Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan to buy one of old tourag or cayenne in iceland. since iceland is sooo expansive to get serviced. i prefer much reliable one. but do they share same problems on engine, cooling, break pressure, electricity wires? and which engine is most reliable driving along mid of highway?
Thankou.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You say 'old' Touareg. The next sentence talks about expensive. You will find that 'old' 'Touareg' and 'expensive' are all different ways of saying the same thing. The Touareg is VW's attempt to build a high end car it is very complex, the computer is essential throughout the car and the way it is designed makes it very difficult to figure out what is going wrong and what to do about it. I suspect that Iceland adds a whole other order of expense because I don't imagine many were ever sold there therefore very few if any service providers have any experience at all.
I don't know about Porsche (the Cayenne) but I suspect that Porsche has done a little better implementing a luxury SUV in the Cayenne than VW did with the Touareg.
An older Touareg will DEFINITELY cost you a lot of money to keep working. Even if it isn't in Iceland.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Read the buying a used Touareg thread to get up to speed on the VW - the link is in my signature.

Some problems are the same like the centre bearing on the prop shaft - the JimI fix sorts that by the way.

Porsche parts are sometimes more expensive but then again sometimes cheaper than VW parts even though they may share the same part number!

Dealers are expensive so it's handy if you have a good local guy or you are good on the spanners yourself.

You will need VCDS from Ross-Tech.

Yes there are other cheaper code readers but . . .

You pay to play with big old 4x4s.

No one can tell you which car would be more reliable - that will be pure luck!

So if you are on a budget buy something else.

·
Registered
63 Posts
want reliable - buy a Toyota 4-Runner. want to spend money- buy an old Touareg !
Read up on Toyota frame rust. Reliability goes out the window if your frame is rusted thru.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Toyota four runners and tacomas have rust issues,BUT the co recalled these cars and pickups to be rust proofed and cleaned up. My son had his Tacoma called in for the service. He was quite happy since he didn't know he had a problem. The four runner isn't remotely in the class of the Touaregs or cayenne,but the servicing issue to cost a ton.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
tadpole
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing