Club Touareg Forum banner

Why are you replacing your rear reflector?

• Accident/Parking mishap

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Someone backed in to my car

• Upgrading the reflector to something better

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Crap happens

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the drivers side rear bumper reflector. It was so easy, and it took me about 5 minutes. The OEM reflector was $25 through the VW parts department.

What what you will need:
1. Reflector: Part Number 7L6 945 105 A (left) 7L6 945 106 A (Right)
2. Needle Nose Pliers

To start, push on the back of the clip by reaching under the rear bumper cover. Using needle nose pliers, pull from the front while pushing on the clip from under the bumper cover. The clip will bend and break. It's soft plastic, so you don't have to worry about bumper cover damage. Pull out the reflector from the center of the bumper and work your way toward the 3rd and last clip near the wheel well. You will see what I mean when you look at the replacement part. It has 3 clips. There's no hardware needed (no screws, brackets, etc).

To put in the new one, just push it straight in. Done!

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,379 Posts
Sorry for the delay in approval.

Nice write up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im llooking at tinting it and i was wondering if there if im carefull if i can pull it out and reinstall it with out it breaking?
Thanks- Blitzen
Not a chance in my opinion; at least not unless you take the bumper cover off. The backs of the clips are extremely hard to get to. More than likely you will break them. Lots of odd angles to reach the back of the clips; especially if you need pliers to pinch the clip ends together. I would spend $50 and buy now ones.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Having taken off the rear bumper cover several times, you can definitely remove the reflectors once you have it off. I actually have two covers - a clean one for road season and a beat-up one for offroad carnage. Swapped reflectors routinely.

BTW, to remove the cover - remove the torx screws in the wheel well; along the bottom rear; and under the taillights (see taillight removal and be careful with the ball mount) ... you'll end up with the cover and the body color section. Just slide rearward along the guides. Not sure how the parking sensors affect bumper cover removal. I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having taken off the rear bumper cover several times, you can definitely remove the reflectors once you have it off. I actually have two covers - a clean one for road season and a beat-up one for offroad carnage. Swapped reflectors routinely.

BTW, to remove the cover - remove the torx screws in the wheel well; along the bottom rear; and under the taillights (see taillight removal and be careful with the ball mount) ... you'll end up with the cover and the body color section. Just slide rearward along the guides. Not sure how the parking sensors affect bumper cover removal. I'll find out soon enough.
I took off the rear bumber to install a trailer hitch a couple weeks ago. I can't believe how easy it is to take it off. The only thing is that you have to remove the tail lights (2 screws each). You can definately remove the reflectors with the bumper off. If you remove the bumper, you can avoid breaking the clips on the reflectors. Bumber removal takes 10 minutes; 5 minutes if you've done it before. The bumber and tail lights are screws, no clips. Easy easy.

The parking sensors attach with plugs; everything works correctly when reattached.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to replace the drivers side rear bumper reflector. It was so easy, and it took me about 5 minutes. The OEM reflector was $25 through the VW parts department.

What what you will need:
1. Reflector: Part Number 7L6 945 105 A (left) 7L6 945 106 A (Right)
2. Needle Nose Pliers

To start, push on the back of the clip by reaching under the rear bumper cover. Using needle nose pliers, pull from the front while pushing on the clip from under the bumper cover. The clip will bend and break. It's soft plastic, so you don't have to worry about bumper cover damage. Pull out the reflector from the center of the bumper and work your way toward the 3rd and last clip near the wheel well. You will see what I mean when you look at the replacement part. It has 3 clips. There's no hardware needed (no screws, brackets, etc).

To put in the new one, just push it straight in. Done!
Great instructions. Easy to change. Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.