Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have our old Yakima equipment that we would like to use on the Treg. Are there Yakima towers available for the Touareg? Looks like Thule makes something that will work but all our accesorries are Yakima right now.
Thanks, Manitotreg

· Registered
64 Posts
I am currently working on a adapter to work with a Yakima Powder Hound rack. It consist of a T-slot bolts, neoprene washers, aluminum washer and a 1.25" square aluminum block. I will take pictures throughout the process.

· Registered
104 Posts
Yakima currently does not have any mounts for the Treg factory racks. They are supposedly in delevopment.

The LoadWarrior and MegaWarrior baskets mount directly to the racks. Other "mounts" mount to the baskets.

Do the numbers, and see what works for you.

· Registered
34 Posts
I have a set of Yakima kayak racks from my old Pathfinder that I'd like to adapt to my Touareg. Has anybody done this, and what sort of hardware is needed. According to the Yakima website, they have nothing that fits the Treg.

· Registered
7 Posts
Clark Addison wrote:
I have a set of Yakima kayak racks from my old Pathfinder that I'd like to adapt to my Touareg. Has anybody done this, and what sort of hardware is needed. According to the Yakima website, they have nothing that fits the Treg.
I also have gone from a Pathfinder to the Touareg, and I found that the old "rail runner" towers would fit the Touareg's tracks, but I went with the landing pads and control towers. As shown in Jaste's photo in the previous post, they work well, and I like the fact that I can pop off the racks, which I use for carrying my canoe or kayak, very quickly and then slide the factory racks back on.

I just checked the Yakima site, and the configurator shows that the Universal Mighty mounts will work on the standard rack. Looks like I need to go to REI and give them a try for those times when I don't want to swap off the factory racks to carry something smaller like skis or my bike.

Cathy

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Old Yakima parts worked!

After going through all our old Yakima parts, salvaged from several older vehicles, we have a system that works for us without breaking the bank on a whole new system. Years ago, we owned a Chevy Safari that needed the Yakima landing pad since these vans have no rack system installed. With this Landing Pad, comes something called "Control Towers" that fit into the Landing Pad. These Control Towers also fit into the track system on our Touareg. After fitting the Control Towers, we now can fit our ski racks, and we also carry Sea Kayaks in the summer so those will also fit onto the bars.. Here are some photo's of the ski racks, come summer the Kayaks will be posted.
Enjoy the winter!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.