Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DLR: How do I get get R-Line ride height and proper dampening on my 2012 3.6L Sport using H&R Springs?

Hi, all.

I'm trying to take my 2012 3.6L Sport (springs, no-air) to the S-Line 3.6L ride height (springs, no-air), which I estimate to be the same as the lowest setting for those with air adjustable ride height. I'm not trying to "slam" it. I do want the lower ride height that I see with the stock S-Line or typical Cayenne. I don't ride off-road.

I'm trying to avoid a situation where I put on S-Line springs or H&R Springs but the dampeners aren't ready for the lower ride height and I get a bounce and ruin my shocks.

I've done lots of research (forums, comparing VW part numbers, Bilstein part numbers, etc...) trying to figure out the best move here.

What I've found:

• The 2014-2015 3.6L S-Line has a ride height that is about 1" lower than other steel spring Touaregs as part of the OEM "Sport Suspension" package.
  • My 2015 Sport does not have this "Sport Suspension" package (you would think it would, though, right?)
  • The 2014-2015 3.6L S-Line does use different part numbers for the front and rear dampeners, indicating to me that they are tuned to expect a lower ride height. These dampeners are only spec'd for the R-Line and "X" models...no other models. (What does "Weight Range 2,3." mean?)
Here's where it gets confusing:

• Bilstein's website lists the exact same dampeners for both my 2012 3.6L Sport and 2014/2015 3.6L S-Line.
I want to do this right once. Am I over-thinking this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's where it gets confusing:

• Bilstein's website lists the exact same dampeners for both my 2012 3.6L Sport and 2014/2015 3.6L S-Line.
This should be "R-Line" not "S-Line" (got Audi on the brain). I can't seem to edit the post above.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you compared the height of the springs?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you compared the height of the springs?
I have not.

The stock springs for my truck are on the truck. I don't have any R-Line springs on-hand. I can measure the H&R springs when they arrive. But, what would I compare them to?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Parts are interchangeable, and as such will work across all those years as per your aftermarket website... that's why you don't see different options.
The VW parts you're comparing are different because they are different models (R-line vs everything else).... R-line is lower, etc.....

The aftermarket may not actually change the dampeners between the two.... VAG obviously both lowered and firmed up the ride

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts are interchangeable, and as such will work across all those years as per your aftermarket website... that's why you don't see different options.
The VW parts you're comparing are different because they are different models (R-line vs everything else).... R-line is lower, etc.....

The aftermarket may not actually change the dampeners between the two.... VAG obviously both lowered and firmed up the ride
True.

What's throwing me for a loop is that the dampeners for the non-R are spec'd for 35 variants (none of which are R-Line) and specifically state "w/o sport suspension.". The dampeners for the R-Line are only spec'd for 3 variants, two R-Line engines and one "X".

So, is the assumption that Bilstens are made for both Stock or Sport ride height whereas the OEM parts have separate dampeners for Stock and Sport ride height?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It would seem that the aftermarket uses the same valving across the board, but VW doesn't. (VW did it right, aftermarket did it cost effective)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would seem that the aftermarket uses the same valving across the board, but VW doesn't. (VW did it right, aftermarket did it cost effective)
Which dampeners might you suggest I use for my application (H&R sport springs)?

• OEM Normal
  • OEM R-Line
  • Aftermaket (Bilstein or other)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Looking at the H&R kits, they say that if you use shorter springs to lower the car by up to 40mm you can use your existing dampers.

Lower it more and you need sports dampers.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

• OEM Normal
  • OEM R-Line
Probably a solid question for the spring manufacturer.... unless you're confusing me with H&R :grin2:
Is it only ride height that you're concerned with or stiffness too?
Are your lowering springs stiffer? Are you looking to firm things up more than that? You've provided some vague details so I'm not sure how you expect anyone to give you suggestions? Why are you changing the setup? Do you want stance or performance? If you're just "parking hard" at a local coffee shop, springs alone should do.... if you tow or corner hard, you'll need more than just springs.... etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

• OEM Normal
  • OEM R-Line
Probably a solid question for the spring manufacturer.... unless you're confusing me with H&R /forums/images/ClubTouareg_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Is it only ride height that you're concerned with or stiffness too?
Are your lowering springs stiffer? Are you looking to firm things up more than that? You've provided some vague details so I'm not sure how you expect anyone to give you suggestions? Why are you changing the setup? Do you want stance or performance? If you're just "parking hard" at a local coffee shop, springs alone should do.... if you tow or corner hard, you'll need more than just springs.... etc.
I asked about dampeners for sport/RLine springs, not whether I should get springs. I’ve stated (in detail) my reasons above.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'm not wasting my time looking up the specs on the springs, and since you don't want to disclose how or if your spring rates are different (or don't understand why this is a factor) you can go with whatever dampener you feel like.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not wasting my time looking up the specs on the springs, and since you don't want to disclose how or if your spring rates are different (or don't understand why this is a factor) you can go with whatever dampener you feel like.
OK. Nobody asked you to reply in the first place 😄

Not sure why you are getting crabby about this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts