Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever put a small aluminium tinny on there roof.
What sort of setup do you use?
Cheers Paul

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg Moonlight Blue
5,702 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has ever put a small aluminium tinny on there roof.
What sort of setup do you use?
Cheers Paul
G'day Paul,
Welcome. Have seen people put kayaks and associated contraption to lift and swing it but not quite a tinny.
Perhaps you could be the first with matching a Touareg with a tinny on the roof.
A quick search should help you discover any posts on the topic.

·
Registered
2021 Touareg 210TDI R-Line Wolfsburg Edition Pure White
16 Posts
Haven't done it but saw a Touareg in a Southport caravan park towing a big van plus carrying a not so small tinny (looked 3.5-4m) on the roof. He had a large racking system and used inclined rails attached to the sides of the rack to get it up and down. This was when we were buying ours paying attention to weight limits and I thought there is no way the load on the roof would be under 100kg - the rack alone had to be over 15kg and even a small <4m tinny goes close to 100kg. I reckon with that and all the gear lying around and the van he would have been way over GVM as well, but his plates said he'd come a long way so obviously the car was handling it. Wouldn't want to encounter a zealous weight inspector though! This article might be useful Boating Advice: The lowdown on car toppers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't done it but saw a Touareg in a Southport caravan park towing a big van plus carrying a not so small tinny (looked 3.5-4m) on the roof. He had a large racking system and used inclined rails attached to the sides of the rack to get it up and down. This was when we were buying ours paying attention to weight limits and I thought there is no way the load on the roof would be under 100kg - the rack alone had to be over 15kg and even a small <4m tinny goes close to 100kg. I reckon with that and all the gear lying around and the van he would have been way over GVM as well, but his plates said he'd come a long way so obviously the car was handling it. Wouldn't want to encounter a zealous weight inspector though! This article might be useful Boating Advice: The lowdown on car toppers
Hi thanks for your reply. That was most helpful. Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts