Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - time I introduced myself formally

I have had a couple of Landcruisers ( 80 and 100 series) for the last 30 years as my tow and snow car plus every day commuter. Loved their ruggedness and reliability. Did 350000 km on the first before a friend wrote it off in accident and then 450000 km in the second until I sold it to my son as his off road / camping car recently. Only ever did routine maintenance on them which I do myself and never any other problem. I don't off road and decided to treat myself to something a bit more luxurious and did not really need something as big as the modern cruisers with the family now grown and left home and not really needing hard core off road capability but still needed something as a good tow and snow car plus daily commuter.

The smaller alternatives to a Landcruiser such as a Prado have crude, noisy 4 cylinder diesels with limited power so the V6 TDI Treg seemed the ideal for my use. When looking I discovered the V8 R line existed which looked even more ideal for my use and found a 2013 model with only 62000 km from a VW dealer in Sydney, that was the dealers wifes car I was told - certainly the dealers car as his / her name and address and that of all his friends was still in the sat nav / phone dial system! I suspect the car actually did a bit of time towing the dealers boat or caravan from the wear on the towball ! Otherwise it looked like new and had been serviced at the dealer very regularly since new on a 12 month time basis given the low Kms where I am sure it got the best possible attention from the mechanics. This was the middle of the Covid lockdowns in Australia and the used car prices had dropped so I did a very good deal and got the car shipped down to me in Melbourne after an independent inspection as I could not go to Sydney to do it myself.

Having had the car for 6 months and put 9000 kms on it my impressions are

1. An absolutely awesome diesel V8 with huge torque and perfect for my towing needs, great air suspension, extremely nice interior with all the mod cons of a top of the range 2021 car. The new 2021 R line does not have much more than a bigger infotainment screen.
2. My son has a Mk4 Golf R32 and it goes stopped and handles like a big R32 in everyday use, a real joy to drive. The 8 speed Aisin box is almost always in the right ratio, I prefer a manual but can live with this box especially as current V8 Landcruisers use the same box, so it's one thing I am confident will be reliable. haha
3. The usual issues of a new used car. e.g. only one key supplied so had to get a second one and the remote kessy keys for this model are hard to come by. I got the dealer to knock $1000 of the final negotiated price as only one key and found the only locksmith in Australia with the new spare keys and tools / knowledge to program them about 3 km from where I work
4. Spent a lot of time researching what's really needed for routine maintenance ( versus what VW tell you) and will do a complete fluids / filters change and wearing items service soon. The mechanical complexity and access challenges to components does not worry me as I am a mechanical engineer and have maintained my own Lotus race car for many many years including building my own race engines and gear boxes / diffs etc
5. Got VCDS and started teaching myself to understand the overly complex electronics systems of modern cars. A few months after I bought the car the ACC system stopped working and it was a good learning experience to sort that out (see my other posts). But frustrating that there is no default to a dumb cruise control if the ACC has a problem.
6. A pain getting snow chains to fit on the 21 inch tyres but got a Konig 12mm chain solution that works on the rear wheels fine that makes me legal going to Mt Hotham and maybe on the front which I prefer as long as I make sure they are not flapping around loose.

I still worry about the complexity of the car and resultant long term reliability and will I get 300,000 to 500,000 km trouble free with only routine maintenance over the next 15 years like my Landcruisers in the last 30 years. I hope so, and only time will tell and by then I will have to buy some plug in EV I guess to replace it.

However the joy of planting your foot at 1500 rpm and hearing the roar and feeling the acceleration of 800 Nm of twin turbo diesel V8 is worth it :)

cheers
Rohan

·
Learner
5,465 Posts
Welcome to the V8 Touareg club, hope you enjoy your experience.
Reach out for any questions you may have...
Re point 1, there are plenty of differences between 7P pre 2015 V8 and even more so with the latest CR V8.
Also, for snow chains better to have 18s for all that kind of terrain .
Good luck

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Curious about the new key cost. They should be about GB£300 from the dealer, give or take a few quid.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,372 Posts
Welcome Rohan.

I know exactly what you mean when you say it’s like a big R32 :cool:

Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg 3.0 TDI
15 Posts
Hi all - time I introduced myself formally

I have had a couple of Landcruisers ( 80 and 100 series) for the last 30 years as my tow and snow car plus every day commuter. Loved their ruggedness and reliability. Did 350000 km on the first before a friend wrote it off in accident and then 450000 km in the second until I sold it to my son as his off road / camping car recently. Only ever did routine maintenance on them which I do myself and never any other problem. I don't off road and decided to treat myself to something a bit more luxurious and did not really need something as big as the modern cruisers with the family now grown and left home and not really needing hard core off road capability but still needed something as a good tow and snow car plus daily commuter.

The smaller alternatives to a Landcruiser such as a Prado have crude, noisy 4 cylinder diesels with limited power so the V6 TDI Treg seemed the ideal for my use. When looking I discovered the V8 R line existed which looked even more ideal for my use and found a 2013 model with only 62000 km from a VW dealer in Sydney, that was the dealers wifes car I was told - certainly the dealers car as his / her name and address and that of all his friends was still in the sat nav / phone dial system! I suspect the car actually did a bit of time towing the dealers boat or caravan from the wear on the towball ! Otherwise it looked like new and had been serviced at the dealer very regularly since new on a 12 month time basis given the low Kms where I am sure it got the best possible attention from the mechanics. This was the middle of the Covid lockdowns in Australia and the used car prices had dropped so I did a very good deal and got the car shipped down to me in Melbourne after an independent inspection as I could not go to Sydney to do it myself.

Having had the car for 6 months and put 9000 kms on it my impressions are

1. An absolutely awesome diesel V8 with huge torque and perfect for my towing needs, great air suspension, extremely nice interior with all the mod cons of a top of the range 2021 car. The new 2021 R line does not have much more than a bigger infotainment screen.
2. My son has a Mk4 Golf R32 and it goes stopped and handles like a big R32 in everyday use, a real joy to drive. The 8 speed Aisin box is almost always in the right ratio, I prefer a manual but can live with this box especially as current V8 Landcruisers use the same box, so it's one thing I am confident will be reliable. haha
3. The usual issues of a new used car. e.g. only one key supplied so had to get a second one and the remote kessy keys for this model are hard to come by. I got the dealer to knock $1000 of the final negotiated price as only one key and found the only locksmith in Australia with the new spare keys and tools / knowledge to program them about 3 km from where I work
4. Spent a lot of time researching what's really needed for routine maintenance ( versus what VW tell you) and will do a complete fluids / filters change and wearing items service soon. The mechanical complexity and access challenges to components does not worry me as I am a mechanical engineer and have maintained my own Lotus race car for many many years including building my own race engines and gear boxes / diffs etc
5. Got VCDS and started teaching myself to understand the overly complex electronics systems of modern cars. A few months after I bought the car the ACC system stopped working and it was a good learning experience to sort that out (see my other posts). But frustrating that there is no default to a dumb cruise control if the ACC has a problem.
6. A pain getting snow chains to fit on the 21 inch tyres but got a Konig 12mm chain solution that works on the rear wheels fine that makes me legal going to Mt Hotham and maybe on the front which I prefer as long as I make sure they are not flapping around loose.

I still worry about the complexity of the car and resultant long term reliability and will I get 300,000 to 500,000 km trouble free with only routine maintenance over the next 15 years like my Landcruisers in the last 30 years. I hope so, and only time will tell and by then I will have to buy some plug in EV I guess to replace it.

However the joy of planting your foot at 1500 rpm and hearing the roar and feeling the acceleration of 800 Nm of twin turbo diesel V8 is worth it :)

cheers
Rohan
Welcome Rohan, hope we all remain covid free so we can get out and enjoy these fantastic vehicles.
Pete

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious about the new key cost. They should be about GB£300 from the dealer, give or take a few quid.
The cost of key and coding from the locksmith was about A$350. The same key and coding from the VW dealer was A$1000 hence the discount the dealer gave me on the car price. There are two types of keys that look the same externally but apparently only one works with the remote keyless entry and stop start on the 2013 Touareg and of course its the hard one to find and expensive so you need to be careful when buying off the internet.

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the V8 Touareg club, hope you enjoy your experience.
Reach out for any questions you may have...
Re point 1, there are plenty of differences between 7P pre 2015 V8 and even more so with the latest CR V8.
Also, for snow chains better to have 18s for all that kind of terrain .
Good luck
Hi Singh
Yes lots of differences but for my purposes and tastes I find the pre 2015 7P has all the bells and whistles I could possibly want and more :). So personally I see little difference between the 2013 version and the later ones

If I was driving to Hotham on the roads I first started on in winter 45 years ago when it was a frozen mud track then yes I would have bought a set of new 18 inch wheels and better tyres to use in winter but these days I am unlucky if I need to fit chains once a year as the road is so good and ploughed so regularly. The car has the standard scorpion verde summer tyres and I will change to the all season versions when I wear the current ones out, which were new when I bought the car.

I love your posts on unlocking some of the hidden gems in the electronics and will pursue some of them overtime.

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
65 Posts
"I still worry about the complexity of the car and resultant long term reliability and will I get 300,000 to 500,000 km trouble free with only routine maintenance over the next 15 years like my Landcruisers in the last 30 years."

Fantastic vehicles, but "Trouble Free" and "Touareg" are not synonymous. Especially for 15 years and 300k to 500k km. So the answer to your question is a resounding NO. And you hit the nail on the head with "complexity". They are not forgiving to neglect of any kind, and you might as well consider routine and recommended maintenance/replacement parts as an absolute requirement. You can kick a Landcruiser when it's down, and it comes back for more. Not so the Touareg. Don't get me wrong however, I love mine to death. It's a fantastic, highly capable SUV, but you have to have the right mindset about Touareg ownership from the outset, or it will forever torment you. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
50,000 kilometers and sell..........to me please.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
50,000 kilometers and sell..........to me please.
Ha Ha Ha. I have put 10000 km on it in last 6 months since I bought it to go from 60000k to 70000k. Don't think I will be selling it soon. I have developed a more comprehensive preventative maintenance service schedule than VW document as the official schedule is really no more than change the oil and filter, change the brake fluid two yearly and inspect and change brake pads / disks as need and visual check the rest and change anything obvious. Things like the toothed belt and tensioner pully driving the High pressure fuel pump seem to be completely ignored for example. With the right preventative maintenance I should be able to get it to last at least 10 years and to 250,000 km which I should be at by then.

cheers
Rohan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts