Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a factory hitch with the 7-pin round connector, but from what I can see, no brake controller. Would that be part of the towing package? I plan to tow, how can I check to ensure I have the high-output cooling fans/additional coolers/etc?

If I'm not set up with those features, what are my options for retrofit/aftermarket?

2009 3.0 TDI

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
All Touaregs come tow ready from a drive train mechanical perspective. Cooling system, lubrication systems, braking...all are fantastic even when towing at the max.

If you have a hitch and seven pin plug the only component (other the brake controller) you need to look for is a computer box located in the passenger side rear trunk area near your CD changer and emergency fuel flap release. The seven pin harness comes up through the the passengers side behind the bumper and enters down in the wheel well, this harness then travels up and terminates in a plug that has a (I think) rectangular or square adapter that plugs into this computer. The computer is no larger than an external hard drive.

The purpose of this computer is broad...it monitors if tail lights are out, it sets the alarm off if the trailer is unplugged when locked, it turns off backup sensors...

more than likely you already have this box as the OEM hitch mostly came with it. As such, you likely only need install a brake controller.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OEM hitch was added by the dealership, but I don't see that box there. From your description it sounds helpful, but not strictly necessary. Looks like the previous owner paid for an incomplete job.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The OEM hitch was added by the dealership, but I don't see that box there. From your description it sounds helpful, but not strictly necessary. Looks like the previous owner paid for an incomplete job.
The VW towing module (NOT to be confused with the aftermarket trailer brake controller of your choice, which you will need to fit) mentioned above, does much more; it controls sway by using the ABS, controls gearbox shifting, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I forgot about the shifting and ESP modifications...both very important. You might try online (although I don't know where perhaps ebay). New from dealer is killer expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts