Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd ask , particularly to those who've bought their 2012- 2016 Treg (T3 im pretty sure)
Which has
Off road & air suspension
Or offroad w/ diff locks + air suspension
(Now i know these cars find you) but....
How long did it take you to find yours?

I find pricing comparatively higher here in QLD vs NSW
Yet demand for cars has dropped a lot esp over the last few months due to economic downturn

Im thinking
  • could people be holding on to their cars for longer?
  • those on sale have been on sale for quite a long time, albeit more than average pricing.
Any thoughts , comments, discussion welcome

cheers
Shaf

·
Registered
2014 V6 TDI 180kW with Interior Comfort Package and Sunroof
42 Posts
Thought i'd ask , particularly to those who've bought their 2012- 2016 Treg (T3 im pretty sure)
Which has
Off road & air suspension
Or offroad w/ diff locks + air suspension
(Now i know these cars find you) but....
How long did it take you to find yours?

I find pricing comparatively higher here in QLD vs NSW
Yet demand for cars has dropped a lot esp over the last few months due to economic downturn

Im thinking
  • could people be holding on to their cars for longer?
  • those on sale have been on sale for quite a long time, albeit more than average pricing.
Any thoughts , comments, discussion welcome

cheers
Shaf
Shaf.
I've not long ago bought a 2014 V6 TDI (180kw) with air suspension, interior comfort package, towbar, sunroof and 140k on the clock. I would have liked a lower km car but was restricted to $30k budget. My only must haves were colour (white) (its a work car for use on a minesite, thus the white) and towbar to tow a van. Didn't really want a 150 kw as very few of them have air suspension which is so good when towing a van, boat etc. A bonus was it had 18" wheels as well, rather than the 20's that most of them have.
When I started looking the one I eventually bought was on the shortlist but I kept looking. There was a 4Xmotion in the mix but I was advised to give it a miss. Evidently they can have trouble with the transfer case, and to be quite honest I wouldn't really need the low range and diff locks anyway.
After 3 weeks I pulled the trigger on this one. It was relatively local (<150km away) and a country vehicle owned by a farming family which meant it did little stop/start traffic stuff and mainly highway or country roads including gravel but the duco was in good nick.
I've done 1500km so far and its great, so much nicer than my old 2010 T2 with 335000km on the clock. I'm looking forward to wearing out the current road tyres that are on it and getting a set of A/T tyres.
A friend works at a VW dealer and he has Tregs coming in for service with over 500000km on them so don't be too worried about buying higher mileage cars as you can get them at a good price and then afford to spend a few bob on them.
Hope this helps. Cheers Tim

Reactions: Kennyg and Shaf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim

Yes - that helps quite a bit actually, noted issues with low range transfer case.

i'd say im about a 6months - a year from purchasing my upgrade.

Great to know slightly higher mileage isnt a deal breaker , will def work in favour of a having few extra in the budget left over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Shaf.
Bought mine from Alliance Auctions in Sydney for 31 grad in January. Hundred thousand ks ,180kw with Sunroof and cream interior plus tow bar. I bought it to replace my 80 series Landcruiser to tow my Van and its a dream to drive! Put 4 new Yokohama all terrain tyres on it and had a full check up and service at VW dealer ($480) and all is good. Cant stop the Missus from driving it!! I am still checking online and for around 35k you will get a decent 180kw below 100000 ks at the moment (even from some dealers). Make sure it has Air Suspension especially if you tow a Van as it is so easy.
Good luck mate!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ended up with similar car to above - 2013 V6 TDI as I also wanted the air suspension for towing. Dealer put the tow pack on as part of the deal for $45k, 60,000 kms 12 months ago. I ended up with grey, really wanted white (like my last 6 or so daily drives) so should have held off a bit longer, as even here in Tassie, they do come up occasionally. Tassie was $2-3k more expensive than mainland, but it would have cost me that much by the time I went and looked a couple of times, and brought back on the boat. Probably looked seriously for 5-6 weeks, decided to do the deal rather than wait as my Territory was due for some expensive preventative maintenance.

Reactions: Shaf

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had my 2013 4XMotion for just over 4 years now. Took about 6 months to find and wasted a lot of time sifting through all the ads that said they were 4X only to find that many weren't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had my 2013 4XMotion for just over 4 years now. Took about 6 months to find and wasted a lot of time sifting through all the ads that said they were 4X only to find that many weren't.
Snooksie.... that is definitely half the battle!! i find now that i am regularly checking carsales and a couple other well known car classifieds i gotta flick through photos just to check which knobs these cars have regardless of what title they are given in the advert. Although the opposite could happen too - wonder if i'll ever catch one that is priced lower by accident meanwhile is actually a 4xmotion (wishful thinking anyway)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Shaf.
Bought mine from Alliance Auctions in Sydney for 31 grad in January. Hundred thousand ks ,180kw with Sunroof and cream interior plus tow bar. I bought it to replace my 80 series Landcruiser to tow my Van and its a dream to drive! Put 4 new Yokohama all terrain tyres on it and had a full check up and service at VW dealer ($480) and all is good. Cant stop the Missus from driving it!! I am still checking online and for around 35k you will get a decent 180kw below 100000 ks at the moment (even from some dealers). Make sure it has Air Suspension especially if you tow a Van as it is so easy.
Good luck mate!
thats a pretty good deal esp from an auction knowing yours was in very good nick ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up with similar car to above - 2013 V6 TDI as I also wanted the air suspension for towing. Dealer put the tow pack on as part of the deal for $45k, 60,000 kms 12 months ago. I ended up with grey, really wanted white (like my last 6 or so daily drives) so should have held off a bit longer, as even here in Tassie, they do come up occasionally. Tassie was $2-3k more expensive than mainland, but it would have cost me that much by the time I went and looked a couple of times, and brought back on the boat. Probably looked seriously for 5-6 weeks, decided to do the deal rather than wait as my Territory was due for some expensive preventative maintenance.
yeah i find the same QLD models are generally stable around the 30 - 35 k mark & sometimes even 40k , while NSW prices are lower by at least 5 k in comparison, my simple analysis puts it down to the fact that theres way more in the market in NSW than here in QLD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you had any dramas with the low range transfer case? I have my heart set on getting one of these but occasionally read there are problems but not specifics??

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
2yrs searching carsales every week till i found mine. Quit specific in what i needed ... air ... Casa motor... rear wheel carrier ... HID... colour was a bonus as would have been a sun roof but i can do with out that i suppose if i convince myself it is one more thing to go wrong. ... MY09 with 94k on clock for 21k

·
Registered
19 Posts
... wonder if i'll ever catch one that is priced lower by accident meanwhile is actually a 4xmotion (wishful thinking anyway)
Hi Shaf,
That's exactly how I got to buy my 2012 4xMotion Treg. The dealer had no idea what he was selling. After the car was mine, I talked with him about what he had missed. His eyes nearly popped out of his head! :). 2012, 128K on odo, air, both centre and rear lockable diffs, panoramic glass, active cruise, genuine tow ball, etc, etc. - all for $28,000.
So, keep looking mate. I looked for almost 6 months, got to know the market well and pounced as soon as one with everything I wanted came onto the market. You will need to be prepared, as the car you want is eagerly sort after. There were 2 other buyers who missed out by a matter of 30 minutes on the one I got.
Cheers,
Chimesy

Reactions: Shaf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2yrs searching carsales every week till i found mine. Quit specific in what i needed ... air ... Casa motor... rear wheel carrier ... HID... colour was a bonus as would have been a sun roof but i can do with out that i suppose if i convince myself it is one more thing to go wrong. ... MY09 with 94k on clock for 21k
2 yrs oh wow ... hows that for patience! , well done anyway. that is pretty good mileage for a 09 model!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you had any dramas with the low range transfer case? I have my heart set on getting one of these but occasionally read there are problems but not specifics??
was going to be my next question too - read my mind. would like to know about this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Shaf,
That's exactly how I got to buy my 2012 4xMotion Treg. The dealer had no idea what he was selling. After the car was mine, I talked with him about what he had missed. His eyes nearly popped out of his head! :). 2012, 128K on odo, air, both centre and rear lockable diffs, panoramic glass, active cruise, genuine tow ball, etc, etc. - all for $28,000.
So, keep looking mate. I looked for almost 6 months, got to know the market well and pounced as soon as one with everything I wanted came onto the market. You will need to be prepared, as the car you want is eagerly sort after. There were 2 other buyers who missed out by a matter of 30 minutes on the one I got.
Cheers,
Chimesy
Yeah great advice there, pays to know all about the different models and what they can do. Hope this "unicorn" finds me haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts