Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I seem to be in a bit of bother. I wanted to replace both of my xenon light bulbs because one of them had turned pink. As you all know the whole light unit has to be removed with a tool from the boot of the car. But both my nuts have been previously snapped off. Does anyone have any idea of what to do now please. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Fatmans V10;1344050But both my nuts have been previously snapped off.[/QUOTE said:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Castrated Fatman!

Most people in these circumstances get a pair of mole grips, grip very firmly what they can of the locking bar [sometimes having to use a small dremel to cut an access point] and twist firmly in the UNDO direction and, hey presto, the headlight unit moves forward as it should.

I take it you know there is then a hard-to-find-but-dead-easy-once-you-know-where-it-is détente spring you have to push down to release the unit in its entirety?

You can replace the headlight buckets the light units sit in, but to do so you have to remove the front bumper which is easy enough, but a two man job as it is bulky.

Do make sure you buy a pair of genuine [always replace bulbs in pairs] Osram or Philips bulbs, not some Chink copy off fleabay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey noobytoogy thanks man. Unfortunately I may only be able to get a grip on one of the bars the other one is gone man gone. The only thing visible is a finned plastic thingy looks like a gear of somesort. I do know of the spring yes.
Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you can only see the fin thingummy, how is the light unit held in if the locking bar that should pass underneath it has gone?

Has someone ziptied the headlight unit in - a common "fix"?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Post some photos.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My goodness didn't he do well, I'll try that. Passenger side is completely gone nothing there at all. But a big big thank you to you I feel a lot better knowing there is a fix out there. Mine is a 5.0 L V10 I've had a few problems with it and I've only owned it for a month lol. But a big big thank you for your help. Kind regards
FATMANSV10

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you are a relatively new owner, take time to read the buying a Touareg link in my signature. You will learn a lot I suspect and it may save you money as well at some stage.

You are a brave man taking on a V10! It is ESSENTIAL you know with 100% certainty what engine oil is in the sump to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear as even dealers put the wrong stuff in so do, please, read up on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll read it. The history was very impressive all dealer and at the right times. I had it checked out by Listers V W they only found a major oil leak, and a light bulb that's pink in colour. The oil leak was fixed by the dealer I brought it off the guy was brilliant it was a engine out job the two fuel pump seals were leaking the oil the guy just put 2 new pumps in who does that these days. I'll read your buying guide although it's a bit late now lol. Thanks man

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's not too late - there's loads of useful info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts