Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW Touareg 05 6 Cylinder
My passenger side HID headlight flickers, I've installed two new bulbs (from different sources). Can anyone let me know why this is happening and is there a fix. I can't seem to find replacements for the HID assemblies in either LED or Halogen. All I find on the market is going from Halogen to LED. All sound recommendations welcomed.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Check the wiring inside the front headlights first. The insulation is known to perish leaving bare wires.

After that then, as above, consider new ballasts. I think someone found the ballasts on the Touareg are the same used in an American marque and are a lot cheaper.

One other thing: there are a lot of cheap ebay knock-offs regarding bulbs. Buy Philips or similar high quality bulbs from a trustworthy source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

THanks for the troubleshooting tips. The light flickers almost within a minute of coming on. I've inspected the wires in the headlamp unit and all appears good. Anyone know why some of these HID bulbs are blue tint and pink tint when new? Different manufacturers or broad specs. ( cap y color chart)?

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Flickering is most likely a bad ballast or one going out soon. The difference in the colors, that's the temperature color. 4500k is normal. The higher the number, the more blue/purple it looks, but the less light output you get. I'm running 6k's in my touareg. It's slightly blue.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I am going to throw a lot of random headlight stuff at you.

The Touareg wiring harness where the back of the light connects to the car sometimes has a problem. Be sure that the headlight is tightly seated. More info in other threads.

The wiring inside of almost ALL of the headlight becomes brittle and breaks down with age. This is an obvious manufacturing defect that VW denies all knowledge of.

A few reports of the glue seals failing in a small number of headlights, letting water seep into the lights.

A few reports that the reflective surface on the high/low beam shutter can be prone to delaminate. When this happens, you have really dim low beam lights. Seeing that this part is in a very protected location, this is yet another manufacturing defect.

It is normal for new/replacement hid bulbs to have a funny color for the first 100 hours. They have a break-in time before the final color sets.

Here is some info on the ballasts if you go that route.

If you put in new (not counterfeit) bulbs and cleaned the lens, the only things left is the ballast or the wire between the ballast and the bulb.

Beware of fake bulbs. They are often sold in packages that look legit and it is very hard to tell the fakes bulbs from the real ones. Well the fake ones are often dim or die in the first 90 days... but other then that.

Here is the correct ballast
https://www.google.com/search?q=LAD5G+12+pin+ballast

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/hid-lighting-fyi-54131.html

new twist on ballast replacement

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/2005-v8-with-xenon-anyone-know-a-cheap-place-to-get-control-module-187105.html

OEM HID Valeo LAD5G Ballast Repair

The LAD5G ballast was also used in the following vehicles:
Alfa Romeo 166 2003-2007
Audi A4 S4 2002-2005
Porsche Cayenne 2003-2006
Volkswagen (VW) Touareg 2004-2006

Cadillac CTS 2003-2007
Citroen C5 from 2001 to 2004
Citroen C8 from 2002
Chrysler 300c from 2005
Cadillac CTX SRX 2003-2007
Fiat Ulysse from 2002
SAAB 9-5 2003-2006
Jaguar XK8/XKR 2003-2005
Jaguar XJ8/XJR 2003-2005 up to VIN G40555

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the assistance. I started over by using quality Sylvania bulbs, so far so good. ON more thorough inspection I found the wiring harness on both ends was fault potential (brittle insulation and exposed stranded wires near each other.) Not sure if this was the culprit but I am replacing the harnesses as well (about $60 each).

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sensible decision as it's a known issue.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The wiring on every hid headlight VW sold is going to fail sooner or later.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for all the assistance. I started over by using quality Sylvania bulbs, so far so good. ON more thorough inspection I found the wiring harness on both ends was fault potential (brittle insulation and exposed stranded wires near each other.) Not sure if this was the culprit but I am replacing the harnesses as well (about $60 each).
I took both my headlights apart and replaced EVERYTHING. Projecters, ballasts, everything. I find that these bulbs burn very hot and burn the projector bowl, I've seen it on a lot of Touaregs. These hella projectors don't seem to hold up well to heat..

I put two bixenon projectors (two H1) in place of the ones already there, so I can run a quad low beam or quad high beam. (Some states have different laws and people think your high beams are on).

I've used both xenon and led on my Touareg and find that xenon throws light better farther and wider than led. It'll be a while til they catch up.. Unless you want to retrofit a Corolla LED or Acura jewel eye in a Treg headlight.. I've yet to try that $$$.

See burned headlight bowl example here (which is very similar to the HELLA projector used in the Tregs):

For me this didn't cut it:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the inside wiring harness to the headlights,(2005 V8 Touareg) my wire insulation is brittle and completely gone. Wanting to replace the wiring but can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the inside wiring harness to the headlights,(2005 V8 Touareg) my wire insulation is brittle and completely gone. Wanting to replace the wiring but can't find it anywhere.
Don't know if there is one for the 2005 Treg. There is none for the 2007-10 bi-xenon headlights.
VW know about the faulty insulation but claim it is "wear and tear"

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
DIY job or go to a good auto-electrician.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts