Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 FSI V8.

Going with a 10000# rated ball mount for a little extra cushion.

It's 9 3/8 from pin to center of ball. 2in drop, 1in rise.

I seem to remember the sticker on the receiver of my Touareg gives a maximum of a little over 6in.

Will this hitch work?

Thanks - Bill

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Are you asking if 9-3/8 is less than 6 ?
Define "work"!
Yes it will fit the receiver....
Yes it will increase the moment on your receiver......
Ideally, you want it as close as possible to the vehicle to minimize that moment.....

Why are you wanting the extra cushion? Are you towing close to the max?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you asking if 9-3/8 is less than 6 ?
Define "work"!
Yes it will fit the receiver....
Yes it will increase the moment on your receiver......
Ideally, you want it as close as possible to the vehicle to minimize that moment.....

Why are you wanting the extra cushion? Are you towing close to the max?
Just trying to get some real world experience for what people are using. A 7500# hitch in a 7700# receiver, doesn't make sense to me if you can go higher. Regardless of what your towing.

After some more research I have been able to get it down to 7in on an 8000#. 1in rise, 2in drop.

I have not seen a 6in on even a 7500# hitch. I think manufacturers are factoring in possible bumper clearance issues on most pick-ups.

If someone can point me to something within those specs, please do.

- Bill

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Most of us max out the rated TW long before we get to the 7700# rating because N/A trailers are typically nose heavy......
If you're pulling something custom that's "balanced" better over the axles, sure step it up to 10k or whatever.
I"ll have to look at mine again, but I believe I'm close to your last listing.... 3/4 rise, 2 drop....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of us max out the rated TW long before we get to the 7700# rating because N/A trailers are typically nose heavy......
If you're pulling something custom that's "balanced" better over the axles, sure step it up to 10k or whatever.
I"ll have to look at mine again, but I believe I'm close to your last listing.... 3/4 rise, 2 drop....

It's finding something in the 6in length that is proving difficult. (Insert joke here). I can get the 7in, and I would think that should be close enough, unless there is something else out there that someone is using.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
For what it's worth, I just measured mine last night and I'm 10" pin-ball on my Class IV.
So yes, it will work, but it's not ideal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts