Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some inspiration from this forum, i locked myself in the workshop for a day with a pile of scrap metal i had waiting for the right project and made this.

It hinges away, holds the wheel as well as a spade/shovel clamped on one side plus a farm jack clamped on the other (not attached currently). The top rear hatch window clears the tire and it has a number plate mount as per the laws here in NZ. It weighs a total of 38kg's with that tire attached and fits into my 50x50mm hitch receiver box. I also made a stabilization setup to stop any hitch wobble which seems to plague 50x50mm hitch receivers. The spade D handle makes a very useful grip for lowering and raising the whole thing.

The plan is it now get a larger set of off road tires on my second set of rims and be able to carry the full sized spare!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very nice. Is the spade mount bolted in order to squeeze the spade? Hard to tell in the pic.
What did you do to stabilize it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, bolted through on that picture, although i now realize that's the older version, I now have hand tightened bolts with a safety pin. It clamps onto the spade and it can't fall out even if loose. Also in that pic i don't have the farm jack (hi lift jack) mount even attached yet.

The stabilization is a plate welded to the hinged mount, with two eye bolts that lock and tighten onto the hitch pin. It basically pulls the mounted item INTO the the 50x50mm receiver, super tight and absolutely no wobble.

I'm going to design the same thing for the standard tow hitch too.
I know there are "locking" mechanisms available elsewhere in the world for tow hitches, but i wouldn't find anything in NZ that locked the mounted equipment and used the 19mm pins we use here.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Nice DIY. Well done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts