Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Reese Valley, central Nevada, on the return trip. Some 10,000 foot mountains in the background.

Ahhh, yes!!! Somewhere in Colorado after a refuel.

Long time member with an '04 V6 3.2 with air suspension.

I've been looking a LONG time for an affordable 2010 V6 TDI with air suspension and finally found one at Emich VW in Denver. There was a lot of interest in the vehicle (long story about that!) but my timing was excellent and I secured it with a deposit, drove from Reno to Denver with my trade-in on Thursday, completed the transaction Friday by noon and drove back to Reno Friday and Saturday.

Over the 1,000 mile return trip I averaged 24 mpg going 80-85 mph on I-70, over Loveland Pass (or next to Loveland Pass), through the Eisenhower Tunnel, across Colorado, Utah and Nevada. It was a LONG trip.

The prior owner was a guy from Florida who kept the car at his place in Telluride. He demanded a (any) dealership buy it back because of the recent VW emissions news. Emich made the deal and his loss is my gain!

I'm obviously impressed with the T2 compared to my T1 and the TDI is exceptional, plenty of power and smooth and quiet!

It will be going off-road once I swap the skid plates and wheels/tires off my '04. I've got a set of 2007 18" wheels and some BFG A/T 10 ply tires.

It's taken years to get an understanding of these vehicles and this site has been the prime contributor to that knowledge. I was originally VERY hesitant to do anything to my '04 (bought used) but have gained enough experience and confidence I feel very comfortable working on them. This TDI will become an even more exceptional vehicle.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Congrats. Low miles and it looks perfect. Great find!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great find, any idea what the dealer paid for it? Or if you don't mind what it cost you?
They wouldn't tell me what they paid but I'd guess $23-$25k, they asked $30 and that's what I paid. They held the car for 4 days with my deposit and I was very appreciative they did so.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks now i'm really jealous i just spent almost 30 for a new outback for my wife. Must be one of the lowest miles T2 left and with AIR Bow Down

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
That low of mile keep on eye on the water pump. Eventually you will need to replace it. Seal will go bad at some point. Most were done under warranty. You may want to have the VIN ran to see if it was done already.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Potential water pump repair

Yeti, I had my Reno VW dealer run the VIN for all warranty repair and the water pump was already done. I'm going to get a printout to keep in my files. Didn't know it was a common problem but it is fixed.

I drove through Salt Lake on my way to Denver, it felt like I was in L.A.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks now i'm really jealous i just spent almost 30 for a new outback for my wife. Must be one of the lowest miles T2 left and with AIR Bow Down
Believe me, I know what a find it was. When I made my initial phone call a guy had just test driven it and went to lunch "to think about it". When he came back he said he wanted it and of course I had already made my deposit. Timing is everything! Had I called an hour later it would have been gone.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Magnificent looking unit.. You must be a member of a very small club in the US, being a T2 TDI with Air Suspension...By the look of it you also have the RNS510 SatNav, and addition to that the Firmware Fix for the MFD has been applied as your Outside Temp display is in the Top Left. The originals had it in the lower right..

Excellent purchase..

Stuart...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Welcome to the "end of the originals" club! Over the 30 years of new car ownership, the Touareg TDI ranks #1 in overall utility, convenience, hauling, efficiency, value, and fun-to-drive factors.

Glad to hear the water pump was replaced. Buy an extended warranty - or store away $2000 - for the inevitable AdBlue pump and related sensor failure. I've also eaten two battery's in 5 years, due to lazy parking garage attendants. Other than that its been rock solid and its a keeper.

Congrats again...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Magnificent looking unit.. You must be a member of a very small club in the US, being a T2 TDI with Air Suspension...By the look of it you also have the RNS510 SatNav, and addition to that the Firmware Fix for the MFD has been applied as your Outside Temp display is in the Top Left. The originals had it in the lower right..

Excellent purchase..

Stuart...
Good to know on the Firmware Fix. It does have the RNS510 SatNav, plus leather seats and a few other extras. I appreciate what you Aussie's, as a group of TReg owners, have done for this forum with your off-road and general maintenance mods. Also, one of my favorite posts on this site is this Bush Mechanic video, post #334: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/drive-shaft-bearing-failure-49135-34.html
You've got a great attitude down under.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
End of the originals.

Welcome to the "end of the originals" club! Over the 30 years of new car ownership, the Touareg TDI ranks #1 in overall utility, convenience, hauling, efficiency, value, and fun-to-drive factors.

Glad to hear the water pump was replaced. Buy an extended warranty - or store away $2000 - for the inevitable AdBlue pump and related sensor failure. I've also eaten two battery's in 5 years, due to lazy parking garage attendants. Other than that its been rock solid and its a keeper.

Congrats again...
Hence the reason I grabbed this one!

I did get a 100,000 mile warranty which is added onto the 19,000 existing miles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That was also CPO wasn't it? I actually saw it I believe the day the ad hit Autotrader and the dealer's site but the timing just wasn't right for us. Your story also explains why they never posted additional pictures. Glad someone here, who knows what they got, acted on it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was also CPO wasn't it? I actually saw it I believe the day the ad hit Autotrader and the dealer's site but the timing just wasn't right for us. Your story also explains why they never posted additional pictures. Glad someone here, who knows what they got, acted on it. Enjoy!
I agree, this one needed to go to someone who knows what it is. The prior owner didn't really know what he had.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yeti, I had my Reno VW dealer run the VIN for all warranty repair and the water pump was already done. I'm going to get a printout to keep in my files. Didn't know it was a common problem but it is fixed.
The water pump seal was a liquid one laid out by a computer. It wasn't quite doing the full 360 degrees thus leaving a weak point at the join so a lot of 2010 T2 owners would suddenly find their coolant pouring out, usually, if I recall aright, when the car was parked after a run and the engine was cooling down and thus contracting.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hence the reason I grabbed this one!

I did get a 100,000 mile warranty which is added onto the 19,000 existing miles.
Well done, nice find, hope you have a lot of fun in your unicorn ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wish me luck...I'm negotiating on a sister truck to yours -- '10, black/cream, Nav/Park, Dynaudio, 4Cair. A few more miles...working on the details now. May pick it up as early as Friday...keep your fingers crossed for me!

More details tomorrow...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You'll get it! Anxious to see some photos.

Where are you located? The US is a big place!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts