Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched for quite some time and cannot seem to find the right answer. I have a good quality Morimoto 35 watt 3000 kelvin hid kit that i bought a while ago, and I'm considering on installing it on my 2008 touareg in the fog lights. Now my question is, upon installing the kit has anyone had error messages come up on the dash? Does the green "bulb out" light come on? If so, what is the solution you (if any) did you come up with? I did find a couple threads where people say they used the canbus adapters but they still had problems with the lights not coming on all the time and flickering at times.

So my question is would a relay help solve that problem? So instead of connecting from the vehicles fog connector to the ballast and to the bulbs, connect from the fog connector to the relay, then a positive from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the ballast and bulb. So the headlight switch would only trigger the relay, and the lights would be powered straight from the battery. Hopefully i described in a way that is understandable. Or would this cause more problems and not solve anything?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Order the CanBus adapter/harness from Morimoto/TheRetrofit Source , where you probably got the Morimoto HID kit, and you will get less error messages.

I had a Morimoto HID kit in my foglights along with the CanBus in-line harness, until I switched to an LED kit, the LED kit is just as bright but with NONE of the negatives of HID like the flickering, error messages or the occasional non-fire and the slow ramp up. LED is flawless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Order the CanBus adapter/harness from Morimoto/TheRetrofit Source , where you probably got the Morimoto HID kit, and you will get less error messages.

I had a Morimoto HID kit in my foglights along with the CanBus in-line harness, until I switched to an LED kit, the LED kit is just as bright but with NONE of the negatives of HID like the flickering, error messages or the occasional non-fire and the slow ramp up. LED is flawless.
Thats exactly what i want to avoid, any chance of flickering or misfires! so my main question is, rather than powering the hid kit through the canbus, power it straight from the battery via a relay using the original switch/harness as the trigger wire. Do you think i that will eliminate all of the error messages or will it be identical to the inline canbus adapter?

·
Registered
906 Posts

I've heard a lot of people say that LEDs interfere with the FM radio causing a lot of static.
You haven't had that problem?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I've heard a lot of people say that LEDs interfere with the FM radio causing a lot of static. You haven't had that problem?
I think this is an issue for LEDs powered by an AC source, like a when you replace an incandescent bulb in a table lamp with an LED bulb. If the LED is powered by a DC system like in a car it wouldn't be an issue.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think this is an issue for LEDs powered by an AC source, like a when you replace an incandescent bulb in a table lamp with an LED bulb. If the LED is powered by a DC system like in a car it wouldn't be an issue.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
This is for car headlights I'm talking about.

It might possibly be the cooling fan for the bulbs causing the interference.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
This is for car headlights I'm talking about. It might possibly be the cooling fan for the bulbs causing the interference.
Right, I understand this is car headlights. I've heard of EMI issues when replacing incandescent lights with LEDs in household AC-powered devices like lamps. But not cars.

Let us know if you get a definitive answer. I'm kind of curious now.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thats exactly what i want to avoid, any chance of flickering or misfires! so my main question is, rather than powering the hid kit through the canbus, power it straight from the battery via a relay using the original switch/harness as the trigger wire. Do you think i that will eliminate all of the error messages or will it be identical to the inline canbus adapter?
I had a Corvette, and a G8GT, where both had harnesses that used power straight from the fusebox, and even though each vehicle had a Morimoto HID kit, there were occasional issues with non-firing, for some reason it is just the nature of the beast with HID.

It is exactly why I went with LED, no more issues with non-firing and instant-fire/full power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What watt did you guys go for led lights?
Are they for the fogs or low beams?
I have heard that leds are not bright as hids from the net but that maybe depending on output of the leds. How much watt is suitable for low beam? Any opinion?

For the OP, you might need error canceller/capacitor for you hid kit if you have purchased non canbus one. You can easily purchase those from ebay but not sure about quality tho. Just be careful with polarity when you connect them as wrong polarity can break the error canceller in a single try.

I recommend purchasing canbus error free hid kit which comes with error canceller in it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have heard that leds are not bright as hids from the net but that maybe depending on output of the leds. How much watt is suitable for low beam? Any opinion?

For the OP, you might need error canceller/capacitor for you hid kit if you have purchased non canbus one. You can easily purchase those from ebay but not sure about quality tho. Just be careful with polarity when you connect them as wrong polarity can break the error canceller in a single try.

I recommend purchasing canbus error free hid kit which comes with error canceller in it.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/led-kit-installed-in-my-fog-lights-yay-222330.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a Corvette, and a G8GT, where both had harnesses that used power straight from the fusebox, and even though each vehicle had a Morimoto HID kit, there were occasional issues with non-firing, for some reason it is just the nature of the beast with HID.

It is exactly why I went with LED, no more issues with non-firing and instant-fire/full power.

Yes i agree with both you on that, on my previous vehicle (Subaru) I've never had a problem with neither headlights or fog lights, they fired up every single time dead honest as i was surprised my self. But the electrical system on those cars is much more simple. So today i tried wiring up the kits through a relay just to see what i get, and they only flash. Same with the relay it only triggers for a millisecond, so i answered my own question with the relay setup. I still need a canbus adapter just like jindandy said!

As for the LED's, i would definitely buy them if i didn't have this kit sitting in a brand new box lol. So as soon as i get the adapter from TRS i will post up some results!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have and had used the CanBus harness from TRS and it worked, but was not 100%.

The LED kits are under $100, even cheaper than even the least expensive Morimoto kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts