Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just wanna have your input on this one. Do you think it should take an hour or it's like a 5 hours job ? thank you

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Why do you need to replace the calipers?

You can get them rebuilt [and then paint them red or blue too!]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I didn't know they could be rebuilt so I took the occasion to buy an "upgraded" version of the 6-4 pistons calipers with 350mm rotors.

Already replaced the front kit 6 months ago and now that my rear brakes have to be replaced, I will replace the 2 pistons calipers with my new 4 pistons calipers. I just heard a guy say "oh replacing your calipers is not a big deal, an hour should be enough, and another one say "for a touareg it's around 4hours"

So I guess like Xeno555 said it's not an easy one hour job replacing calipers/rotors/pads/sensors

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well I didn't know they could be rebuilt so I took the occasion to buy an "upgraded" version of the 6-4 pistons calipers with 350mm rotors.

Already replaced the front kit 6 months ago and now that my rear brakes have to be replaced, I will replace the 2 pistons calipers with my new 4 pistons calipers. I just heard a guy say "oh replacing your calipers is not a big deal, an hour should be enough, and another one say "for a touareg it's around 4hours"

So I guess like Xeno555 said it's not an easy one hour job replacing calipers/rotors/pads/sensors

So you know, tell us. :surprise:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow club touareg is like youtube comments now ? I also said "one tells me its an hour and another one says 4 hours"

And do I have to explain everything that happend the first time to have the credibility to deserve an answer ? I was expecting something like "It usually take around x hours to replace calipers if everything goes well, but sometimes "x" happens and it can take an hour more" Well it seems that my expectations were too high...

not every local garage know the tregs and thats why they sometimes say and do things wrong, thats why this forum is a great source of info, but nevermind.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The danger you might run into is not so much changing the calipers and rotors but changing the balance of the braking capability and thereby upsetting the car's anti-lock and electronic stability systems which may both require reprogramming via VCDS to get them working correctly and in harmony with the changes you have already made on the front.

Those might be cans of worms you really don't want to open.

·
Registered
133 Posts
wow club touareg is like youtube comments now ? I also said "one tells me its an hour and another one says 4 hours"

And do I have to explain everything that happend the first time to have the credibility to deserve an answer ? I was expecting something like "It usually take around x hours to replace calipers if everything goes well, but sometimes "x" happens and it can take an hour more" Well it seems that my expectations were too high...

not every local garage know the tregs and thats why they sometimes say and do things wrong, thats why this forum is a great source of info, but nevermind.
Your original question was somewhat vague. Are you doing the work yourself? What is your mechanical skill level? Are you paying to have it done? Does the shop have specific VW (and hopefully Touareg) knowledge?

The actual operation of physically changing the caliper isn't hard. Remove the pads, remove the brake line fitting and then remove two bolts to release it from the hub.

Where it might get tricky is, do you have the correct tools to do the job (large and uncommon triple square bit is needed for the rear caliper attaching bolts)? Are you prepared to fully bleed the braking system? Are you actually putting on different parts that might require a little on the fly re-engineering?

I appreciate you think the question is straightforward, but it really isn't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
noobytoogy: Yeah I read that before buying the calipers but the conclusion seemed to be that some "think" their "may" be an option to reprogram the vcds, and a lot of others changed the calipers without reprogramming and everything went well. I hope I wont have any bad surprises...

alhutch: you are right english is not my first language and my questions can be a little too straightforward sometimes. ;) It's not me doing the job it's the garage so yes they have the proper tools, I was just wondering why one guy says one hour and the other says 4 hours. I had -so many- bad experiences when garagists touch my treg that it's now really difficult to trust anyone...

anyways thanx guys.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fred - Your english is just fine. Just try to find a VW knowledgeable shop and you should be fine.

The difference between 1 hour and 4 hours is probably having done the job before, a lift and correct tools (or maybe a really rusty undercarrrage).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts