Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Looking to buy at 2012 7P Touareg V6 TDI. Some are 4xmotion and some are 4motion. How can you tell the difference when looking inside the car? Or outside? Is there a badge? Is 4xmtion that much better? Dont plan on hard core driving but we would occasionally do some beach work couple times per year. I also tow a 2.5T caravan - not on the beach though...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Wayno, yes there has been much chatter about this so it is important if you want a 4XMOTION car, that you be sure before you commit to buy that the car is indeed a bona fide 4XMOTION.

On the inside there is a clear indicator - it is the console mounted diff lock/transfer case range selector. It will look like this in the image. Clearly showing Centre AND Rear Diff lock settings.

There may be other visual clues additional to this others can advise I am sure. Probably also noted in the build code sticker inside the cover of the service booklet too - though I don't know what specific build code implies 4XMOTION.

Be sure to get any seller purporting to be selling a 4XMOTION car to actually send you a photo of this in their car. Many people genuinely think they're selling a 4XMOTION but in reality only a 4MOTION. With the online carsales site sometimes you can zoom in on the photos but often this detail is missed.

Pete.

Attachments

Reactions: HappyCamper

·
Registered
229 Posts
For beach driving, I don't think the 4X motion is needed. I believe the 4 motion is still a pretty capable beast.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Huh .... am i missing something .... I though 4xmotion died with the 2010 7L and that the 7P only had 4motion

Please dont tell me i missed something

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
For beach driving, I don't think the 4X motion is needed. I believe the 4 motion is still a pretty capable beast.
Yeah if you know how to drive ...... I've done Fraser Island in a broken FJ73 in 2x wheel drive 20 years ago............. Definately no biggy

·
Registered
317 Posts
Huh .... am i missing something .... I though 4xmotion died with the 2010 7L and that the 7P only had 4motion

Please dont tell me i missed something
Yes, sorry to say it, but you've missed this one Odessa. The photo in my post above is from my ex-2014 TDi V6 7P. It was a great car and I searched fairly widely for it. From Port Hedland where I was at the time, I located this one in Melbourne at that time. My wife was heading over for a non-related flight to Melbourne coincidentally (2016 I think it was) and she did an on the spot drive and check over. She confirmed the 4XMOTION for me so I was sure of its unicorn status. It was a very limited sale option (around $7k at the time I was told) and it was discontinued from 2015.

Regards

Pete.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Wayno, yes there has been much chatter about this so it is important if you want a 4XMOTION car, that you be sure before you commit to buy that the car is indeed a bona fide 4XMOTION.

On the inside there is a clear indicator - it is the console mounted diff lock/transfer case range selector. It will look like this in the image. Clearly showing Centre AND Rear Diff lock settings.

There may be other visual clues additional to this others can advise I am sure. Probably also noted in the build code sticker inside the cover of the service booklet too - though I don't know what specific build code implies 4XMOTION.

Be sure to get any seller purporting to be selling a 4XMOTION car to actually send you a photo of this in their car. Many people genuinely think they're selling a 4XMOTION but in reality only a 4MOTION. With the online carsales site sometimes you can zoom in on the photos but often this detail is missed.

Pete.
thanks for the info, very helpful

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
bloody hell !!!!! It was touted to me that after 7L there was no more "real' 4x mo... and only 4motion

low range and everything else is great but ..................... what about normal high on road 4x4 which is what 4xmotions is withouut computers

·
Registered
25 Posts
MIne has the 5 diff options but not the air suspension on 2011 7p. Would have loved to find one with air suspension but I wouldn't have purchased my treg without the 4XMotion. Tregs with only On-road / Off road as diff options are 4Motion only

·
Registered
868 Posts
In the 2012 it was possible to tell from the outside by looking at the exhaust ends, triangular in the 4Motion and round in the 4XMotion. Also the front and rear lower bumpers were body coloured in the 4Motion with grey and silver coloured bumper trim and lower doors in the 4XMotion, also loading still and window frames were black not chrome for 4XMotion. This changed around the 2013 to 2014 year model.

Reactions: evaddirb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks
In the 2012 it was possible to tell from the outside by looking at the exhaust ends, triangular in the 4Motion and round in the 4XMotion. Also the front and rear lower bumpers were body coloured in the 4Motion with grey and silver coloured bumper trim and lower doors in the 4XMotion, also loading still and window frames were black not chrome for 4XMotion. This changed around the 2013 to 2014 year model.
,thanks. What about 2011 differences?

·
Registered
868 Posts
All earlier models of the 7P had what was called the "off road styling package", this was the 4XMotion version. Effective from 2011 to 2014.
See attached pdf broucher.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Best way , if you have access to, is to go by vehicle data in the service schedule booklet of the car.
This will have the codes as to what specs and other add-ons from factory the car has period

·
Registered
674 Posts
The very best way is to get the dealer to print off the build sheets (also called data sheets) for the car - several pages of detail that every owner should get and keep for future use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Pete.
Do 4xmotion have 2 dials across 2011-2013 models? Some have 1 dial and some 2. On carsales 4xmotions have both. Maybe people are not understanding what they have?..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts