Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 V8 has 1y 15k to go before the warranty expires. I wonder if I should get rid of it before I get hit by the $$$ post-warranty repairs.

I've done all services at the dealer. $200 to $400 per visit - ouch. The car started with a few small problems. The dealer couldn't fix them all during the 1st service although they claimed they did. The 2nd schedule service fixed all. And it has been fine for a couple of years.

How is your baby after warranty?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Since I'm not in the US, my experience is a little different but I think some of it still applies.

In SA, all Touaregs come with a 5yr/100,000km AutoMotion Maintenance Plan which covers everything. I've had mine now for a little over 20 months and had my fair share of issues, but the only things I had to pay for were fuel, tyres and top-up oil.

Mine's a Sep'04 model with 98,000km on the clock so I'm pretty close to expiry (2,000km and 2 months). I was concerned about the same issue, so a couple of months ago, I went to the dealer to find out how much they would give me for a trade-in on a newer model.... Bad idea.... :mad:

After recovering from the "It's an old car with no maintenance plan = HUGE depreciation" heart attack giving speech, I decided to buy the electronic workshop manuals, a VAG-COM cable, an extended warranty that covers major components and keep it for at least another 3 years.

One of the big problems with the maintenance plans is that the dealers get away with charging ridiculous labour rates, because the financier (ABSA Bank in this case) pays for it without giving it a second glance. Unfortunately, once out of maintenance plan, the owner is faced with the same rates.

I'm a big boy with my own toys. From Sep'09 my treg will be serviced by three guys.... ME, MYSLEF and I... :D My estimation is that I could probably halve the future maintenance costs by shopping around for parts and cutting out the labour. None of it is rocket science.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I agree, I do most of my own maintenance already. Partly because I get to save a few $, but also I enjoy doing the work.

I won't be pulling transmissions, but oil, brakes, etc are the easy ones that I can do my self. The big stuff is all under warranty anyway.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Only snag here is that the warranty companies don't like us working on our own cars. They shy away from their responsibility the moment someone touches the car that is not a member of some motor fixer-upper union type association. (They have a name, can't remember it though...) However, there are ways around that too. All you need is a friend at a VW dealer with a rubber stamp... ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since I'm not in the US, my experience is a little different but I think some of it still applies.

In SA, all Touaregs come with a 5yr/100,000km AutoMotion Maintenance Plan which covers everything. I've had mine now for a little over 20 months and had my fair share of issues, but the only things I had to pay for were fuel, tyres and top-up oil.

Mine's a Sep'04 model with 98,000km on the clock so I'm pretty close to expiry (2,000km and 2 months). I was concerned about the same issue, so a couple of months ago, I went to the dealer to find out how much they would give me for a trade-in on a newer model.... Bad idea.... :mad:

After recovering from the "It's an old car with no maintenance plan = HUGE depreciation" heart attack giving speech, I decided to buy the electronic workshop manuals, a VAG-COM cable, an extended warranty that covers major components and keep it for at least another 3 years.

One of the big problems with the maintenance plans is that the dealers get away with charging ridiculous labour rates, because the financier (ABSA Bank in this case) pays for it without giving it a second glance. Unfortunately, once out of maintenance plan, the owner is faced with the same rates.

I'm a big boy with my own toys. From Sep'09 my treg will be serviced by three guys.... ME, MYSLEF and I... :D My estimation is that I could probably halve the future maintenance costs by shopping around for parts and cutting out the labour. None of it is rocket science.
Hi Andrie,

James here from, JHB. I see you mention "an extended warranty that covers major components" Could I ask which one you have or are considering? My V8 turns 5 on Monday, and then I'm on my own. I was all set to extend the Maintenance plan with ABSA until they stopped offering it about a month ago. I've also looked at Motorite, and they don't seem too bad, R11k for 2 years and a reasonable amount of cover, but thing is from what I've read on the net, and what the dealer says, they take their time and look for any excuse not to pay. Especially running a little over your service interval.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

James

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hey James

Nice to see another South African here!!!

I didn't do my homework properly when I bought mine in Oct'07. I bought the car from Lindsay Saker in Rosebank and they "inluded" a 2 year extended warranty from SA Warranties, which was about R6k I think...

I've never had to use it as the AutoMotion plan has covered everything up to now, so in effect I've been double insured. :mad: I was thinking of contacting SA Warranties closer to Sep09 to find out what my options are with an extension.

I also had an extended warranty from Motorite on my Nissan Hardbody, which I did use for a rear diff replacement and the experience wasn't too painful, but since I'm already with SA Warranties, I'd probably stick with them.

I wasn't aware that ABSA don't offer extensions on the maintenance plan anymore. Doesn't surprise me, really. They quoted me over R24k to extend it from 100,000km to 120,000km. So that equates to R12k a service, which I thought was a little rich, especially considering that none of the standard services on my Treg was ever more than R5k.

Hope this helps...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts