Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, today my horn stopped working. I have a 2008 Touareg 3.0 TDI. I checked the fuses which looked okay, although I am not sure I checked the right ones. Anyone got a fuse schematic for this model? I have also read it could be a problem with the horn itself, apparently taking off the front bumper and spraying some WD40 up the horn and waiting a day before laying on it again is a possible fix. Another possibility is the ground and connecting wires from the battery have come lose. Am I missing something here? My access to good tools to remove the front bumper is somewhat limited. I’m really hoping its just a fuse but I dont know which one.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Use a meter to see if you're getting signal to the horn... if not, start looking at fuses and wiring.
If you do get a signal, then the WD-40 approach can be entertained.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use a meter to see if you're getting signal to the horn... if not, start looking at fuses and wiring.
If you do get a signal, then the WD-40 approach can be entertained.
I have one of those screwdrivers that lights up if i touch something to show signal. I assume I would need to take off the front bumper and find the wires from the battery to the horn to test this?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Before you do anything else try the WD40 fix. It costs nothing!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Do you know what the horn looks like?
Do you know what are you should be looking in for it?
Do you understand what it would take for the horn to function?
You need some basic knowledge before you can fix something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know what the horn looks like?
Do you know what are you should be looking in for it?
Do you understand what it would take for the horn to function?
You need some basic knowledge before you can fix something.
I do know what it looks like. I also know I have to take off the front bumper to get to it. I do not know however the engineering mechanics of how a horn works. I was hoping to spray some WD40 up in the trumpet and hope for the best.

·
Registered
614 Posts
For one, there are actually two horns: a high and a low pitched one. If you've no horn at all, that means that the second one has also failed.

The horns are known to die after a while. So, even though of course check fuses and such, but it will be most likely the actual horn that has died on you. You can try to get it back to life with WD40, but don't get up your hopes up on that.

You also can't take the horn apart without destroying the housing - so, even if you would be able to repair it by taking it apart, it will most likely die on you in a short time afterwards, because of the housing not sealing properly anymore.

The workshop manual says to remove the bumper first to replace the horns, but you can replace them without that (thanks to the holder arms), if you have small enough tools and hands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For one, there are actually two horns: a high and a low pitched one. If you've no horn at all, that means that the second one has also failed.

The horns are known to die after a while. So, even though of course check fuses and such, but it will be most likely the actual horn that has died on you. You can try to get it back to life with WD40, but don't get up your hopes up on that.

You also can't take the horn apart without destroying the housing - so, even if you would be able to repair it by taking it apart, it will most likely die on you in a short time afterwards, because of the housing not sealing properly anymore.

The workshop manual says to remove the bumper first to replace the horns, but you can replace them without that (thanks to the holder arms), if you have small enough tools and hands.
Yeah I found the horn on the drivers side. I can reach in through the VW emblem once its removed and touch it pretty easily. I’m going try and spray some WD40 or penatrating oil from there.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
From previous posts on Touareg fuse boxes there is evidence that fuse locations can vary even on the same model and same year so don't be surprised if the fuse isn't exactly where it "should" be!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hook up a new or strong battery and try the horn. My horn stopped and then I got a new battery and it started working again. I think a number of systems on the Touraeg are voltage sensitive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts