Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got some really irritating behaviour with my Australian 2011 Touareg V6 TDi. It's been doing it the whole time I've owned it (about 2 years).

I release the park brake it by pushing the switch down, and with the car in gear it refuses to move until I prod the throttle, and then it starts to move with the enthusiasm of my 4 year old when I tell him to tidy his toys. It kind of creaks and groans and gradually starts to go about two seconds later. Prod the throttle too hard and it can lurch away fast enough that I have to jump right back on to the brakes. The throttle pressure required and timing of brake release seems to vary, making it a bit iffy when in tight parking situations. If it just started moving without throttle input I would be a little happier - at least I won't have to switch from throttle to brake in a hurry in tight spots.

There seems to be some sort of computer intervention going on - maybe the auto-hold?. I have never used the auto-hold button, and it is never lit.

I would prefer the behaviour of every other auto I've driven - it starts to creep as soon as the e-brake is disengaged and foot brake is released. I'm really uncomfortable not knowing exactly when the thing will release the brakes and get moving.

Is this normal for a Toureg (or any other VW) or should I be doing something differently?

If there is any way to change this behaviour I love to hear of it, but I can revise my expectations if I have to - I love everything else about this car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This does sortof sound like auto hold behavior. I added auto hold to my 2016. Used it a couple times and find its function a little odd. It takes more throttle and a pretty significant delay and jerk for the auto hold to release. I have notice a few odd brake holding moments in mine recently. Thought maybe for some reason the fool back assist was activated which would work similar to auto hold where the brakes keep the vehicle from rolling back on a steep grade while going from brake to throttle while in gear. It almost seems like an abs auto hold glitch or maybe if one of your level sensors is messed up and it is initiating the roll back prevention when it’s not needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. If it's normal I can probably live with it. If it can be turned off it would be great. Sometimes I wish cars had 'adult mode' so we can turn off the doohickeys as required.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure if it’s normal or not but you can disable the auto hold via VCDS. That would maybe give you an idea of whether that’s causing it.. but even then the rollback assist would still be active. Not sure if there would be a way to turn that off. The gadgets are nice but definitely make things complicated. And sometimes they are more trouble than they are worth.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You are in luck, you can turn off the auto-hold. For short term, just lift the front button and switch off the park brake. It will stay off until you apply the park brake again. Alternatively, you can switch off the auto-hold by pressing the second park brake button and you would then have to manually apply the park brake when needed.

Personally, I like the auto-hold and it usually stays on. Occasionally only when manoeuvring into a parking space would I turn it off.

I think that the auto-hold park brake behaviour you describe is more or less normal. I have gotten used to it and no longer notice any issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I sort of don't mind the behaviour, but it's just so...different from any other automatic I've driven. I've found that giving the brakes a decent press also disables it and gets the car moving, which explains why it only seems to work some of the time. I've had a couple of drives on a quiet street to get some idea of how it works. Trying to figure it out with two kids and a wife in the car is rather difficult!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've experienced this on my 2012! Its very strange.. the ONLY time it does this is when I"m parked in my work parking lot - I turn the car on - I turn hard-right to leave the parking lot and let my foot off of the brake. It won't move. So, I stab the throttle briefly, it inches forward then hits the brake again - i hit the throttle, it inches forward, then I hit the brake again. Only when I put my foot on the pedal and give it throttle will it finally release the brakes and drive

It will not do this under ANY other circumstance.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
McClutchin,

Very important...!
Has the brake shoes ever been replaced?? If it has been, then a manual adjustment set up of the shoes, followed by a VAGCOM basic-setting, followed by a grind-in-procedure. If all this has been done then it should be OK. If any step has been missed, you will have issues! A very pedantic setup procedure!
Volkwagens-for-life
Same goes for you. If the shoes are not with in a certain very specific adjustment range then that will also give you issue like you describe!
Hope this helps

·
Registered
927 Posts
But I don't set my parking brake when I'm at work.. Why would that be catching?

Also strange. The past two times I've towed my boat to the marina my parking brake light has been coming on 🤔

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Doesn’t matter if you use the brakes sometimes or not. The brake modules reads the number of impulses from the encoder in the brake motor Every time it used. If it slightly out from what it’s expected to see, it will give an error. Or it can be water in the motor or cable dragging down the electrics. Can only check stuff like this with VAGCOM or appropriate software

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ahh interesting. I'll hit up vagcom and see what I can see in the park brake module. Thank you kindly!

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
If there is an error, it should say” EPB out of of calibration” or “no basic setting” or “require grinding-in procedure”. If no errors then I would leave it alone

·
Registered
927 Posts
Good to know!
Any ideas why the past ~week EVERY time I hook my boat trailer up I get parking brake errors, but I can drive around for days WITHOUT the boat trailer attached and never see the yellow parking brake error?

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
299 Posts
I had similar issues with the push button hand brake in my 2007 Passat. Turned out that electric motors got wet and rusted. Had to replace both sides.

Very expensive fix for unnecessary over-engineering when an old fashioned cable and handle works better and lasts longer and much cheap to replace.

I hope its not the motors in yours that are seizing like it was in mine.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hmm. Well that isn't inspiring. I launch my boat and sometimes have to go up to the rear axles for recover (non-saltwater)

·
Registered
2005 mk1 Touareg V10 tdi in black
299 Posts
The independent mechanic who did the repair said the plastic dust guard eventually lets water in and that causes rust and seizure. He said the plastic had no rubber seal where it mates to the wheel hub and that they get hard and brittle over time and stop doing their job.

Not a big deal in mostly dry climates but we get a lot of rain here and hardly ever a hot sunny day to dry things out.

Believe they were integral to the motor itself so you have to buy a new motor to get a new cover.

When he finished replacing the motors and covers he coated them in silicone to repel moisture.

The repair lasted the full five years I had the car.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
VCDS is your only friend. Worth $300. It will tell you in greater detail where the problem or you’re at the mercy of the dealer or Indy garage

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Which type of motor are you talking about? T3 have rubber seals on one end and a sealed plastic cover which is hermetically sealed at the other, this side houses the 4 magnets

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Ok, understood. The T3 uses a slightly different setup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts