Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I almost bought an SD card from ebay before I found out that you can't install a EU firmware on a US firmware. My car is imported from US, I now use it in EU and I kinda need the navigation.
Is there a way I can convert the firmware from US to EU by myself or do I need to go to the dealer and is it just a matter of working with software or the whole module needs to be physically replaced to a EU one?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
EU versions are easy to find. US versions are rare.

The best way out might be to buy a used EU version and sell the US version. There is a chance that the US version will sell for more, so you might net a slight profit.

I am not a 850 guy, but there are some here. Let them verify this. If I remember correctly, we never had any luck cross flashing. They really wanted it to work, but there was a difference on the physical motherboard that prevented cross flashing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EU versions are easy to find. US versions are rare.

The best way out might be to buy a used EU version and sell the US version. There is a chance that the US version will sell for more, so you might net a slight profit.

I am not a 850 guy, but there are some here. Let them verify this. If I remember correctly, we never had any luck cross flashing. They really wanted it to work, but there was a difference on the physical motherboard that prevented cross flashing.
Is it possible to just install EU maps from sd card and leave the firmware as it is?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol I just contacted my local VW center and they replied with:
"Updating the navigation costs from 450eur, but since your car is from US the whole module would need to be replaced which starts from 3000eur."

Jesus Christ are they making fun of me?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
No. The price of a new unit is that bad.

I am still 99.7% sure that there is a hardware difference and that the firmware change from US to EU or EU to US is not possible in these units.

It never made sense that VW would do this, but it never made sense nobody could cross flash the 850. The earlier units were easy to cross flash.

So, the dealer is offering to sell you an entire new unit.

You could look into putting one of the factory fit android units into the vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. The price of a new unit is that bad.

I am still 99.7% sure that there is a hardware difference and that the firmware change from US to EU or EU to US is not possible in these units.

It never made sense that VW would do this, but it never made sense nobody could cross flash the 850. The earlier units were easy to cross flash.

So, the dealer is offering to sell you an entire new unit.

You could look into putting one of the factory fit android units into the vehicle.
To be exact, which unit would need to be replaced?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
2 Participants
Lazarusz
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing