Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just bought a 2004 V6 from a friend of mine. So far this car is definitely a winner. I was googling my issue, and came across this site. I didn't know there was such a following for this car that was large enough for a site dedicated to it. Happy its here, and I can't wait to read past posts. So my issue is as you can see from the title the horn doesn't seem to work. I thought it could be a fuse issue, but wouldn't other devices on the car not function as well if a fuse was blown? So that's the only issue I can see with this car that I've run across. Anyone out there had a similar issue, and have any tips?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. The horn seems to only work when it wants to. Lol but every now n than I see the fuse is blown. I've seen other ppl with this problem and they replace the horns all together with non oem horns. I will be doing the same in the spring. My mechanic believes it's a grounding issue since it works every now and than.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the reply RjDeeble. I've been waiting for a nice day to take a look at horn/fuse. It was a beautiful day today, but didn't have much for spare time. I've googled this and it seems to be either horn and/or fuses. I found a how to here on this site about accessing the horn. So I think I'll snag a multimeter if the fuse is good, and check the leads to the horn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know if you pop the hood and remove the grill on the right and left you can remove a panel and access the wires to the horn to unhook them and possibly unbolt them from the frame. Other ppl take the front bumper right off. Best of luck bc I know I miss my horn

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Squirt some WD40 or similar up the trumpets.

Leave for 24 hours.

Then go someplace where you won't be a nuisance and lean on the horn button long and hard.

With a bit of luck there will be a squeak, then a squawk, and finally full volume.

It worked for me and it has worked for others.

But do have a good bout of road rage once a week thereafter to kep your horn tuned!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squirt some WD40 or similar up the trumpets.

Leave for 24 hours.

Then go someplace where you won't be a nuisance and lean on the horn button long and hard.

With a bit of luck there will be a squeak, then a squawk, and finally full volume.

It worked for me and it has worked for others.
I think I saw you post this elsewhere, it actually works? Sounds like a genius idea, and I think I'll give it a try if the fuse is good.
But do have a good bout of road rage once a week thereafter to kep your horn tuned!
This is why I want to get the horn working again. I use it way to often on my commute to work. I guess people around here feel it's ok to pull out in front of others on a daily basis

·
Registered
841 Posts
Years ago I lost my horn during a bout of rage. After the dealership replaced both horns it still did not work. They eventually replaced the whatever where the steering wheel meets the steering column and the horn worked again. All covered under warranty. I think it would be quite expensive done out of warranty.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Years ago I lost my horn during a bout of rage. After the dealership replaced both horns it still did not work. They eventually replaced the whatever where the steering wheel meets the steering column and the horn worked again. All covered under warranty. I think it would be quite expensive done out of warranty.
Sounds like the clock spring. You sometimes also get an airbag warning light and/or will lose your steering wheel controls when the clock spring fails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.