Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 2016 Touareg and I love it. I need to pull a small cargo trailer about a total of 2900lbs loaded. The hitch ball set up that the factory calls for is 4 1/2” to low to level my trailer.
I don’t want to hurt my suspension. Is it ok to use a different configuration- a 2” hitch ball on a 3” lift instead of the drop shown in the handbook.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I cannot speak as to whether there is an engineering reason for not using a hitch ball rise, but speaking from my experience, I've towed the full rated 7700# for several thousand miles using a 2" hitch rise. I cannot discern any negative impacts to the vehicle or the dynamics while towing.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
902 Posts
After coupling the trailer, the Touareg rear should sag a bit, and the trailer should be either level, or slightly nose down. You'll need to measure with a tape measure to determine what kind of drop or rise tow bar you need for that trailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot speak as to whether there is an engineering reason for not using a hitch ball rise, but speaking from my experience, I've towed the full rated 7700# for several thousand miles using a 2" hitch rise. I cannot discern any negative impacts to the vehicle or the dynamics while towing.
Thank you,
That’s good enough for me😀!

·
Registered
20 Posts
After coupling the trailer, the Touareg rear should sag a bit, and the trailer should be either level, or slightly nose down. You'll need to measure with a tape measure to determine what kind of drop or rise tow bar you need for that trailer.
Agreed. With my 4000lb camp trailer the drop on the hitch was significant with my standard flush ball. I had to get a six inch rise, which caused less drop and levelled the trailer perfectly. I only have 1000 miles towing, but worked well.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
When pulling my 5k lb boat I use a 2" drop hitch and everything is perfectly level.

Reactions: Antiquetuck

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have all of my balls set to 18 - 19 inches and that works well with my Scamp 16' trailer.
The hitch on the Touareg is a Reese Mini 350

1 - 7 of 7 Posts