Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an '04 V8 T-reg that just passed 100,000 miles. I have kept up with the scheduled maintenance and am not yet experiencing any issues, but just wanted to know what, if any, high $$$ issues others have experienced with this mileage and above. Bottom line, I am trying to decide whether or not to keep it much longer. Any suggestions/information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
2004 V8 T-Reg
Air Suspension, etc

·
Registered
439 Posts
No issues here. I have the maintenance records for my 85K mile T, and it has generally been trouble free.

Some people experience soft button peeling. I try to get in the car with clean hands washed only with regular water and soap.

A few people (8 stories told here in the forum that I've seen, some may be hearsay) have experienced sudden air suspension bag failure. Sometimes with the transmission in park and the engine at idle. Could happen anytime. Not a cheap item.

A few people may have experienced air strut failure (not necessarily reported in this forum) in 2004 to early 2005 T's, which necessitates replacement of the other three plus the central controller, because the 2004-type struts are no longer made. It is unclear whether VW goodwills the other three plus the controller for Touaregs. If not, this could be a $9000 ordeal.

A few people have experienced transmission failures. New ones are expensive.

Some have experienced driveshaft failure. $1000 or less. Likewise random electronics failures of $1000 or less.

Other than that, with proper maintenance these machines seem to be rock solid. We'll just have to see what breaks in the future.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You have been one of the lucky ones not to have major issues especially with a 2004.

I have a 2005 V8 fully loaded with 96k miles. My 100k mile extended warranty is looking to run out at year end. I have had all the standard issues over the years(thankfully covered under warranty) including transmission replaced, new alternator, etc etc. My $1,500 warranty has easily paid for itself with over close to $15k in repairs.

I to am trying to decide how much longer I should hold on to. I still love my vehicle, but will be a little scary not being covered under a warranty.

·
BANNED
2,818 Posts
I have 136k on my 04 V8. Never had an extended warranty, do not believe in it.
Sure sometimes it pays for it self mosten times not
After 100 k I have replaced driveshaft $600, valve body $1500 front light bulbs $150 and that is it. Mine were not done at the dealer ship.

If you cannot afford to keep past the warranty? That is scary

·
Registered
14 Posts
mine has 130K and usual issues, just replaced driveshaft last weekend = not bad for a grandpa, had the car since new and expect to get 250K

·
Registered
22 Posts
Couple issues with the '04 V10TDI. At 72K miles now. One of the turbos went out at 65K... replaced under VW Platinum Warranty. Nothing else really... Damn thing is solid as a rock!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an '04 V6 which I brought used 4 years ago. I now have 127k miles and do follow the scheduled maintennce which can be pricey, but don't skip them. I had the prop shaft replaced around 55k, still under maintenance. Tires go about every 30K but I found the Hankook tires which now have 40K and they are 50% worn. If you have the High Output Gas headlights, you can expect these to start going over 100k. These will go for $230 each and strongly suggest you do not replace then yourself. Let the dealer do it because chances are good something caused the light to blow and $230 a shot, troubleshooting could be a lot more expensive then pay the VW dealer. I started to feel a rumbling in the front end, and at 125K the right and left front wheel bearing needed to be replaced, this will run about $1100. I have one lingering problem which is a squealing air blower motor which comes and goes.

Normally if a vehicle starts to cost me a lot in maintenace, I move it along. But with the my Touareg I just can not part with it. I love driving as musch today I did when I got it. The leather seats still look new, no cracking and the side body parts are dent resistent, so there is no parking lot demage. I am figuring around 200k before I consider selling it.

The only thing I would like to do is upgrade the Nav system to the newer DVD system which would give me blue tooth for my iPhone.

I high recommend the Touareg and the "04 and '05 years are some the best buys out there. These models were feature rich and all the orginal problems have been fixed already.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
.....If you have the High Output Gas headlights, you can expect these to start going over 100k. These will go for $230 each and strongly suggest you do not replace then yourself. Let the dealer do it because chances are good something caused the light to blow and $230 a shot, troubleshooting could be a lot more expensive then pay the VW dealer. ......
=;
Achtung!
Nice things about forums on a particular make vehicle, are the ways around the obvious, and the obvious being to visit your typical local stealer, and shelling out on their retail pricing on everyday type parts. Those bulbs can be had for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than what you have been quoted!

I don't know what front bearings go for either, but that $1000 price sounds awfully suspicious. I mean, if you shop carefully, a driveshaft can be had for half that bearing price.

Bottom line, you need to shop around!
Welcome to the forum;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine has 72k miles and runs like a babe. Ran out of warranty. I am new in Boston and founf the Best Shop. Brian's garage. Works on VW and Audi only, Works Mon-Fri only and by appoitments only. Great work and way cheaper than dealer service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an '04 V6 with 100K. The only issue I have experienced was the Drive Shaft failing at 90K. Other than that the Touareg is a solid car which I plan to drive for another 100K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all! After posting my question, I started getting the "Driveshaft Shimmy", so will probably go with CO Driveshafts for a replacement. Not sure quite what to do, as I really like the T-reg. And hate the thought of another car payment on a new vehicle. Might keep it for awhile longer, keeping up with the scheduled maintenance.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have owned my early 04 since 2005, and when my wife drove it (very short trips and not often) it was having problem after problem. I have been driving it for 2 years now, and have worked all the bugs out and it drives well, and has been almost trouble free. I do have an extended warranty, as it was a great deal ($2000 for 4 years), and I plan on driving it until it costs more to repair then buying a replacement.

I really think that the more you drive them, the less problems you have with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine has been great, the only four things I've had go wrong with it:

1. TPMS Sensor Batteries (I just disconnected the system and re-flashed the computer, as the system would frequently be set off in my commute to work).
2. Coils (factory recall).
3. Drive-Shaft Carrier Bearing which it is a part with a shelf-life. I got mine from Vertex in Florida, I saved a few nickels over Colorado Drive-Shaft. Call them as the Core charge quoted on-line is different from the charge over the phone (much less). You can install it yourself in under forty-five minutes.
4.Drivers side airbag fault (again just cleared it and it went away).

Love the vehicle and plan on keeping it through two hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have had our '04 for three years. It just turned over 100k. Here is what I have had go wrong: Tire pressure system is turned off because of false alarms a couple years ago, one fuel pump went out and I had to tow it to the stealership for a new one, I have changed the battery, heater blower motor, the two coolant temp sensors (that kept both radiator fans running after the engine was off) and the timing belt/water pump myself. I think the head lights are about to go. And from what the dealer has told me about its service record it had several recalls and updates before we purchased it with 45k miles on it. We love the thing so much I don't know what it would have to do for us to get rid of it....

I wish it was as reliable as my 150k mile '04 TDI Jetta, but then again I would still rather drive the Touareg!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would replace transmission fluid, differential fluid, gearcase fluid
put a new battery in, flush coolant, change brake fluid, higher performance air filter and nice bosch plugs. and go with it
what about driveshaft?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have an 04 Reed Green Touareg, bought used out of North Hollywood LA with 47 thousand miles, now have 71 thousand. No problems except tpms sensors which plan on disabling soon also have the ac bad smell on startup sometimes, plan to clean evaporator and filter. Love the vehicle, a great driver for our Idaho lack of decent roads. Appreciate all the good info on this site, thanks guys. Countryboy

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a good thread...

I just purchased an '04 V8 with 67K miles and I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty with it. It wasn't cheap...$2,750 for 2 years/24K miles. I have 60 days to cancel, so I've been doing some research to see if I can predict any major issues that might come up that would make the warranty worth it.

The driveshaft was replaced last month by the previous owner, and the records indicate that all scheduled maintenance has been performed, so...I'm still on the fence about whether the extended warranty is worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have an 04 Reed Green Touareg, bought used out of North Hollywood LA with 47 thousand miles, now have 71 thousand. No problems except tpms sensors which plan on disabling soon also have the ac bad smell on startup sometimes, plan to clean evaporator and filter. Love the vehicle, a great driver for our Idaho lack of decent roads. Appreciate all the good info on this site, thanks guys. Countryboy
Heres the rest of the story, found a stash of dog food and fuzzy soggy stuff totally filling the area under the brake booster and electrical relay box on the left side! was wet and moldy and smelled like a dead coyote, has been there for who knows how long, maybe was there when I bought the vehicle anyway cleaned it all out and no damage done really glad to be rid of the smell, also changed the cabin air filter, has been smelly since april, could only run ac on recirculate! Hope this may help someone.thanks

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
31 Participants
konquistador
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing