Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,985 Posts
Welcome Steven

Just looking at your profile pic. Were you at Laverton in early to mid '80's?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yep, sorry, you missed something.

I have a 2011 7P 4xMOTION. Locking diffs, dual range etc.

I wasn't looking for it though, just wanted the air suspension, and it's what I found.
Think I realise my confusion now. The 7L was "real" constant "mechanical" 4WD vs the 7P which "electronically" controlled 4WD done via a computer vs mechanical like the 7L ...... This is regardless of lockers.

Lockers are nothing to do with 4WD as a system its just that VW decided to have the 7P 4xmotion with the lockers as they could see that someone who was wanting to "USE" a 4WD would most probably take advantage of the extra ability of lockers.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
916 Posts
Think I realise my confusion now. The 7L was "real" constant "mechanical" 4WD vs the 7P which "electronically" controlled 4WD done via a computer vs mechanical like the 7L ...... This is regardless of lockers.

Lockers are nothing to do with 4WD as a system its just that VW decided to have the 7P 4xmotion with the lockers as they could see that someone who was wanting to "USE" a 4WD would most probably take advantage of the extra ability of lockers.
7P is still constant mechanical Torsen system - it's not an electronic Haldex-type with friction clutches.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
(y)(y)

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
and sold just as quickly...

Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
11 Posts
The identifying features between 4Motion and 4XMotion rotary dials located in the centre console are as follows:
  • 4Motion - no air suspension. Single rotary dial with ON ROAD / OFF ROAD selection.
  • 4Motion - with air suspension. Two dials, one side ON ROAD / OFF ROAD selection and the other is the air suspension selector.
  • 4XMotion - All with air suspension. Two dials, one side marked ON ROAD / OFF ROAD / LOW / and two images for positions of diff locks - Standard air suspension selector dial.
The 4XMotion was fitted with diff locks and low range, if someone is flogging off a 4XMotion than look for that dial. Easy to ask what the actual markings on the dial state if looking away from the vehicle.
This is by far the best description i've found so far & mighty useful too.
  • 4XMotion - All with air suspension. Two dials, one side marked ON ROAD / OFF ROAD / LOW / and two images for positions of diff locks - Standard air suspension selector dial.
That is the 4 x motion i've fallen for , would be an awesome upgrade to the baby brother 09' Tiguan i have, now to try and find this Unicorn of a car

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys, picked up a Touareg 2010 V6 TDI Air Suspention ( in the US) a few weeks ago and love it. I was purposely looking for one with Air and a rear lock also but settled for one with center lock only. From what I understand even these were only 10% of the Touaregs and very hard to find. I feel fortunate to have it. The question comes up again 4Motion or 4XMotion, the build sheet on mine says 4XMotion. Also anybody know, did any USA V6 TDI come with a rear lock? I know some early V8 and V10 TDI did.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Your 2010 T2 will have 4XMotion (locking centre with high/low). 2011+ only have 4Motion in NAR.

Reactions: Zsyncro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question -
Treg with 4Motion - with air suspension. Two dials, one side ON ROAD / OFF ROAD selection and the other is the air suspension selector.
(of course 4xmotion is more capable but, just exploring options)
how capable would this be for the following purposes : upto moderate difficulty terrain, mud , beach driving?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
916 Posts
Question -
Treg with 4Motion - with air suspension. Two dials, one side ON ROAD / OFF ROAD selection and the other is the air suspension selector.
(of course 4xmotion is more capable but, just exploring options)
how capable would this be for the following purposes : upto moderate difficulty terrain, mud , beach driving?
I suggest that the tyres will be the limitation in those conditions.

·
Registered
672 Posts
right ... i notice the 2014- 2015 models come with 275/ 45 R20's - a higher profile like 55 or 65 would compensate you reckon?
Tread design/depth will be the biggest factor, not necessarily side profile.

Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just spotted this one. It's listed as a Touareg but DOESN'T state that it's a 4XMOTION. If you look at the photos of the console selector it clearly has centre and rear diff locker so is a proper 4XMOTION. A fair price with 200kms on it.

If you're in the market, worth an enquiry.

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
244 Posts
right ... i notice the 2014- 2015 models come with 275/ 45 R20's - a higher profile like 55 or 65 would compensate you reckon?
I run 275/45R20 on my 4motion and I've taken it on the beach and off road. It does very well. I'm using nitto terra grappler all terrain tyres on mine too and pressure down to around 28psi on the beach. Only time i've gotten bogged was towing my jet ski trailer in really soft stuff but I have little cheese cutter tyres on the trailer and I didn't air them down at all. The 4motions are very capable rigs. The traction control in them works pretty good off road.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts