Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi were do i find the pollen filter in the cabin ? and how often do i need to clean/change ? does it interfere in air conditioner working properly?

·
Registered
243 Posts
NB: size of small bolts 5.5mm

You will need a 5.5 mm socket. I didn't have one...so extra trip.

Why they can't use a common 5mm or 6mm is beyond me.

Some perverted engineer is laughing every time a diy'er opens the cover and finds the 5.5mm size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just did mine over the weekend and I believe 7/32 is the socket that I used. If not 7/32, it is definitely the next socket. I will confirm when I get home tonight. The SAE socket worked fine and it is a breeze to change.

Do not go out and buy a 5.5 mm just for this if you have an SAE socket set.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have looked at many of the posts about changing the cabin filter and after the "5 minute" job, I have to update everyone on the issues associated with this "do it yourself". Its a very easy job, but you have to have joints on your forearm. Here is the real way to change the filter.

1. Check other posts for the filter number...its a Bosch filter. I bought it from AutoZone and I had to order it...another long story.
Installation:
2. Take out your floormat on the passenger side.
3. Put the seat all the way back (towards the backseat or for very tall people)
4. Pull down on the black underdash cover which is under the glovebox. Do this by placing your finger in the large hole and carefully pull down. The footwell light will be towards the engine or firewall. The tabs (3 count) are located right under the glovebox door, so give it a pretty good tug and apply pressue across the plastic cover. Don't pull all the way down to the floor since this will break off the rear (towards firewall) tabs (2 count).
5. Remove footwell lamp by pressing on side tabs on black plug and pull carefully.
6. With your 5.5 mm socket (or whatever will fit) remove the screws from the cover which is located on the diagonal. The filter door is being removed with the two screws. *You know its the correct filter door since its the only one there and its very difficult to remove since the bottom of the glovebox surround is right in the way. You will find that the same surround is in the way when removing and installing the filter.
7. Once the filter door is removed, remove filter...grab some of the fibers and pull or use a pliers to grab...its hard to grasp.
8. When removing the filter, note that the filter has to be twisted due to the glovebox surrond and the firewall footwell. Be careful and note how the filter is moved/removed.
9. Now, the difficult part to explain...how does the new one go in? Many posts on this! Well, its very difficult. Look at the filter box near the firewall. See the extension of the box which looks like a tab would slide in...yup, that's right, that is where the tab on the filter slides to make it idiot-proof! Forget the arrows, just slid the tab in the groove!
10. There is a foam filter door gasket which I tore off since it got in the way when I tried to install the filter. I just slid it back in the grove once I put the filter back in the filter box.
11. That's it! You're finished! Just replace the filter box cover and replace the plug for the footwell lamp. Slide the tabs for the cover in the tab rings and press the locking tabs in place under the glovebox surround. Enjoy the new, fresh air!
12. Oh, also enjoy the aches and pains the next day after twisting and standing on your head installing the filter. I would suggest Tylenol! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nicely said! Thanks "Rwilk5 "

·
Registered
694 Posts
Great write up Rwilk5 I was planning on doing mine soon but was skeptical of the install but now that I have a good description on how to do it I feel alot more confident

·
Registered
266 Posts
Since we are on the subject, anyone buy the cabin filter from Tregcentral ? is this the original OEM filter for the treg?
Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Anyone?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ended up getting the Bosch version $22 from AutoZone!USA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, Tahoe and Rwilk5. Your instructions are so helpful, especially the comment on sliding the filter edge into the groove! It truely made the install idiot proof.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi were do i find the pollen filter in the cabin ? and how often do i need to clean/change ? does it interfere in air conditioner working properly?
Hello! I have made a video on how to replace a cabin/pollen filter in 2013 Touareg, but they are pretty much the same since 2006 model.
you are welcome to take a look and use it:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello! I have made a video on how to replace a cabin/pollen filter in 2013 Touareg, but they are pretty much the same since 2006 model.
you are welcome to take a look and use it:
Thanks for the informative and useful video. As you mention, the process is very much the same for all versions of the Touareg, except that with the T1 and T2 the under-dash panel has clips and the filter cover is secured with screws, otherwise it's the same.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts