Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VR6 has always had the standard rough idle for 20-30 seconds, usually idling around 1200, then dropping to 800 and smoothing out.

In the last week, the rough idle has starting to have some loud popping and slapping sounds assoiciated with it. It doesnt sound like engine internals, but it still very concerning.

And ideas?

Plugs were replaced at 40,000 now at 50,0000
Oil change 5200 miles ago, oil is dead on the top line warm
Ran through a tank of gas and refueled. Brand new 91 octane

Once its been run for a few minutes, its fine and is OK for about 10 hours.
The voltage has been sitting right around 12 or lower before starting up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None. However I just found what's attached. There is a piece on the front of the engine and it's missing an electrical cable... Anyone know if should be this way???

·
Registered
150 Posts
Crankcase breather valve. It's the round valve on the top left hand corner of the engine (facing the engine). Symptoms you describe point to it. Try this, there is a valve stem/opening on the backside of the valve (facing the firewall) cover with your finger to prevent suction, the idle should stabilize.

If this is the culprit, part can easily be replaced, no special tool needed. I'm not sure but I think the part comes to around $152. All you need is a screw driver to pry the hose off the valve cover, loosen the breather valve tabs, pull up and replace. Here's a page with instructions and diagrams. Good Luck!

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f62/crankcase-breather-22405-2.html

·
Registered
165 Posts
My VR6 has always had the standard rough idle for 20-30 seconds, usually idling around 1200, then dropping to 800 and smoothing out.

In the last week, the rough idle has starting to have some loud popping and slapping sounds assoiciated with it. It doesnt sound like engine internals, but it still very concerning.

And ideas?

Plugs were replaced at 40,000 now at 50,0000
Oil change 5200 miles ago, oil is dead on the top line warm
Ran through a tank of gas and refueled. Brand new 91 octane

Once its been run for a few minutes, its fine and is OK for about 10 hours.
The voltage has been sitting right around 12 or lower before starting up.
There was no harm replacing the plugs at 40K but as a heads-up on the 3.6 VR6 the interval is 60K miles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very aware that it's due at 60k but truck was new to me at 36k. Great way to check for engine issues on a used car!

Also, I have a 3.6l VR6 which doesnt have the same breather. However, I think I solved the issue.

A. Engine is registering misfires during cold idle on 1 2 and 3
B. Swapped coils from 1-2-3 and 4-5-6
C. Misfires are now hitting on 4-5-6

Checked coils, all fall into the recall and were never swapped!

Also, during testing I checked the battery, it was putting out 10.2 volts under load prior to turning over engine. New battery in and misfires are much much less. Going in on 10-4 for new coils.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you have a misfire you should have a check engine light within seconds. Do not drive the vehicle until you get the misfires sorted.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckily this is not your traditional misfire. The ECU detects a misfire as a incomplete fire or a hard miss. A hard miss means the cylinder did not fire. Incomplete means it did not fully fore or
Fired late. A hard miss will trigger engine light. A late fire will be shown in misfire counts temporarily.

At least that's my userstanding based on my work with the last 4 VWs I owned

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im starting to think it may actually be the breather. I pulled the hose off feeding to the intake off to check for oil and it is saturated. This leads me to think the full vaccume of the intake is being pulled through this line and the breather isn't regulating it until it warms up slightly. This would lead to a VERY rough idle and misses in a severe case.

Going to let the dealer know about the oil in the line and my concerns. Hopefully they will listen!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rarod wins the Internet today. Got back to my Touareg today after driving the wife's Golf. Breather pipe is SOAKED in oil. I removed the breather pipe, let it sit a few minutes then reconnected and started the truck. 0 misfires, sat down right to 720 rpms. Killed truck and tries to restart without venting crankcase with engine cold, boom, popping, snorting and 1200 rpms. Tried venting the crankcase again, and again success!

Now its down to convincing the dealer, but they are used to me going in and "requesting" a specific repair under warranty.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let the parts throwing begin!

At least VW has recognized the issue and has the Tech Line involved:

Replaced so far:
Alternator
Alternator to "controller" wire because the resistance was causeing a 4 volt drop
ordered Throttle Body
ordered valve cover to replace breather
replaced coils

It will be there until next Tuesday. Calling VW Customer service later today to ask for this months payment to be covered as I have had it in the shop one month out of this year.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After talking to VW Customer Care, they instantly gave me a $200 credit towards anything at the dealer which is cool. I also got them to agree to 1/2 a payment if the truck is in the shop past Wednesday.

Still no word on the repair. Im trying to convince them of the breather issue, but they just dont seem to think it goes bad on this engine. I think they just dont want to take the intake manifolt off and replace the valve cover as that is a pretty decent project. If the throttle body doesnt make any impact, my next move is to go and show them the oil in the breather line and demonstrate that venting the breather for 10-15 seconds before starting makes it run beautifully!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Terry - which dealer is it at?

Westside, Schmelz, Inver Grove, Burnsville, etc....

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 09 VR6 it's just the same... VW told me that everything is normal .... I guess i am not the only one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Terry - which dealer is it at?

Westside, Schmelz, Inver Grove, Burnsville, etc....
It's currently at Westside. I haven't heard from them since last Thursday and they are no longer returning my calls. Looks like another call to VW corporate and a drive over there after work today to figure out what the hell is going on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got ahold of them after eight attempts yesterday, including leaving messages on the "We're extremely busy" line. Throttle body came in Monday, didn't have time to put in in until today.

Called today at noon. Truck is the same, bad idle and revving issues. Engine feels "delayed" to the shop forman. I'm then told that it will be a few days as they keep working on it by process of elimination (parts throwing). I ask how much time he thinks they will put into it. He states 2.5-3 hours a day at the most. Lovely. They have, admittedly, no clue what is wrong and no longer want to release the Reg until it is fixed.

Now it comes down to the fact that they have done the following in a week:
Eight days at the dealer with virtually nothing done.
1. Changed an alternator wire
2. Replaced the throttle body

That's it. Seriously. Calling the shop manager in a moment to see what can be done to accellerate this repair. I mean seriously. It's having idling issues and a misfire and you have YET to check the ignition after telling me you were going to swap coils?

I also have a hunting trip scheduled this weekend which is now on hold until they can find me a Touareg as a loaner. No way in hell in taking this Jetta into the woods up north. It MIGHT make it but I might get shot!

I have always had "good" service from Westside, but this is making me think twice before I bring it there again.

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Things that come to mind are: coil pack (one or more), PCV/breather tube, bad gas, clogged fuel line/filter(s) - and of course check the battery. Just my 2 cents

siberian

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In total agreement with you siberian.

I went and talked to the service manager. Actually the service manager is out so "Mike" one of the service writers is helping out this week. Super easy going and honest guy. He agreed with me that before ANYTHING else happens, all six coils should be swapped. Neither of us understand why that wasn't step one as these coils are known to go bad and are from a recall year!

They finally agreed that oil in the breather line ISNT normal (as in dripping oil, a little is fine) and will be working through that issue, most likely with the new valve cover and breather.

Battery was replaced two weeks ago when I first was working through these issues. Its occurring with various suppliers of fuel and ran on good 91 octane for 200 miles after the last oil change, air filter and battery. '

On the plus side, the found a Touareg loaner so hunting is back on! Woo!

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
I don't recall the coil packs being on a recall on the 08s. That was for earlier years (I have two of them), but it's worth a shot given the symptoms. It should be really easy to check which one (if any) are malfunctioning. Also check air filter whilst you're at it as that can cause O2 starvation and erratic driving, the MAF would also be something I'd be looking at. Has it triggered any codes?

siberian

1 - 20 of 152 Posts