Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is our 238,000+ mile 2013 V6 TDI with a 2.5" Lift and 285/55R20 Tires, and below is our 06 GEN1 Touareg V10 temporarily fitted with 21" wheels we removed from our Q7 Prestige S-Line. We already purchased a 3" Lift with subframe drop for the air suspension GEN1, and the V10 will be getting the same 285/55R20 tires installed once we install the lift. The 06 with low range + rear locker, it will be awesome off road, I wish it had a 2nd GEN V6 TDI instead of the 20yr old V10 TDI.
Speedometer Car Vehicle Odometer Steering part

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I was impressed back in 2004, but they were way too expensive.

10 years later, 2nd gen V6 TDI with an inexpensive Stage 2 tune has almost as much power, is much lighter, quieter, smoother, AND can get 35MPG even with Full time 4WD and easily pulls an 8000lb trailer.

And best of all, they're reliable, never any problems with ANY of our V6 TDI's. (Not to be confused with the 1st gen V6 TDI timing chain tensioner problems etc.)

The perfect Touareg for me and a lot of others was never available in this country, that would be exactly what I am looking for now, but with Low Range, the rear locker, and the newer gen V6 TDI.

I could get that in a Porsche Cayenne, but I just can't get past how UGLY they are.

V10 is now 20yr old technology. It WAS impressive back then, but it's a novelty now IMO.

It is still FAST and Powerful, but it's expected to be, 5.0L V10 for Christ sakes. Even the 2nd Gen V6 TDI is now old technology, but it's most likely the newest diesel technology your going to see in North America ever again.

No other diesel engine available to North America is as quiet and smooth as that V6 TDI, no other SUV is able to pull an 8000LB + trailer and get 20mpg doing it, and 32+MPG Highway and doing all this for years lifted with oversized tires and 238,000 miles with no major problems yet to date. That is impressive.
I know you didn't just call the Cayenne ugly

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am about to list our much loved 2006 V10 as a project car... we need a 3rd row and the $6500 repair estimate from the dealership to clear up bad sensors just won't work... especially after throwing a couple grand at the brakes in recent months.

So... in the "how are they holding up" category... the drivetrain is strong at ~150k miles, but everything around it is getting harder to find and more expensive to fix.

It took us coast to coast with Airstream confidently in tow no matter the roads or conditions.

Anyone interested in a parts car or great project starter if you're interested in removing the exhaust... let me know.

Shame to let it go, but somebody will love it... or love tearing it apart.

·
Registered
2004, V10, AYH
135 Posts
I am about to list our much loved 2006 V10 as a project car... we need a 3rd row and the $6500 repair estimate from the dealership to clear up bad sensors just won't work... especially after throwing a couple grand at the brakes in recent months.

So... in the "how are they holding up" category... the drivetrain is strong at ~150k miles, but everything around it is getting harder to find and more expensive to fix.

It took us coast to coast with Airstream confidently in tow no matter the roads or conditions.

Anyone interested in a parts car or great project starter if you're interested in removing the exhaust... let me know.

Shame to let it go, but somebody will love it... or love tearing it apart.
Crikey, which bad sensors were going to cost $6500?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I would find a guru, or start a thread in here so we can help you, if you love the car that much

Reactions: PJMax

·
Registered
96 Posts
I loved my 2004 V10 with every option. Loved getting pushed back in the seat on acceleration! We were driving up the Baja north of Guerrero *****, where here is a very long straight stretch. My wife was asleep and I was cruising comfortably at 180 kph. I'd love that power now that I pull a trailer. I am torn about having warranty on my V6TDI and wanting to do the Malone stage 2, to get that power back. Patience, patience! I got rid of the V10 in 2011, when I couldn't buy any more warranty for it. Watching VW eat a $15,000 bill for turbos made me nervous. It was my favourite vehicle of all time!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yes, I did. It looks to me like a frog. Porsche sports car body style does not go with 4X4 or SUV. It does not work for me.
I think the Cayenne is one of the most beautiful suv's ever made. Porsche's aren't for everyone. They push the boundaries for people who are not scared to live outside the box. The Cayenne just does that. It's for people who do not care about what others think about them. It's a status symbol.

I'm not sure if you've ever driven a Cayenne but I can tell it drives insane. You can throw it around, and push it to the limits and it's always up for it. In deep snow no prob, on the beach no prob. I've owned two, and am always looking to buy another one. The Cayenne has never left my heart and I literally think about mine that I sold every day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now that I've got my V10's sorted out (Cams, etc...), they are very reliable and easy to maintain. Not supercar money, IMO. I still have the occasional electrical gremlin from time-to time, but I would have no issue jumping into my 2004 with 235K miles on it and driving it across the country.
Just joined… I am second owner on a 04 v10. Put about 50k on it in the last year and a half, is at 202k now and love it. Just changed fuel filters, and need to do tandem pump but love driving and pulling with it. Got it for about $9k from a gentleman in Breckinridge who warranted it to the hilt. He also had had it Malone stage one tuned. Thanks for the forum and yes I will try to do 90% of my own wrenching to not go broke;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 V10 with 110K on it . I love Turbo Diesels and own a newer Range Rover TD6 and have my second Malone tuned Mercedes Sprinter. I am an above average non- professional mechanic and I was scared ****less of this car being a money pit and above my mechanical abilities.....but had to have it. It was sitting for 4 years and I replaced suspension compressor, distributor and relay. I replaced all the leaky brake vacuum lines and a few other things that would have cost $10k or more at dealer. It cost me less than $500. Many hours of reading this groups threads and learning the Vag.com but I am feeling very different about this machine.
This car is a dream to take both off roading and on long highway trips. If I want to relive my High School days, I turn off ESP and can smoke my BFG KO2's off the line. It has been such a fun rig. Out of date technology? Refined ride and features maybe. But I challenge that statement on the motor.
If you can't work on them, they are not for you. If you are mechanical, get a Ross Tech VAG.com, search this forum for any issues your having and you can work on most everything. The air suspension and other parts have gotten very cheap as well.
There is just something about a plush, capable 6,000# car with 550 pounds of torque that is hard to explain......

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Can they go for 300k miles? The answer is more like, "how much money do you have". Many of the T1s, especially the V10s, have gone to the great scrap yard in the sky due to the cost of parts and service combined with that classic German reliability. For the V10, most dealers have gotten rid of the special lifts and equipment and will no longer touch them. Few independent shops have ever seen one. Even if you can do all the work yourself, do you want it sitting for weeks while you try to find an unobtanium part? You still have all the other issues and cost that come with any T1 or any 20 year old vehicle.

Yes, they were awesome in their day. Technology has moved on as have most of the owners.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm not impressed. It's not that much more powerful than our 2013 V6 TDI with 238,000 miles on it. V10 sounds like a lot of mechanical noise going on inside which gives me the impression it's turning a higher RPM than it actually is, confirmed when I look down at the tach & it's only turning 1800rpm but sounds like it's turning 4000rpm. Just feels that way, especially Compared to our newer era silk smooth quiet 3.0L V6 TDI's.
The V10 has no timing belt or chain as it uses gears instead, that is where the whine comes from.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You yanks make me laugh the way you carry on. Talking about a v6 that's been tuned compared to an old v10 that has not.
Call it what it is you will not buy another car in that price range that has the performance and interior features that the v10 has.
Of course I can go out and buy a new car for way more money and its going to be better.
Here in Australia I have 2010 V10 R50 and it goes good enough to get past most others on the road especially those that have spent less than $20k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes I would have to agree with you on this my v10 done 335km and still going strong. I do all my own maintenance and purchase most parts from the US like fcp and europarts way cheaper even after freight ! These cars are just nuts and bolts like any other car the engines are simple but if you can’t twiddle a spanner you will get “pineappled “ by the vw dealer or indie ....
Totally agree. Mine has just passed 420k and has always been the perfect touring car - comfortable, composed, powerful, surprising economy and very capable off-road. VW dealers are clueless and they never got a cent after the first (warranty) year. The base V10 is unstressed as was shown by the R50 and just needs the normal TLC and knowledge of its quirks (that are discussed on this site) to keep in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The first generation Cayennes were hideous, they got it right the second time and have kept up nicely since.
You're blind. I had two of them when they first came out. Gold and a Silver one. The Gold one I traded in for The silver and kept It until 2016. I don't think they aged well. But new they where something special

21 - 40 of 44 Posts