Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2004 V8
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,
After doing some research, I've decided to add what some call CAI to my Egg.
The jury is still out on performance results, but I hope it'll work ok.
If it fails to deliver, the valuable lesson will be learned, and I will revert it to the OE setup.
But I didn't like the price, subjectively.

On top of that, I wasn't able to find the silicone adapter/reducer size from a member who had done the conversion using the EvoMotors CAI kit for V8 Cayenne.
My conversion consists of 2 cone filters SPE-8168, two aluminium 4inch pipe connectors from Amazon, and two 2.75" to 4" silicone 90° elbow reducers made by "JDM" from eBay.
I've also made a custom plate to house the cone filter (I will not fabricate another set, do not ask) from 3mm thermoplastic.
All was secured using speed nuts and metric hardware, and a rivet or two.
Here are some pictures I've taken during the conversion.
Filters and connectors. I might upgrade filters to AEM dryflowin the future.
Panels pre-fitted.
The RH side is assembled.
LH side is assembled.
The conversion is almost completed.

I've yet to fit a breather filter on the air pump.

Cheers...

· Registered
2004 V8
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Where's the "cold" air coming from?
Are you aware that MAFs really hate the filter oil that's used on those types of performance filters?
Are you attempting to gain something other than intake noise, or just doing it for fun\noise?
Mainly for fun.
I am aware of CAI is a placebo effect at most, and is sometimes even detrimental to engine performance. But we do it anyways, much like everything else.
No oil at all.
The air is coming from grille intakes and openings at the bottom of the fender liner. I have had average IAT readings recorded before this mod. I'll run and then compare new numbers with the old to assess the benefits and drawbacks of this so-called CAI.
This is a preamble to a tentative snorkel mod. If this works, I'll be able to utilize a different filter design to incorporate air ducting to be able to install a dual snorkel akin darksidedevelopments.co.uk V10 snorkel kit.

Cheers...

· Registered
2004 V8
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The filters I used are designed, according to the manufacturer, to filter incoming air with 99% efficiency.

I am not sure where you coming from with "rock strainers".

Cheers...

· Registered
2004 V8
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The subjective preliminary finding of my intake mod.
At hot idle, IAT is ~5°C higher than with OE airboxes.
At cruise, IAT is ~3-4°C cooler than with OE airboxes.
I can't hear noise due to the cab being well-insulated. With an open window, there is some induction noise, however, it is overwhelmed by OE exhaust note upon strong acceleration.
>The Egg "feels" a bit less eager to get up and go with this intake mod.
However, I haven't driven it for a couple of weeks, and after driving pavement-scraping Jetta, the Egg feels a tad unwieldy, howbeit, more imposing.
MPG, it is a bit premature to say.
However, since MAF and fuel pump repair, transmission shifts with a constant rhythm unlike a temperamental child before. Gone is occasional floating idle, which sometimes is a sign of a vacuum leak (tight as a submarine) but it was attributed to fuel pump demise and marginal G70 MAF which was still under the threshold of setting a fault code.

Cheers...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts