Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult or impossible would it to swap a 2012 Aisin 8-Speed into a T2 3.0 TDI replacing the ZF? 6-Speed?

if all bolts up, I'd guess that ECU pairing and coding would be the only issue as they're of a different generation.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
All Touareg automatics have been Aisin sourced. The only ZF transmission was a manual (stick) that came in the five cylinder diesel.

·
Super Moderator
9,720 Posts
You willing to loose the transfer case with doing this to just add two more gears? I doubt seriously you could keep it with the 8 spd since we had none sourced here with the transfer case installed too.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The eight speed does indeed have a transfer case! Yes, it is a Torsen based single speed, as opposed to the older two speed Haldex based unit, but without a transfer case, how do you think the power gets to the front wheels?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The eight speed does indeed have a transfer case! Yes, it is a Torsen based single speed, as opposed to the older two speed Haldex based unit, but without a transfer case, how do you think the power gets to the front wheels?
The terrain tech models have a high/low range transfer case.

The gearbox talks to everything. Engine, HVAC, comfort electronics etc.

Unless you are a super duper software engineer knowing the VW coding by heart I doubt it would be possible.

The only way would be to swap everything over and it's much easier just to sell and buy a T3 than to do the swap.

The 8 speed is great but not that much greater than the 6 speed to warrant the effort of a swap.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,391 Posts
You’re not gonna be able to control that 8 speed, since the T1/2 never came with it, the modules won’t talk to each other. Different protocols, etc.
What do you hope to gain from this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts