind some states will not issue a temp permit to you unless you have a local license. You may want the seller to do this bit of work for you.

Also re-read the timelines, you can't just drive it back across the border without a 72 hour period that US border patrol needs the clear title. If the title is not clear, then you will wait longer until you can produce a clear title. Photocopies and faxes of titles are not accepted, you need the physical original copy, and the vehicle CANNOT leave the US until they stamp it as "cleared for export". Try and drive it across without this "cleared for export" stamp and you've just donated your Touareg to the Canadian Government (who seize it and hand it back to the US border patrol for auction/disposal).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm just in the process of going across, just arrived at Ogdensburg, they have my title, they are closed on weekend I knew that, planned to stay at nearby motel and pass 1st thing at 8am when they open tomorrow. NOT, they have president day tomorrow, its a long weekend, so I'm stuck here 1 extra day. There are so many thing that can go wrong on this it's not funny.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might be stuck a few more days..the 72 hours is business days only, so if you just dropped it off on friday they won't release it until thursday at earliest. I brought mine in through Ogdensburg and they were very strict on this policy!

Hope this isn't the case for you..

·
Registered
15 Posts
They received the title on Tuesday last week so I'm ok for that, I did my homework, everything went good from pickup in Florida to Ogdensburg. I did know about the working days 72 hours but that federal holiday is the curve ball.
The only other glitch was the missing wheel lock key, I realized when arrived at the tire shop in Virginia. Luckily I manage to get to a VW dealer and got those off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They received the title on Tuesday last week so I'm ok for that, I did my homework, everything went good from pickup in Florida to Ogdensburg. I did know about the working days 72 hours but that federal holiday is the curve ball.
The only other glitch was the missing wheel lock key, I realized when arrived at the tire shop in Virginia. Luckily I manage to get to a VW dealer and got those off.

Hey Tref, did you get a temporary permit from the state your purchassed the vehicle? Also is there an issue with the lock safe bolts or the dealer just forgot to give you it?

Apparently Massachussets does not offer temp permits anymore... The dealer tells me I have to get a temporary plate issued by my local DMV, which in QC is the SAAQ. Not quite sure if this is accurate, will call back tomorrow since gvt offices are closed over week-end...

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You need to contact the agencies listed in the first post. RIV.ca is the LAW as far as importing a vehicle into canada is concerned. Call them with any specific questions and they will answer accurately.

Again the first post states "Before you start all this, if you are intending on driving the Touareg then make sure you've taken care of temporary transit permits. Since this varies by state and province, I won't include it here:

So contact the appropriate agency as described.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need to contact the agencies listed in the first post. RIV.ca is the LAW as far as importing a vehicle into canada is concerned. Call them with any specific questions and they will answer accurately.

Again the first post states "Before you start all this, if you are intending on driving the Touareg then make sure you've taken care of temporary transit permits. Since this varies by state and province, I won't include it here:

So contact the appropriate agency as described.

RIV had no idea... this is why I ask. They refered me to the SAAQ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE:

SAAQ does not offer temporary plates for vehicles that are not registered with them yet...back to step 1...

Does anyone have a goods answer for this issue?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RIV was for your question re: emmisions tax

You need to speak to the province/state licence bureau or DMV to figure out what the law is for issuing temporary permits. So get on the phone with Mass DMV and figure it out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
RIV was for your question re: emmisions tax

You need to speak to the province/state licence bureau or DMV to figure out what the law is for issuing temporary permits. So get on the phone with Mass DMV and figure it out?
The RIV could not answer the Emission tax. It was the Canadian Customs who were able to tell the the V6 does not have a high emission Excise tax, only the V10....

As for the Mass DMV, I spoke to them, they DO NOT offer temporary plates, not to US citizens, not tot Canadian citizens. On the Canadian side the SAAQ does not ofer temporary plates if a car is not registered with them and in order to register it with them you need the importation papers; which are only provided to you at the Canadian Customs upon prrof of vehicle...

Thus, note to all Canadian importers, the guide provided initially is lacking crutial information if you are thinking of buying your can in the state on Massachusets: you will need to have the vehicle transported to Canada, meaning an extra 1000$ (aprox) to your purchase price!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey Tref, did you get a temporary permit from the state your purchassed the vehicle? Also is there an issue with the lock safe bolts or the dealer just forgot to give you it?

Apparently Massachussets does not offer temp permits anymore... The dealer tells me I have to get a temporary plate issued by my local DMV, which in QC is the SAAQ. Not quite sure if this is accurate, will call back tomorrow since gvt offices are closed over week-end...
Tref bought the car from me (not a dealer). We tried to get a Florida temporary registration but they wanted to charge him 6% Florida tax. We decided to leave my current FL tags on the truck so he could drive it home. He'll send me the tag and registration once he gets home and completes the Canadian paperwork so I can reuse it on the next vehicle I buy (saves me $200). In the US, with the bill of sale he can typically drive it on my registration for up to 30 days while he re-titles and re-registers the vehicle. Hopefully he won't have any trouble driving it into Canada with my tags.

I forgot about MLK day being a legal holiday in the US, that sucks!

As for the wheel lock, I never took the wheels off in the time I had the truck so I never looked to see if I had the key. When the dealer did the 10K service they used their master key to rotate the tires. Obviously I never received the key from the dealer who sold me the truck. I honestly never thought to look and I'm glad he was able to get to a dealer and get them swapped out.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
e...

Thus, note to all Canadian importers, the guide provided initially is lacking crutial information if you are thinking of buying your can in the state on Massachusets: you will need to have the vehicle transported to Canada, meaning an extra 1000$ (aprox) to your purchase price!
The guide in the first post says deal with the registration tags on your own, this means run dealer plates, tow it, run your own plates, or figure something else out. If paying $1000 for shipping works for you, that's great...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts