Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not run these for more than 10 min so we will see how they perform in the coming days.

I needed to clean my MAFs and filters so I thought it would be a good time to test my dual cone intakes. I cannot stomach paying $100s of dollars and try to fit the cayenne turbo filters so i put some together.

Parts:

2 Dry filter cones (4inch)
2 90 degree silicone hoses (4 inch)
4inch aluminum coupler that i cut in half
6 4inch hose clamps (i plan to get better ones if this works)
2 generic cone shrouds with fake titanium burn (a little ricer but function...)

I also ordered a 1 inch valve cover filter to attach to the air suspension hose (?) that went into the passenger air box.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 V10 Tdi Treg , 2012 V8 Tdi Treg, 2008 V10 FSi S6 Audi , 2012 1.4TSi Golf , 1989 Mazda 323 1.3
34 Posts
Looks great ! hows the crankcase ventilation thing going ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Intakes are going great. I added a 25mm valve cover filter from Amazon. It for perfectly on the air suspension hose that went into the passenger air box.

Egg seems to pull fine. Sound of turbo spilling is louder and you can now hear the air suspension deflate. Sorry I do not have any Dyno numbers for intake temperatures numbers to compare with stock setup.

It seems to breath better and is lot easier to work on and access filters and lights etc.

I know some people will argue that you are sucking in hot air and that is losing performance but I have been through this whole debate with my 335i. The air coming from the intakes is going into it and extremely hot turbo so I'm not sure it makes a ton of difference. For now I'm going to leave them on because they sound good they feel good and it makes it easier to work on.

Plus there is still the opening that gets air from the front of the car right below them that used to connect to the box. I could do a little elbow angling that air directly into my filters.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think with the filter tucked into the fender well like that, you will be in good shape. It's the people that have their filters sitting right on top of their exhaust manifold that catch the most heat, literally!!

If you got the hoses from siliconeintakes.com... I think they offer lines that could replace your CCV setup, too. Just order like 10ft of 1" line, or whatever your diameter is, and call it a day. It will make it all look real clean N sexy.

GREAT JOB!!

Oh how I miss the sound of a spooling turbo... :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd venture that the best place to get cold air is from in front of the radiator... where the factory airboxes draw from. The whole engine compartment seems to get quite hot on the V10.

-J

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd venture that the best place to get cold air is from in front of the radiator... where the factory airboxes draw from. The whole engine compartment seems to get quite hot on the V10.

-J

Auto part Metal Steel Wheel Pipe

In the pic you can see the stock air inlet (H the bottom). I might try to direct that to the filter. I have seen pics with the bumper off and that inlet is also angled up in the front. Probably to stop water coming in.

The ultimate would be to pop out the headlights... Will save that for the drag strip ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
You have to remember... in a turbocharged application, the air is heated up just by compressing it. Thats why it's run through an intercooler. So the engine bay heat really won't affect much in the V10.

If it really is a concern, you could always add some meth injection to drop the IATs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to remember... in a turbocharged application, the air is heated up just by compressing it. Thats why it's run through an intercooler. So the engine bay heat really won't affect much in the V10.

If it really is a concern, you could always add some meth injection to drop the IATs.
Haha. Now your talkin'! I ran meth and sometimes e85 blend in my 335i. Made a big difference especially in hot California.

Of course I have to remember this is mainly my wife's ride.... She love the egg but hates CELs or seeing me dicking around "making it better" . the intakes just passed the test but I did get a text asking if the wooshing sound is normal.
'the whoosh is the sound of power!' was met with an eye roll not a high five....

I have a stage 3 mkv Gti with air ride for tinkering....;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well damn... you're in California. Under that regime, you can't put on the wrong windshield wipers without failing an inspection.

I'm in Arizona. I ran meth in my twin K04 S4 and my GT28RS 2.0t A4. Its a must with our hot summers. But, no cats in either and always pass emmessions tests. YEAH!!!

I get similar eye rolls from my wife. I get the, "I thought you got the Touareg because you said you weren't goin to mess with it..."

Ooops!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Of course I have to remember this is mainly my wife's ride.... She love the egg but hates CELs or seeing me dicking around "making it better" .
I hate to dump on people's threads... but I think you're going to have to qualify "better" here ;) If your goal in this project was MAF longevity, filtration quality, least restriction, or coldest air intake I'd say you took a step backwards.

Some light reading:
"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ - TDIClub Forums

VW sized the stock filters appropriately. This isn't a 90s Chrysler product.

And yes, intake air temp matters on a turbo car. Yes, the turbo heats the air when it compresses it. But it only adds heat. Start with a lower temp and you'll end with a lower temp. I monitor intake air temps on our TDIs. The V10's system is amazingly efficient... the post intercooler temps are almost ambient! On the 99.5 they're usually 20*F above ambient.

-J

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
They used to use a cold water spray on the inlet for SAAB turbos. From memory it was a very simple set up. You pressed a tit for a 5 or 10 second "burn"" and it produced a VERY health BHP lift!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
They used to use a cold water spray on the inlet for SAAB turbos. From memory it was a very simple set up. You pressed a tit for a 5 or 10 second "burn"" and it produced a VERY health BHP lift!
A lot of turbodiesel LandCruiser owners ran water injection systems for more power. But these were more simple mechanically controlled engines. Mine had one wire to the fuel cut solenoid. No electronic sensors at all.

Some WRX's came from the factory with water injection systems.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Totally agree with you compu_85. This debate rages on in many turbo forums. Open cones vs sealed airbox. I do not have the means to dyno before and after - even if i did, I am sure someone would point out that it does not account for "real world" air flow at speed.

I guess the trade off is air temperature vs air volume and adding more air outweigh the added temperature.

Last year while towing my 25ft travel trailer up steep hills in the summer I got a CEL several times. It was always when the car downshifted to go up a steep grade in 100degree weather at high altitudes. It would boost up to power up the hill and throw a CEL. I can't remember exactly but something about boost target....

MY theory I am trying to test is that my Malone Stage 1 was requesting more boost and the less dense, hot air was not enough to sustain a good AFR.

I wanted to see if it happens again this summer if I allow it to suck in more air (albeit still hot). I realize I am theorizing without collecting actual data.

could log intake temps or air volume before and after with the vagcom(trying to controlling all other variables)? I think my torque android app can as well.

I hate to dump on people's threads... but I think you're going to have to qualify "better" here ;) If your goal in this project was MAF longevity, filtration quality, least restriction, or coldest air intake I'd say you took a step backwards.

Some light reading:
"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ - TDIClub Forums

VW sized the stock filters appropriately. This isn't a 90s Chrysler product.

And yes, intake air temp matters on a turbo car. Yes, the turbo heats the air when it compresses it. But it only adds heat. Start with a lower temp and you'll end with a lower temp. I monitor intake air temps on our TDIs. The V10's system is amazingly efficient... the post intercooler temps are almost ambient! On the 99.5 they're usually 20*F above ambient.

-J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts