Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two full days, service calls to tell me the hitch was finally installed and I could pick up the vehicle. I arrive, find the Touareg sitting in the lot. walk around the back to look at the hitch and you guessed it- two broken taillights. First denial, then Gee its funny nobody noticed it. When asked, the service manager stated he wasn't aware of the difficulty in removing the assembly. I stated its common knowledge available on the various enthusiast websites and it would be worth his time to check them out once in a while. I dont think the comment was appreciated. So now a lengthy wait and 5 hour round trip to get the parts replaced

· Registered
113 Posts
It is not in the best interest of the dealer to treat it's customers in this way. I had my hitch ( Curt/ Uhaul) installed at UHaul, and the instructions I left him for the lights made him so nervous I did it myself!
I would contact the service manager, and ask for the contact info for the VW regional rep. That person works for VW, not the dealers, and the sole request for this info may spur change in your reception alone.
Good luck in the future.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hitch Installation

I had hitch installed with no problems, but some time later I noticed condensation inside of the rear passenger side light assembly. Did not put two and two together until I read this post. They may have damaged the light assembly during installation of the hitch, I don't know. Nevertheless, they are replacing my light assembly as I write this, when I showed them the condensation in the taillight they immediately ordered it for me.

· Registered
39 Posts
I had my hitch put on by Gunther Volkswagen in Coconut Creek Florida without any problems what so ever. They did an excellent job and new exactly what to do with the programming.

I do understand though that there are many VW dealers around the country who should get special training on the Touareg but are not Touareg certified. I think this would cause the problems that you have been referring to. I am very impressed with Gunther. when a Touareg comes in for service, the service ticket is stamped "Touareg" and only certain trained service tech work on these vehicles. If I understand correctly, they dont work on them unless they have been technically trained for the Touareg.

Good luck with your problems. I hope you have fast resolution

George

· Registered
2 Posts
Hitch Install

Has anyone with a Curt hitch come up with a way to wire lights and brakes for a trailer? My dealer found a Curt hitch for me and installed it. However, the dealer did not have a wiring harness as the say they are not available from either an after market supplier, or from VW. VW will only sell the wiring harness with their hitch. What are those of you with an after market hitch using?

· Registered
28 Posts
hitch install

My dealer was well aware of the difficulty in removing the tail lights. When they ordered my hitch they also ordered 2 extra tail lights just in case. Everything appears to have went well with the exception of a small nick in the paint under one of the tail lights, (the dealer is going to fix). I recently went to Camping World and purchased the 7 to 4 adapter and an extension for the flat pig tail. I am ready to try the towing ability now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.