Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2004 V8
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,
After doing some research, I've decided to add what some call CAI to my Egg.
The jury is still out on performance results, but I hope it'll work ok.
If it fails to deliver, the valuable lesson will be learned, and I will revert it to the OE setup.
But I didn't like the price, subjectively.

On top of that, I wasn't able to find the silicone adapter/reducer size from a member who had done the conversion using the EvoMotors CAI kit for V8 Cayenne.
My conversion consists of 2 cone filters SPE-8168, two aluminium 4inch pipe connectors from Amazon, and two 2.75" to 4" silicone 90° elbow reducers made by "JDM" from eBay.
I've also made a custom plate to house the cone filter (I will not fabricate another set, do not ask) from 3mm thermoplastic.
All was secured using speed nuts and metric hardware, and a rivet or two.
Here are some pictures I've taken during the conversion.
Filters and connectors. I might upgrade filters to AEM dryflowin the future.
Panels pre-fitted.
The RH side is assembled.
LH side is assembled.
The conversion is almost completed.

I've yet to fit a breather filter on the air pump.

Cheers...

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
Where's the "cold" air coming from?
Are you aware that MAFs really hate the filter oil that's used on those types of performance filters?
Are you attempting to gain something other than intake noise, or just doing it for fun\noise?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hate rock strainers, they kill MAFs and also let way more fine dust into the engine. It's a lose- lose situation. If you really want more sound, a round paper element will give you the sound you want with the protection the engine needs. But you'll still end up with more heat than normal. And fitment is still an issue

·
Registered
2004 V8
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Where's the "cold" air coming from?
Are you aware that MAFs really hate the filter oil that's used on those types of performance filters?
Are you attempting to gain something other than intake noise, or just doing it for fun\noise?
Mainly for fun.
I am aware of CAI is a placebo effect at most, and is sometimes even detrimental to engine performance. But we do it anyways, much like everything else.
No oil at all.
The air is coming from grille intakes and openings at the bottom of the fender liner. I have had average IAT readings recorded before this mod. I'll run and then compare new numbers with the old to assess the benefits and drawbacks of this so-called CAI.
This is a preamble to a tentative snorkel mod. If this works, I'll be able to utilize a different filter design to incorporate air ducting to be able to install a dual snorkel akin darksidedevelopments.co.uk V10 snorkel kit.

Cheers...

·
Registered
06 V8
117 Posts
The factory airboxes are "cold air intakes". Follow the intake ducts and you'll find they pull air from behind the bumper. All the cold air you'd ever want

Reactions: PRY4SNO

·
Registered
83 Posts
Would you elaborate on this pls?
To increase the flow claimed by most CAI they make the micron size of the media larger which in turn allows way more dirt into the engine.

The term "Rock strainers" comes from the mechanic industry where some people run basically open inlets with guards over them to stop large debris entering but no filter media.
that's if you weren't being sarcastic....

I have run cones in the past and have learned first hand the drawbacks. Been there, got the shirt, learned from it

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
Unlike K&N, this filter was sealed and NOT pre-oiled when I opened the box.

I am not sure why Spectre would include "oiled" in the specs.

Don't believe everything on the intraweb. (y)
Ok, I'm only reading.... I've never used them myself.
Will keep watching

Spectre Performance hpR Air Filters

Replacing your stock filter with one of these Spectre Performance hpR air filters will result in real power gains. The filter material allows air to flow easily to the engine, resulting in better combustion and a more efficient use of fuel. They're tested using ISO 5011 standards and are proven to filter 99.6 percent of contaminant particles. The pre-oiled Spectre hpR filters are available in a wide variety of styles and sizes for both universal and vehicle-specific applications.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Mainly for fun.
I am aware of CAI is a placebo effect at most, and is sometimes even detrimental to engine performance. But we do it anyways, much like everything else.
No oil at all.
The air is coming from grille intakes and openings at the bottom of the fender liner. I have had average IAT readings recorded before this mod. I'll run and then compare new numbers with the old to assess the benefits and drawbacks of this so-called CAI.
This is a preamble to a tentative snorkel mod. If this works, I'll be able to utilize a different filter design to incorporate air ducting to be able to install a dual snorkel akin darksidedevelopments.co.uk V10 snorkel kit.

Cheers...
Let us know sounds gains

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts