Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running an aftermarket radio on their Touareg specifically one that has an exiting backup camera? I want to upgrade my radio with one that has support for backup cameras but I want to know what is needed to connect the wiring. Is there an adapter or will I need to splice some wires?

This is for a 2008

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
All aftermarket cameras use a composite video signal.

The camera in the touareg uses a video signal that is closer the the RBG signal used in older computer monitors which was often refereed to as the VGA standard. It was replaced by the DVI and later by the HDMI standard.

You will need to run new wires to the back hatch. You can buy a new rear hatch housing that has a standard camera built into it that will replace the factory camera. The new camera will work with any aftermarket kit.

In theory, you can combine the R+G+B+Sync (4 wires) from the Touareg camera with an adapter to produce a composite signal, if someone made the proper interface.

Interfaces like this were and have always been rare. I have never seen it successfully done on a Touareg but an electronics engineer who knows video standards should be able to cook one up. It would not even be a complex circuit.

But, it is much easier to just run new wires and to replace a camera then the reverse engineer the non-standard setup that VW used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All aftermarket cameras use a composite video signal.

The camera in the touareg uses a video signal that is closer the the RBG signal used in older computer monitors which was often refereed to as the VGA standard. It was replaced by the DVI and later by the HDMI standard.

You will need to run new wires to the back hatch. You can buy a new rear hatch housing that has a standard camera built into it that will replace the factory camera. The new camera will work with any aftermarket kit.

In theory, you can combine the R+G+B+Sync (4 wires) from the Touareg camera with an adapter to produce a composite signal, if someone made the proper interface.

Interfaces like this were and have always been rare. I have never seen it successfully done on a Touareg but an electronics engineer who knows video standards should be able to cook one up. It would not even be a complex circuit.

But, it is much easier to just run new wires and to replace a camera then the reverse engineer the non-standard setup that VW used.

Thanks for the info, I ran across a video some time ago of some radio installers shop that did just what you were talking about with finding the right wires and splicing them to make it work. I just wish I saved it. However, with the new radio and new camera may be desired anyway so it is clearer.

Do you know much about wireless cameras? I'm just not to crazy about the idea of pulling wires from the radio to the rear of the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts