Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I seen most of the one's posted for sale are in 3 brackets, barely hitting 100k, mid 150s, and low 200K+, I don't remember seeing 300K+ for sale, I think at that point everything would be sorted, and you'd keep it.

I've seen some drop into beater range, but they won't cost beater money once they are picked up unless the new owner is very resourceful. What I've seen more recently are possibly money pits that require engine out work, or undiagnosed electrical/sensor issues. Around 8K you might find a semi high mileage one that is mostly working, and over 12K for a decent one.
Some of the cheaper ones might be a deal if one could figure out the issue.
It's getting rougher with the current market right now. The car market is off right now, and people can't trade to something different unless they pay a lot more than a year ago.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The prob is with the V10's no one can fix them and they cost super car money to maintain. So in the end is it really worth it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Now that I've got my V10's sorted out (Cams, etc...), they are very reliable and easy to maintain. Not supercar money, IMO. I still have the occasional electrical gremlin from time-to time, but I would have no issue jumping into my 2004 with 235K miles on it and driving it across the country.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Since these are pre-clean diesel, just how much is there to maintain besides oil changes and filter replacements that are any more then other vehicles of the era?
Every part on that V10. Turbos mainly, plus the engine needs to be dropped for every little thing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Every part on that V10. Turbos mainly, plus the engine needs to be dropped for every little thing
Gotta dig in a little to also reach alternator/generator.

If I remember correctly the 2004 you had to be careful with the air lines of the suspension because they could corrode, also there was something about the suspension, and it wasn't until the 2006 model where you could replace/order individual. I could be wrong.

My ideal one would be a 2004 because the closest station doesn't carry ultra low sulfur diesel, and upgraded to the 2006 model suspension.

Do you think most of the original 04 had their suspensions already replaced? or you on the original set on your 04v10?

I think where it might be at these days is a chipped T3 V6 TDI due to that 8 spd transmission allowing for a higher efficiency thou.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm on my original suspension. Never had to change it yet.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'm on my original suspension. Never had to change it yet.
Totally random thought here. Ever tracked your v10s in the 1/8 or 1/4?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'm imagining that they do lol

·
Registered
2004, V10, AYH
135 Posts
Have you even owned one? I only say this because it is very common that the people that haven't owned one are the ones that seem to bang on about how hard they are to work on.
There's plenty that can be done without dropping the engine, much more than the dealership would have you believe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We recently bought a real nice GEN1 2006 V10 with 133,000 miles & rear locker for only $7995. (Could not pass on that deal!) Previous owner put Over $4000 in brand new turbos and other stuff done to it, runs perfectly for now, does not even leak a drop of oil.

We absolutely did not need it, we bought it just because. Not afraid because we can fix it ourselves no matter what goes wrong with it, the dealership will never touch it.

MPG is better than I expected, 23+mpg Highway with CC, and even mixed City daily use we were getting 15 mpg to 17 mpg, not great, but still it's a HUGE 5.0L V10, & still better than our friends brand new ford 3.5L twin turbo ECO Boost which is EPA rated 17 City 23 Highway, but in REALITY only gets 11mpg to 12 mpg. Even our brothers 2000 Izuzu Trooper with a 3.5L V6 and gutless NO POWER is only getting 12mpg to 14mpg average and neither of them are in 4WD.

HOWEVER, I am curious to know if anyone else who has owned a V10 TDI for awhile out there feels the same way I do.

I'm not impressed. It's not that much more powerful than our 2013 V6 TDI with 238,000 miles on it. V10 sounds like a lot of mechanical noise going on inside which gives me the impression it's turning a higher RPM than it actually is, confirmed when I look down at the tach & it's only turning 1800rpm but sounds like it's turning 4000rpm. Just feels that way, especially Compared to our newer era silk smooth quiet 3.0L V6 TDI's.

V10 does not put out as much power per cylinder or liter compared to 3.0L V6. IF the V10 were not so heavy, expensive, rare, and dirty (smokes and although it's not loud at all, but in comparison to 3.0L V6's, well lets just say there is no doubt it's a diesel, not nearly as quiet, smooth & refined as 3.0L V6 TDI.

I'm more impressed with the same 3.0L TDI in our AUDI Q5's, especially our 2014 is tuned & deleted, quiet, smooth no smoke at all, no smells or leaks at all and it's REALLY FAST and FUN. 490ftlbs of torque and the car only weighs 4500lbs.

Just not that impressed with the V10, but we do own one just because, it's not for sale, and to be fair it is 2002 Technology, it's really not all that impressive today, lots of hype is exaggerated more than the actual reality. I have more love for the V6 TDI's now. Our 2014 Q5 just turned over 201,000 miles, and our black Lifted 2013 Touareg just turned over 239,000 HARD Heavy Trailer Towing miles.

Never had problems with any of them yet, except a new Alternator for the 2013 @ 225,000 miles.

It would be interesting to race the Touareg V10 and our Tuned Q5. That Q5 pushes my eyeballs back when I accelerate hard, seems like even more than the V10 Touareg, at least it feels that way.

2014 Q5 3.0L TDI 4508lbs Stage 2 305HP 490 ft-lb
2006 Gen 1 Touareg V10 TDI 5825lbs Stock 313HP 553 ft-lb

·
Registered
2005 V10 Tdi Treg , 2012 V8 Tdi Treg, 2008 V10 FSi S6 Audi , 2012 1.4TSi Golf , 1989 Mazda 323 1.3
34 Posts
Have you even owned one? I only say this because it is very common that the people that haven't owned one are the ones that seem to bang on about how hard they are to work on.
There's plenty that can be done without dropping the engine, much more than the dealership would have you believe.

·
Registered
2005 V10 Tdi Treg , 2012 V8 Tdi Treg, 2008 V10 FSi S6 Audi , 2012 1.4TSi Golf , 1989 Mazda 323 1.3
34 Posts
Yes I would have to agree with you on this my v10 done 335km and still going strong. I do all my own maintenance and purchase most parts from the US like fcp and europarts way cheaper even after freight ! These cars are just nuts and bolts like any other car the engines are simple but if you can’t twiddle a spanner you will get “pineappled “ by the vw dealer or indie ....

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
We recently bought a real nice GEN1 2006 V10 with 133,000 miles & rear locker for only $7995. (Could not pass on that deal!) Previous owner put Over $4000 in brand new turbos and other stuff done to it, runs perfectly for now, does not even leak a drop of oil.

We absolutely did not need it, we bought it just because. Not afraid because we can fix it ourselves no matter what goes wrong with it, the dealership will never touch it.

MPG is better than I expected, 23+mpg Highway with CC, and even mixed City daily use we were getting 15 mpg to 17 mpg, not great, but still it's a HUGE 5.0L V10, & still better than our friends brand new ford 3.5L twin turbo ECO Boost which is EPA rated 17 City 23 Highway, but in REALITY only gets 11mpg to 12 mpg. Even our brothers 2000 Izuzu Trooper with a 3.5L V6 and gutless NO POWER is only getting 12mpg to 14mpg average and neither of them are in 4WD.

HOWEVER, I am curious to know if anyone else who has owned a V10 TDI for awhile out there feels the same way I do.

I'm not impressed. It's not that much more powerful than our 2013 V6 TDI with 238,000 miles on it. V10 sounds like a lot of mechanical noise going on inside which gives me the impression it's turning a higher RPM than it actually is, confirmed when I look down at the tach & it's only turning 1800rpm but sounds like it's turning 4000rpm. Just feels that way, especially Compared to our newer era silk smooth quiet 3.0L V6 TDI's.

V10 does not put out as much power per cylinder or liter compared to 3.0L V6. IF the V10 were not so heavy, expensive, rare, and dirty (smokes and although it's not loud at all, but in comparison to 3.0L V6's, well lets just say there is no doubt it's a diesel, not nearly as quiet, smooth & refined as 3.0L V6 TDI.

I'm more impressed with the same 3.0L TDI in our AUDI Q5's, especially our 2014 is tuned & deleted, quiet, smooth no smoke at all, no smells or leaks at all and it's REALLY FAST and FUN. 490ftlbs of torque and the car only weighs 4500lbs.

Just not that impressed with the V10, but we do own one just because, it's not for sale, and to be fair it is 2002 Technology, it's really not all that impressive today, lots of hype is exaggerated more than the actual reality. I have more love for the V6 TDI's now. Our 2014 Q5 just turned over 201,000 miles, and our black Lifted 2013 Touareg just turned over 239,000 HARD Heavy Trailer Towing miles.

Never had problems with any of them yet, except a new Alternator for the 2013 @ 225,000 miles.

It would be interesting to race the Touareg V10 and our Tuned Q5. That Q5 pushes my eyeballs back when I accelerate hard, seems like even more than the V10 Touareg, at least it feels that way.

I'm going to respond to two parts to your post

1 - you say you're not impressed with the v10. Think back to 2002 when the v10 was first released. Think hard when I ask you to think of another manufacturer that had a 5.0 v10 twin turbo diesel available that gave your mid size SUV a nearly 8k lb tow capacity.

2 - I've raced what I believe to be a stock v10 once. I think all I had at the time was emissions compliant tuning. I absolutely demolished him. Put a few bus lengths on him by 70.

As an aside, the v10 was cutting edge technology at the time, nothing could touch it.. but diesel refinement has made huge steps, year after year, the past two decades. Unit injection drives far differently than the amazing common rail injection in our 3.0 TDI. They're louder, turn lower rpm, clunkier, etc

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You can't expect a 17 year old truck to preform like a new car. The new ones are going to be more impressive, It's just the feel of the T1 that people are after. But at the end of the day it's still older.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Get a custom tune done on it, then you will be much more impressed. When I bought my 08, it was slow compared to my 04. But now both of them have custom Malone tunes, and they are not lacking in power at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was impressed back in 2004, but they were way too expensive.

10 years later, 2nd gen V6 TDI with an inexpensive Stage 2 tune has almost as much power, is much lighter, quieter, smoother, AND can get 35MPG even with Full time 4WD and easily pulls an 8000lb trailer.

And best of all, they're reliable, never any problems with ANY of our V6 TDI's. (Not to be confused with the 1st gen V6 TDI timing chain tensioner problems etc.)

The perfect Touareg for me and a lot of others was never available in this country, that would be exactly what I am looking for now, but with Low Range, the rear locker, and the newer gen V6 TDI.

I could get that in a Porsche Cayenne, but I just can't get past how UGLY they are.

V10 is now 20yr old technology. It WAS impressive back then, but it's a novelty now IMO.

It is still FAST and Powerful, but it's expected to be, 5.0L V10 for Christ sakes. Even the 2nd Gen V6 TDI is now old technology, but it's most likely the newest diesel technology your going to see in North America ever again.

No other diesel engine available to North America is as quiet and smooth as that V6 TDI, no other SUV is able to pull an 8000LB + trailer and get 20mpg doing it, and 32+MPG Highway and doing all this for years lifted with oversized tires and 238,000 miles with no major problems yet to date. That is impressive.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts