Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult or impossible would it to swap a 2012 Aisin 8-Speed into a T2 3.0 TDI replacing the ZF? 6-Speed?

if all bolts up, I'd guess that ECU pairing and coding would be the only issue as they're of a different generation.

· Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
You willing to loose the transfer case with doing this to just add two more gears? I doubt seriously you could keep it with the 8 spd since we had none sourced here with the transfer case installed too.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
The eight speed does indeed have a transfer case! Yes, it is a Torsen based single speed, as opposed to the older two speed Haldex based unit, but without a transfer case, how do you think the power gets to the front wheels?

· Registered
1,827 Posts
The eight speed does indeed have a transfer case! Yes, it is a Torsen based single speed, as opposed to the older two speed Haldex based unit, but without a transfer case, how do you think the power gets to the front wheels?
The terrain tech models have a high/low range transfer case.

The gearbox talks to everything. Engine, HVAC, comfort electronics etc.

Unless you are a super duper software engineer knowing the VW coding by heart I doubt it would be possible.

The only way would be to swap everything over and it's much easier just to sell and buy a T3 than to do the swap.

The 8 speed is great but not that much greater than the 6 speed to warrant the effort of a swap.

· Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
You’re not gonna be able to control that 8 speed, since the T1/2 never came with it, the modules won’t talk to each other. Different protocols, etc.
What do you hope to gain from this?

· Registered
Raar locking
3 Posts
Does anyone knows if the 8-speed and 6-speed gearbox houses have the same interference flanges? To engine and transfer case?
Software is not the issue here from mine side.

I am willing to make the swap on a V10 TDI engine.

· Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
611 Posts
V10 has 750 Nm of torque the later V8 TDI that used the Aisin 0C8 transmission had 800 Nm. I understand the transmission is actually deisgned for a maximum of 1000 Nm

· Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
611 Posts
The biggest challenge with this sort of swap will be getting the engine and transmission control modules talking to each other to properly control the gear changes as this control programming will be transmission and engine specific. As you observe while the 0C8 transmission gear set may be able to handle 1000 Nm, the torque conveter and lock up clutch in a V6 7P 0C8 may not be rated for that and will probably be different from whats used in the V8 TDI 7P. People have tuned the V8TDI to do 1000 Nm of torque and i have not heard of them destroying the transmission .... yet :)

· Registered
Raar locking
3 Posts
Does anyone knows if the 8-speed and 6-speed gearbox houses have the same interference flanges? To engine and transfer case?
Software is not the issue here from mine side.

I am willing to make the swap on a V10 TDI engine.
Can somebody read my question again and reply to that?
Again software adaptation is no issue here, thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts