Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure so I'll ask. Does the Touareg have hill descent and if so how is it activated? Please, no razzing. It's an honest question and I am not so familiar with the procedure. Thanks for the input.

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,305 Posts
Hill Descent works when you have the transfer case in LOW. I'm not sure if it only works when the transmission is in 'tiptronic' or if it works when in 'D.' I know it worked a few times and then when I was on a hit that was less than a 20% angle - it's lets go, so you need to have your foot near the brake. :shock:

· Registered
2016 Touareg V6/Lux — 2006 Touareg V6 — 2013 Audi allroad
3,305 Posts
And.... one more thing..... EVERY TOUAREG has Hill Descent Control. It's standard equipment.

· Registered
591 Posts
Aircooled and I both have V6's. At the Colorado Touareg Rally last summer, we were both pretty critical about the descending capabilities of the V6. V8's seemed to handle steep descents much better. In 1st gear, the V6 will hold well but only at 2-3 mph. If you touch the accelerator or brake, it can get away from you quickly. We did not like 2nd gear at all.
But, 3rd gear on moderate slopes worked well.

Rick

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
I know that hill decent assist feature has been discussed, but after over a year any MANY miles of four wheeling, I'm still not sure why mine won't work all of the time. Rick had mentioned the difference between the V6 and the V8 when going down a steep hill, but I have have to attribute this difference to engine braking, not the hill assist feature. I have had the hill assist feature work this summer on a DAMN steep hill, probably a 40% grade, but even then it was hit and miss.

All of the information on how it is SUPPOSED to work was already posted by TREGinginCO, but I thought I would chime in on my experiences.

· Registered
205 Posts
I thought it worked in both hi and low gear sets. I am not sure but I think I read that most traction control and abs and esp and (insert acronym) on the treg activated later or slower, depending on how you look at, it in low range.

I know the hill holding feature works in both hi and low. Also, if I read correctly the hill descent will work on a 20 degree grade. I think the manual stated that hill descent only worked in tiptronic mode. So if I haven't muddied the water enough...

· Registered
104 Posts
Being inclined (pardon the pun) to off-road. I have used the hill decent control in my V8 frequently. It works in all gears if in the manual shift side of the Tip. Slippery conditions also engage a decent control via "ESP" even in D or S mode. The savings on brake pads is wonderful, especially on the highway.

For individual speed "limits", get out and try it.

Good luck.

· Registered
104 Posts
Being inclined (pardon the pun) to off-road. I have used the hill decent control in my V8 frequently. It works in all gears if in the manual shift side of the Tip. Slippery conditions also engage a decent control via "ESP" even in D or S mode. The savings on brake pads is wonderful, especially on the highway.

For individual speed "limits", get out and try it.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.