Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse on this issue.

Just purchased my '04 Treg, with all the bells and whistles, including the bi-xenon auto leveling lights. I was super excited until I turned them on. I feel like my 3 year old son's light on his train bed is brighter. They're definitely HID, just dull. I've been reading through, several have suggested polishing the headlight lenses, which I'm working on, others have suggested adjustments to the lights themselves including adjusting the level when the cutoff happens on the lenses, which I have no idea how to do. I guess, my question is, what did others do? I'm always a firm believer to try to do the easiest first. I'd hate to spend $70+ on new bulbs, so what ideas do you have?

The friggen fog lights are brighter!

Thanks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
HIDs DO lose brightness the more they are used. I would suggest installing some new ones and see what results you get. As you also noted, be sure the lenses are clear, but usually they don't impede too much light transmission unless they are horribly faded.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're pretty clouded. But, I have a question. If I were to replace the lights, do i replace the ballasts too?

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Just replace the bulbs. hID bulbs are good for about 4 years, then they start to turn pink and then eventually are dimmer than a night light. Not any more difficult than replacing a conventional halogen bulb, just follow some of the bulb change procedures on here as the 2004 has a bit of a trick to removing the headlamp housings to give you access to the bulbs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I installed HID's on my '03 acura mdx. But that included splicing and adding ballasts. That's great!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Here is what I have noticed.

New HID bulbs. Turning on the fog lights give a little bit a fill-in, but the "brightness" does not go up.

Old HID bulbs. Turning on the fog lights give a good fill in and the "brightness" goes up a lot!

So yes, the HID lights do dim quite drastically over a period of 4 to 5 years.

Darn bulbs are expensive and the cheap Ebay ones are more trouble then they are worth. Be sure to buy the real bulbs from a authorized distributor. Still many fake bulbs out there that will often not last a full 12 months.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The set I got for the acura were from theretrofitsource.com little more expensive, but I never had issues. Does anybody know off hand the bulb size?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the upgrade. The bulbs were actually aftermarket garbage ebay bulbs, 8k, and crap. I replaced them with quality 6k ones, and polished up the covers. Literally a night and day difference.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Yeech! 8k bulbs are indeed crap. Good job not going back with those.

Looks like your hid bulbs are now brighter then the fog lights. ;)

The before picture would have been the opposite.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeech! 8k bulbs are indeed crap. Good job not going back with those.

Looks like your hid bulbs are now brighter then the fog lights. ;)

The before picture would have been the opposite.
Yeah, i was pretty upset when I saw the 8k bulbs. I should have taken a before and after, but I was so concerned with making the swap lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What about LED conversion? I found this website that seems promising. I don't know how 35 watt LED headlights would compare to our HIDs but the kit is a little over $100 for our HID equipped Tregs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure. I'm curious. It's in a projector housing, so I don't know how well that would work with an LED.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's what I was wondering too. Supposedly this kit comes with everything and is meant to work with it. I thought maybe they were meant for the touaregs with halogens but they had a special designation for the touareg with HIDs.

I am curious though. Especially since the whole kit is only about $150

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Try it and let us know how you get on . . .

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do want to try it, but just feeling out whether anyone else has done it first ;)

Besides, I'd want to do a comparison and right now my HIDs seem kind of dim. I can't afford to get new bulbs AND do a conversion. Christmas has already got me low on funds. But if I decide to in a few months, I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, i just replaced my bulbs, so it'll be awhile until I get something else.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm in the market for a set of D1S bulbs. I noticed that the ones one my 2004 touareg are ok when powered on but do start fading after a few minutes. So yes I guess I need a new set. I'm probably going for an Osram set but would like to see if the Led kit is a viable option. Any updates on this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts