Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, today I got myself a 2014 Touareg V6 4XMotion. Pretty happy, will get delivered to me from east coast some time in next ten days.

I had two main drivers for this car, towing my 7.05m caravan and also a daily driver for Mrs. Should satisfy both of those pretty readily. I need to get myself a electronic brake controller to add to it for caravan duties. I've previously had a Tekonsha P3 and would like to get same again. Has anyone had one of these fitted and where in the car is best location? Perhaps others have been used as well but I like the functions and adjustability of the Tekonsha. I also will have to locate a knowledgeable person to fit it - I am near Perth WA. Anyone know anyone around these parts?

Mrs also wants 2ch dash cam - Blackvue 650 is looking like a good unit. Again anyone with experience with these or others?

Regards

Pete.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Hi Pete,
welcome.

I posted a link to an ebay add, which is offering 20% discount for Blackvue dashcam . http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/discounted-dash-cameras-247522.html

I have a P3 brake controller. Scored from these guys..... https://www.autoelec.com.au/ssl/public_autoelec/store_v4/product_detail.asp?id=119&cat=
Great service, excellent communication etc etc

If you're prepared to come to Perth for work to be done...cannot fault the work done by Philip Crouse at Elite Euro Balcatta. Review this thread http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/list-of-auz-wide-mechanics-for-treg-nomads-225569.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome - I've got the P3 fitted down by my left knee. My Touareg came with it fitted so not sure who actually installed it.

Also recommend Phillip very highly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome guys and also tips for help in the Perth area. I will get in touch with Phillip to discuss the work with controller and dash cam fitting. I should have mentioned also I need an Anderson plug for my fridge power in caravan while towing. My Range Rover just recently sold on I had fitted all this stuff but as I'm new to the Treg, I don't have the first hand understanding I did with the Rangie. Will talk to Phil and see where it heads.

Thanks again.

Pete.

:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
I run an AGM battery under the spare wheel in the rear luggage compartment with associated electrical gadgetry to run it from the front battery.

Powers 2 x 12v outlets in the back (to run the WAECO etc) - not to be confused with the VW outlet, which only supplies power when the engine is running.

I then run an Anderson plug from the 2nd battery. There is sufficient give in the rear door seal to allow the anderson plug lead to be connected to the van's anderson plug. I am seriuously considering re-routing this to come out of the panel work via the trailer hitch wiring connection (much neater). Ewie has given me ideas via some PMs from him over the past couple of weeks.

Philip will have the ideas to make it all happen :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Steve et al, I will keep trying to talk to Phil but in the mean time, I was keen to understand the exact mounting position for the P3 that others have chosen. I think near left knee was noted, does this involve drilling the under dash panel? As the car is NOT towing for 99% of the time, I would remove it from the mount for the time when not towing so as not to get in the way. Any photos showing the mount anyone has would be handy if not too much bother.

Also, my caravan and boat and box trailers all have LED lights. When I was towing any of these behind my Rangie, I had to use an intermediate box (resistance box I think) to fool the car into thinking it had regular incandescent globes on the trailer. Will I need to use this with the Touareg? I suspect not as the Treg has LED's itself but interested to hear others experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Pete....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Crispy3,
If you do a search on CT for "Tekonsha P3 mounting position", you will find a long discussion on this subject, which should help with your question.
Regards,

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
My Tekonsha cradle is beside my right knee. The cradle is screwed into the valance that 'covers' the access to under the dash. In the T2, I have positioned it right over the VCDS Cable interface (not by design). I chose this for a few reasons:
1), IMHO it is the best position to see the Tekonsha screen.
2). I am right handed, hence my reaction will be quicker with my right hand (to engage the emergency switch) than I would with my left hand.
3). UHF radio is mounted beside my left knee.

I remove the Tekonsha module when not in use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts