Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Aim headlights

Do you mean up-and-down? You should have a roll-switch next to the dash light roll switch (for dimming the dash lights) that dips or raises the headlights. It's great fun! Left-right? No idea.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't believe US versions of the TOUAREG have that headlight adjustment wheel.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Headlight wheel pics

Attached are pics of the headlight level wheel and the level wheel in context with the light switch. I thought you might be interested in what we get on that switch, too - different to Europe and US, I think. (Yes, I need to dust the dash...)

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Headlight wheel pics

Tamashek said:
Attached are pics of the headlight level wheel and the level wheel in context with the light switch. I thought you might be interested in what we get on that switch, too - different to Europe and US, I think. (Yes, I need to dust the dash...)

Tamashek,

Do you have xenon lights? Here if you order Xenon's as an option then you get automatic level headlights. We have no switch like that. :(

·
Registered
236 Posts
No xenon

I am pretty sure I don't have xenon headlights - I'm sure they would have made me pay for those, but then they didn't seem to know much about the car when I first got it (it was the first the dealer had seen) so maybe I was lucky...

It's a handy feature when the back is loaded to at least be able to point the lights away from oncoming drivers.

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
I remember migpower (in Portugal) mentioning that the Xenon lights do not have the adjust feature since they auto level.

Tamashek, do you have a higher res picture of the front of your 'egg you can post? It will be easy to tell from that. Either that, are do you have a set of two projector lenses (inner and outer) per side? If you do, they are Xenons. The halogens have only one projector lens per side.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Up close and personal

I'll take a close-up of the headlight, then I guess you can tell me! Feel a bit of a goose, but I'm a bit clueless on these sort of things - if the manual didn't spell it out, then I'm lost. I don't have any clearer shots of the headlights on my computer, so I'll try to take one tonight. I'll definitely post by Monday.

Cheers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Pics of headlights

OK - so I really need a crash course in lighting...

Looks like I only have one set of projectors. The inner one clearly has a filament, so must be halogen - yes? Why does the driving light not have a filament that I can see? So is the regular driving light (not high beam) a halogen or not? Went through the manual - nothing about the light type.

Anyway, here are the pictures. If you look really closely, you can see me reflected in the inner light - such professionalism...

Apologies to those who find the image too wide - I wanted some detail in this one.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
Those are the regular lights all right. The outer lights are an H7(?) single filament bulbs. The bulbs are behind the focusing projector lens. In a Xenon setup, those same outer lenses have the xenon lights, and identical looking lenses occupy the center spot.

The real question is why VW decided to use a rear reflecting lens on the inner lights instead of a front projector lens system?

The real bummer is that seeing your lights means that finding a 'plug and play' manual level adjusting solutions for the xenon lights is becoming less of a reality.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bummer

Sorry to disappoint, aircooled. Thanks for explaining the rear reflector: I was getting really excited there for a while... "It kinda looks blue..." Hmmm - so, in the US the standard lights do not have the adjustment wheel? And the xenons are self-levelling? I'm really confused now. I'll just go and twiddle my lights for a while... I don't think there is an emoticon for that... ;-)

·
Administrator
4,378 Posts
If you have the Xenon's, then they are self leveling. It can be been seen leveling when you turn on the car and when you have a major change in level of the rear axle, like going over a big bump or thru a big dip.

The standard halogen lights are in the same configuration as your lights, but do not have the leveler function and have no switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my lights on low beam seem to be aimed really low. I tried telling this to the dealership to see if they can raise the beam, however they continue to tell me they are right.

Where are the screws to rise the beam if you do not have the roll switch to do it? And to raise the beam, do you turn clockwise or counter?

·
Registered
164 Posts
the dealership replaced one of my bulbs and it was adjusted really really low..I did the steps seen in the link above and it barely moved it..so I took it back to the dealer..something was loose in the assembly and they got them fixed now.. as for what to use to adjust..I think the allen wrench in the back works.. we just used a plain old screwdriver.. good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
so an update.. I got it back from the dealer and 1st time I drove at night was thursday night coming 3 hours home from cincy.. I couldnt see A THING! the lights were lower to the ground than before I took the reg in.

so last night we spent hours adjusting the lights but couldnt get them right and the cut off lines were terrible.

so today we took out the headlights and unhooked the bulbs and looked in the light itself. there is nothing wrong inside etc.. hooked em back up and tonight they set PERFECT! wow..just taking them out and putting them back in on the slots made a heck of a difference!!! now the cut off lines are way out where you can hardly notice them and all..

so whats the whole idea behind the metal "shutter" inside the lens? it doesn't seem to move because its metal..and with the lights before they just went out and total black out after the line.. has anyone ever tried to remove it for better vision? my dad works on cars and hes never seen that in a lens..so wtf is up with it??

anyways Im so happy I can actually see to drive at night now..even though I am scared to death to drive at night..it makes me nearly sick. its all because over the spring I was driving on the highway at 65mph and 3 deer hit the left side of my car and I hit one on the front..the impact put us on 2 wheels and all.. I was driving.not something I want to ever experience again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.