Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Hybrid

200 miles before my scheduled 120k service my check engine light started flashing along with the EPC light and a rough running engine. Since I was due for service anyway I took it in to have the issue looked at and depending on how much that was going to cost maybe get the 120k service done also. Result was multiple misfires on several cylinders due to worn out spark plugs. Since the 120 k service includes spark plugs, just doing the service cleared up the misfire. I service this vehicle as recommended every 10k. Plugs were changed at 60k.

So, plugs last exactly 59,800 miles. Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sure they do.... super scientific approach to your conclusion.

What happens if both you and I change our plugs at the exact same time, with the exact same brand and type, but then you drive your 59800 miles while I just idle my car in my driveway...... does that mean that my plugs still have 59800 miles to go once yours are toast?

There are tons of factors that contribute to plug life and wear.... for such a low cost maintenance item, I can't even comprehend why you would try to squeeze out 60k+ out of the same set.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not trying to stretch anything. The maintenance interval calls for spark plug replacement every 60k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I would suspect that the hybrid is harder on plugs.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I replace plugs on my Audi every 40.000 km (not miles).
When I bought the Treg (T1 2004) in 2017 I replaced the plugs right away.
60 k miles is a looong stretch I guess.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Recommended replacement intervals are suggestions, especially for something like plugs.... If your plugs are that worn that it's causing missfires, you should've had plenty of warning signs prior to that point... Your MPGs and power delivery would've declined, etc.

Depending on vehicle, engine, performance and typical use, I change plugs at different times.....

Lawnmower and Snowblower
- change plug when I can no longer start them

Crotch rocket
- change plugs every season

Turbo summer toy
- change plugs any time I suspect a missfire or loss of performance

Touareg
- never 😉

I also always use copper plugs... None of this platinum crap that's made for people who want to get 100k out of the same plugs and stuff..... But that's just me and to me it's a daily inexpensive consumable that I don't mind changing at the drop of a hat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
TurboABA
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing